Fireworks rainout

Margie and I are supposed to be in West Plains, MO today setting up the big, four-county fireworks display but it\'s pouring down rain so they postponed it until tomorrow.

There\'s quilting going on in the other room, but my outdoor activities are limited so I\'m just sitting here sulking.

Lot\'s of thunder and lightning but not much for us storm lovers to get excited about.

Mr. Margie

Our Kool and the Gang concert and Grucci fireworks were cancelled last night because we had a serious thunderstorm. over 100,00 people are without power yet this morning. We have power but my DH and I spent a few hours cleaning up the yard after losing a lot of large limbs off our 40-50 year old cottonwood tree. I was heartsick to hear that two teenagers were killed here when a large tree fell on their car.

The problem with me quilting is that Margie and I would have to fight over the longarm... I\'m not sure who\'d be victorious in that bout.

The good thing about the weather here is that it\'s supposed to clear off and be beautiful tomorrow so the show should go without a hitch. It\'ll be a blast - no pun intended. We\'re shooting several 10" shells and a couple of 12 inchers along with the usual assortment of smaller shells.

I\'ll try to get some pictures and post them.

hmmm...I can see a \'fireworks\' quilt coming out of this.

OK, I\'ll have to jump in here and whine a bit. Today it is suppose to climb up to 98 by 3PM. I\'ve closed off the hot end of the house, cranked up the AC and what is a girl with rust between her toes to do? - Go out and enjoy the sunshine. Ok, now I\'m going to get off of here ..............:cool:

Mary Beth, I think it\'s hard to swing a dead cat without hitting some of your kin around here... Same way with my family!

If you talk to any of them, tell them we\'re going to be in West Plains shooting some big shells tomorrow night!

You and the DH should come down. We\'ll let you help with the show. You\'ll be on your way home by 1:00am. I promise...

mrmargie

:) You could be right about the dead cat :D My relatives are in Pamona, Willow Springs, and just all over that neck of the woods.

DH won\'t go that far for fireworks...I\'m the fun one in this family...I know, that is hard to believe. He has a problem with gas prices right now. My trick....drive where I want to - within reason, I do have my limits - the reset the mileage back to zero and put gas in the truck ;) Pretty good huh?!

Originally posted by lindasewsit

Ok,,,,Paty JO..... did I miss something, or am I just ignorant? What is rust between your linda

LOL! I don\'t think you missed anything, and you aren\'t ignorant, either. But I know it rains a lot in Oregon so the "rust between the toes" probably means she\'s had wet feet for a while and needs to dry those puppies out! :cool:

MARY BETH :o !!! I\'m shocked! I know I\'m the type of person you can confide in, but I\'m still a DH and will probably have to report this in the next "man" meeting.

Well..... Since it\'s you, I\'ll let it go, because my heart is with you on this. btw - If you\'ll come down and help with the show, I\'ll buy your gas. I\'ll even feed you lunch and supper! And, you\'ll get a view of big fireworks that you\'ve never seen before:cool:

Mr/Mrs Margie....1:00 am your time would have been 5 am our time...DH leaves for work at 5 am. Oh wait, we are the same time zone...it would have been 5 am by the time we got home.

Glad to hear everything went as expected and there were no injuries.

I agree DH needs to experience our Ozarks culture. He has met my 3rd cousins from Willow Springs. They are the nicest people on the planet, I love them and always look forward to seeing them. When they started talking, his mouth dropped to the floor. I don\'t think he has ever heard a thicker Ozark accent. His reaction was pretty funny. He really needs to visit my folks at Willow Springs. Besides, it is a much slower pace there, he needs that for a while.

Good morning everyone, All that talk of rain from down there, and here we sit dry as a bone. Haven't had any rain in weeks. Our hay crop is poor, and the grain farmers are really worried. July 1st in Canada tomorrow, and doubt we will be rained out. I actually wish we would be. I am positive the fireworks and picinics planned are in danger. If you guys could send some of that wet stuff this way, that would be wonderful. There is a silver lining, no rain means no grass to cut cut at the house, over 5 acres of the stuff, so I have more time to...........what else, quilt!!!!

Kerry,

Our garden is not growing either, but because of too much rain. DH went out Thursday evening and tilled everything but the tomato plants, pepper plants and squash under. Nothing was growing. We have a low yard compared to our neighbors, but not for long. After working so hard to put the garden in this year, DH has decided to have some dirt trucked in and put in raised beds. Then maybe we will have a good garden. Sorry you all are having a rough go of it. At least you have time to quilt - that is the good news!!

When I was in college (a few years ago...) there was a girl in a drama class with me who was born and raised in New York City. We had to give a "get to know you" speech the first day of class and she confessed that when she moved to the Ozarks, she was shocked to find the number of people who actually wore shoes!

Talk about disinformation.

I don't think she was terrible surprised at the hillbilly accents though...

Brad

My DH is from Iowa....he said when he was a kid they all thought that people in Missouri didn't have furnaces in their homes. He thought it was too warm here :o

He makes fun of me all the time for the way I talk...when I say "there" I get a little lazy and I tend to have a little bit of an accent. I'm sure there are other words. I don't realize I have a speech problem until MQS and the girls don't say much, but I have heard a few tiny comments and a little laughter...but I know they are not laughing at me....:)

As far as DH goes...I have my chance to make fun of his way of talking too...."How's come" :o Huh?! What is that?? And "yous guys" :o where in the world does that kind of talk come from??

Archived