Folded Flower meets feathers galore

Linda, like I said before, you did such a beautiful job with those meandering feathers.

Question: When stitching the spines, do you do the spines for the entire quilt, then roll back to do the feathers or just the spines in the area you can see on the frame? If you do the spines first and then roll back do you have problems with puckers or do the spines nail it down enough so no puckering?

I am curious how long have you been quilting on a longarm?

WOW, Linda I love your quilting!!! This quilt is simply beautiful and your feathers are fantastic!! Did I understand this right.....you did a large meander FIRST and then went back and made the feathers??????

You got a great compliment at the LQS and clearly deserve it....your client should fall in love with that quilt.

Renae

Beautiful job!

I have both of Suzanne\'s both Meandering Magic and More Meandering Magic - They are money makers. Results are stunning and yet pretty quick with the freehand. The customer doesn\'t even know you can do a quilt in half the time than a panto.

Shana,

I have been longarming since August 2005.

I put the big GIANT stipple in for the whole quilt first. It serves as the spine for the feathers. It is really just a big wandering line from left to right; it just looks like a big dogbone.

I do a row then roll the quilt and do row after row of it, being careful not to make my lines straight or too close to the previous row. It really is like stabilizing it so no problems with puckers when a roll/re-roll. I know that can sometimes cause problems but the meander keeps everything where it is supposed to be.

Then I roll back to the top and start filling it with feathers around the spine. Suzanne Earley\'s book talks about doing all the feathers on one side - that\'s how I do it. But you can also do bump-bump feathers, feathers on both sides at once and feathers will ribbons. It has a lot of variety.

And it is fast. ;) I think that it seems fast to me because it is so much fun to do. And there are some nice fills for the inside of the feathers, too.

And I think that those who are not yet experienced with feathers could really train themselves using this pattern on a big piece of muslin. You really develop a comfort level doing the feathers, figuring out how to go around a curve, how to ease a small feather or ribbon into an empty spot.

I think that I wll try her squared feathers next.

Well, Romona-Quilter, you DO ROCK!!! The amvona racks are what my niece uses for hanging her backdrops in her photography business. Who knew? I am going to run right over to her house and give them a better lookin\' at! That is a great system. I can take them to retreats so I can hang up tops and take them to classes to hang up the sample. Oh, my, you have opened a can of worms!! Thanks you!!!

Lisa T

Archived