Getting into wearables

Guest Linda S

Guest Linda S

I've started making jackets lately. The first few are just using sweatshirts as a base. I've purchased some interesting patterns and will begin to make things a bit more complicated. Here are a few jackets I have made the first for my sister Ginny's birthday; the second for my sister Barb's birthday. Barb was born in October and loves Halloween.

Ginny

Ginny

Barbs%20jacket%202.jpg

Barbs%20jacket%203.jpg

I learned to make jackets from Dawn Cavanaugh last year at Innovations. It only took me a year to get going on them. Now I am really having fun.

Linda

Guest Linda S

Okay, now somehow I've lost the first two pictures. The way I post more than one picture is this. Click on the little picture postcard that allows you to insert an image. Paste in the link, say okay. Type in a few returns, then repeat the process. They come in one after the other.

Linda

I concur - those jackets look great. I have done many wearables and plan to do more. I do encourage you to try out any patterns with a "muslin" and do alterations before you cut into your "good" fabric. If you are going to use your APQS and pre-quilt fabric for the garment, do some practicing of a new meander on your "muslin". Use thin batting unless you are going to wear the garment in the winter in Alaska. Keep in mind a very catty remark a friend of mine said - you don't want your wearable to look like a walking potholder! Try to keep it soft and drapeable. I like Hobbs Thermore or cotton flannel or nothing for batting in garments.

Bobbie Moon

Altadena, CA

• 1 year later...
Originally posted by Linda S

I've started making jackets lately. The first few are just using sweatshirts as a base. I've purchased some interesting patterns and will begin to make things a bit more complicated. Here are a few jackets I have made the first for my sister Ginny's birthday; the second for my sister Barb's birthday. Barb was born in October and loves Halloween.

Ginny

Ginny

Barbs%20jacket%202.jpg

Barbs%20jacket%203.jpg

I learned to make jackets from Dawn Cavanaugh last year at Innovations. It only took me a year to get going on them. Now I am really having fun.

Linda

Linda,

Your jackets are soooooo creative. I have made a few on my APQS Freedom this past year. I got the idea from Karen McTavish's book, Mastering the Art of McTavishing. I love her style and it's so much fun to "McTavish" an item. Last year at the Paducah Show I wore a yellow one covered with 'McTavishing" and I was stopped several times as I walked through the exhibit. Everyone was very complimentary and wanted to know where I had "bought" my jacket. I told them the idea wasn't original, but to check out Karen's book. Now, everyone in my guild wants one, too! I would attach a photo but I'm very computer "illiterate".

Brenda Arnett

Otter Creek Quilt Co.

Rineyville, Kentucky

PS> This is only the second time I've posted a reply, but I really enjoy reading all the posts and I get wonderful advice about longarm machine quilting. Thanks to all you!!!

Great job on the jackets Linda. What wonderful presents. I am making a vest using polar fleece fabric from Wal-Mart as it is very similar to sweatshirt fabric and am trying a variety of techniques. Now I have purchased some Thermador and want to quilt fabric on the longarm in the shapes I need for construction. I was figuring I could do a French seam so that the backing looked like lining. The Chico's jacket I wore to Road2CA looks like it was done on a longarm, though it is just quilted fabric made into a jacket. Has anyone tried quilting with nylon fabric, both inside and outside layers? I was thinking that it would be a very lightweight fabric for a jacket that is batted with Thermador and wouldn't be as stiff as 100% cotton quilting fabrics.

Vicki

I just finished a pattern for a vest made to be quilted in one continuous line of quilting. It's a wholecloth design by Laura Lee Fritz called "Pond's Edge" and was a lot of fun to do. Check out Golden Threads for the pattern. There are a few of them, all very nice.

Judy Z

P.S. The ss jackets are very nice!

• 1 month later...

Hi Carrie,

First of all, I don't have a longarm (yet), but do use a frame system to quilt at times. I made several quilted jackets on the frame. I put the backing, flannel (instead of regular batting), and my top on, just the same as for a quilt. My fabrics were all batiks, top & bottom, and I did not wash any of the layers - I was going for a wrinkled look when completed.

Prior to loading the top fabric, I layed it out on my cutting board and put my pattern pieces on top. It was a plain jacket pattern called Anne's Jacket by Rag Merchant (I think). I roughly outlined the pieces with chalk, making them several inches larger than the pattern all around.

Once on the machine, I stippled/meandered the front, back and sleeve pieces out to the chalked lines. Then I took it off the frame and threw it in the washer and then the dryer to shrink it as much as possible. Next, I cut out the jacket pattern from my quilted fabric and sewed it together. I used a coordinating fabric (also washed and dried) for the binding and bound not only the outside edges of the jacket, but also the inside seams, so it looked totally finished off.

It was easy to do, although it seemed to take longer than I expected each time. I guess the binding is what took a while to hand sew it down on the inside, including the length of the sleeves. Anyway, I wear my three jackets a lot. They are 4 and 5 years old now, but still have lots of life left in them, but that said, I guess it is time to make a few more. :)

Anyway, I'm sure you will get lots of explanations, and we all do things our own way, so I hope you get lots of inspiration from the great people on this list.

Sandy

Guest Linda S

Wow - how did this get dragged out of the archives? :D I need to get back into making more jackets. If you are looking for a great pattern, try the Wild Onion Jacket pattern by Susan Italo -- you can buy it at Columbia River Quilting.

Linda

Hi,

I just got back from Paducah!!! I bought pattern for a sweatshirt jacket by "Just Jennifer" which looked very nice on the dispay models and on Jennifer, herself. It is called "Quilted Fleece Jacket." "Easy to follow instructions to transform a sweatshirt." It looks easy enough, but haven't read the instructions yet. Her website is www.justjennifer.com if you want to take a look.

I also bought the Wild Onion Jacket, too. It seems to be a canvas for creativity.

Carrie S.: You're welcome. Those directions are not for a sweatshirt jacket like Linda S. made in the pictures at the beginning of the thread, but may be handy for "non-sweatshirt" jackets. Good luck.

Sandy

Archived