Ultimate experience

Hi Stitches,

I bought a used Ultimate I machine a few months ago. It was made in 1989. The lady was selling it for a friend who had moved out of state. So no chance to ask questions of the owner. I'm a hobby quilter - not for business.

I didn't know anything about longarms but this was such a good deal ($2200) I could not pass it up. I had seen ads for Ultimate I for $6k - $8k.

It had some deep scratches on the wood top, the takeup roller is warped, the bobbin case was missing the spring, the hopping foot was original equipment, the tension spring was shot. I called APQs for the parts I needed and fixed most of this myself - time-consuming, for sure. But when I replaced the hopping foot, I did not tighten the needle mechanism enough and the needle (over time) edged down and damaged the hook mechanism. I found this out after 11 needles ended up with burrs and snagging my way thru a quilt. Some things you can fix and some just need an expert. The shop took care of replacing the hook assembly

and the machine runs greats now. The takeup roller is still warped but it does not impact my quilting.

I figure that I can spend another $2000 on this machine and still be ahead of the game.

My advice is be cautious, ask lots of questions, and find a local (if possible) longarm repair shop.

I love quilting. Quilting on my Bernina and quilting on my Ultimate I is like comparing apples to watermelons.

Good luck and happy quilting.

Stitches,

I bought my ULT II almost 7 years ago and it was used....it had gone back to the factory as a trade in and I got it after they had gone through it. I personally would buy another one if the opportunity every came about, they are work horses.

I've only had it into the factory for a tune up once in the hard hard life that I have put it through, they are easy to self maintain and they are like the Energizer Bunny they keep going and going until they wear out parts, which is what mine did....ungrateful beast, you would have thought that quilting over 500 quilts in 6 years that its parts wouldn't just wear out. New motor, new needle bar and new belts is all that it needed so it wasn't that expensive to fix and get back to work.

Good luck on your venture....what ever machine you decide on it will be a great machine, but these do work well and don't seem to have much down time.

Bonnie

Hi "Stitches",

When looking for a used machine, don't overlook the list of used machines we have at APQS. I have a list I can forward to you. Right now we have several Ultimate 1's (larger throat than the Ultimate II) and some Libertys (with stitch regulation).

The advantage of buying one of these machines is that they have been thorougly refurbished, come with a brand new "Millennium" table in 12' or 14' length and have a one year warranty.

You KNOW the machine is in great shape when you get it and won't have to spend a lot of time getting the machine in working order before you can start making some money with it.

Another important consideration is shipping. Unless you're picking the machine up yourself, crating & shipping can get very expensive. I had a call from someone that had bought a machine off of e-bay. Great! She saved a lot of money. BUT, she couldn't get it crated & shipped to her for less than $2400!!!

APQS has arrangements with a trucking company that saves YOU a lot of money. I just sold a used Ultimate 1 that is going from Iowa to Canada for $303.05.

There is a LOT more to consider than just the base price of the machine.

I can vouch for everything Darlene says she and Mary helped me buy my Ulimate II used and I love it it works perfectly and I was worried about not having the bells and whistles well its just fine with out it. my stitches are just fine, I don't loose sleep on spending more than I should and no pressure to earn back the money I spent!

Susan

I can also vouch for buying a used quilting maching. But mine is an Ultimate I. I love it. It doesn't have a sticht regulator, but I have learned so many things to do with it.

When you do find a certain kind of machine that you want to buy. Do a lot of research about the machine and also do some researching on why the person wants to sell it. What kind of maintance they have done ect. But once you do get one even if it is used they still hold good value.

I bought a used Ultimate II several years ago, and would recommend you buy whatever your budget steers you to if the machine feels good to you. After purchasing mine, I sent it to APQS for a tune-up, although it really didn't need anything, it made me feel better. Since then, if I had a question, they have been more than responsive over the phone and e-mail. I love it, and find that the only limitation is my imagination. I wish I could move up to a stitch regulated machine, and other bells and whistles, but there really isn't much I cannot do with practice, time and attention. Good Luck

Ditto on all the above. I purchased a used U II from APQS earlier in the year. I had used two different machine brands before and the UltimateII is by far the best. The tech support is beyond what could be imagined and like someone else said, it is a work horse. It may not have the bells and whistles of the others but it can do an outstanding job.

Teresa

Silver Threads Quilting

Thanks for the great responses Ladies!

I now have a Handi Quilter, Juki system with a stitch regulator. This is a fine setup, just limiting as to the work area. I would love to have a stitch regulator if I do upgrade. Can an intellistitch be added on to the Ultimate II?

Donna

I hade that set up on a graceframe with cruise control and thought for sure I would miss the regulator guess what I don't! I was at a workshop with someone who had it, I was not impressesd enough to spend $3000. to add a stitch regulator the thing, it was noisey, bounced and nine out of ten times we had it turned off! What I do miss is the needle up and down and with a little practice I'm getting pretty good at pulsing the button. But to answer your question yes it can be added.

Yes, the Intellistitch can be added to any machine. Is it a wise choice? I'm admittedly very biased, but there really is NO comparison between the APQS Stitch Regulator and the Intellistitch.

I would MUCH rather be without a stitch regulator, than have all the guts of my machine torn out, and be left with the shell of what I paid for. Then the Intellistitch takes over your machine, and like it or not, you're stuck with it. There is no going back to the sweet machine you had before. :( I've heard too many sad stories to recommend this course of action to anyone.

Keep in mind that if you add Intellistitch, APQS can no longer help you with anything technical. AND your warranty is left in a heap with the insides of your machine. There is nothing left to warranty except the body of the machine.

I bought a used machine on Ebay and had it shipped 500 miles to my house for under $150 via FedEx Freight. UPS gave me some ridiculous quote of almost $5000. The machine, legs and accessories arrived in fine condition however the table was pretty banged up. They must have used a fork lift to move it because bolts on the underside were completely bent at a 90* angle. After some effort on my husbands part the table is fine now but not very attractive. I doubt if I would have a table shipped again....I'd wait for a machine that was being sold close enough to me that I could go and pick it up myself.

Hi Donna,

I hope I don't offend anyone as I am thoroughly satisfied with APQS and my Ult. I, but I am equally pleased with my decision to add Intellistitch. I didn't want another machine as I liked the feel of my Ult. I. Money was also an issue. So, I decided to take a leap of faith, just as I had in purchasing my Ult. I sight unseen, and called Zoltan Kasa and had Intellistitch installed.

I love both my machine and the Intellistitch. My stitches are perfect, (even on corners and turns), the machine moves smoothly, and I have so many options. I'm sure the Millenium is a fantastic machine and I would probably be happy with it as well. It just wasn't what I felt I needed and could afford at the time.

I plan to keep my Ult. I with Intellistitch for as long as I quilt. Zoltan stands behind his work just like the APQS people do. He has personally been to my home on 3 occasions to install the upgrades and show me his improvements. I'm fortunate that he likes to vacation on the Outer Banks!

Again, this is just my personal experience and I realize some other people may have different opinons. Some people do not like the APQS machines. I am delighted we have so many options and can do what is best for ourselves.

Kay

Archived