need a question answered please.......

skrat

I'm working on baptist fans with my HF and every once in a while my bobbin thread is riding on the back of the fabric. Most of the time, the stitches are perfect, it is just about once or twice every two or three fans. Any suggestions as to what it might be causing this problem and how to fix it? Thank you.

I would pull out my bobbin case, pull out the bobbin and check all areas for lint or fuzz build up. Even the little arm on the case - you can use a piece of dental floss to make sure there is no lint under it. Also blow out the bobbin area. I don't know if that is the problem, but sure worth a try.

Is it always in the same spot? I had that problem only in the part of the arc that I was moving the machine back and to the left. I tightened my top tension just a bit. I think the needle flex from going "backwards" in both directions made my tension just a tiny bit off... just enough to make the stitches icky.

Hope it helps

Thank you for your input, yes, I have cleaned out the bobbin and case, changed needles and tightened top tension and checked bobbin tension and still the same. I remember reading somewhere on this forum about slightly turning your needle to the left to alleviate this problem and now I can't find it. I'm bummed that I keep having to remove these stitches and restitching. If anyone can remember where that post is please reply. Thank you.

Julie,

Yes, that makes sense and that was what I was looking for. I'll try that and see if it helps. Right now I have the top tension tightened up but it is almost too tight going one way and just about right going the other. Thank you ever so much for posting this. Off to the machine.

Hi Myrna

I don't think it matters right or left, I think the idea is that when you turn it the profile is a teeny bit wider and so closes the gap between the needle hook.

I could be wrong though. If thats the case then I think putting in a larger needle would also help.

Best wishes

sue in australia

Gee, maybe I don't know my right hand from my left.:P:P I'm probably all mixed up. Actually, I may be overconfident right now. Earlier today my needle positioner was getting excited and going up down up down when I just wanted it to go up. I got out my manual and read the directions for fixing it and I did it without my DH. Then when I told him what I did he said, "You got out the manual??? You're definitely not a man." Well, duh!:D:D

Hi Everyone,

When you are having trouble with the Hartley Fence in a certain direction, it is usually the needle flex that's the culprit.

Increase the size of the needle and it will help immensely. When I'm standing on the back of the machine, my tension changes when using the Fence at the "midnight to 3 p.m." area of the circle (remember, that's looking from the rear of the machine.) That particular movement pulls the needle away from the hook and also causes it to get to the hook timing spot a bit late, resulting in the bobbin thread pulling the top thread to the back.

As for the direction to slightly "turn" the needle, here are the mechanics of it (picture this as you are standing at the front or freehand side of the machine):

The hook comes around the bobbin case from the right side of the needle.

If the needle's eye is turned to the right, then the right side of the needle hits the hook; the hook deflects the needle but may not properly catch the top thread, since the needle's scarf is turned away from the hook point.

On the other hand, if you turn the needle slightly to the left, the hook has a chance to capture the top thread, since the scarf is "opened" slightly to expose the top thread to the hook point.

But the bottom line is, left or right, if it's working for you, that's all that matters:)!

Thank you ever so much Dawn. I turned the needle to the left and the stitches got better going from right to left, but then when I would go back left to right (standing from the rear of the machine) the stitches got worse, so I split the difference between the needle facing directly forward and to the left and the stitches are great. I am having to slow down when I come from right to left between the "midnight and 3 A.M." so the stitches don't pull, but other than that it's all great.

Thank you ALL for your input in this matter. That's why I come here because you all are so helpful when a person is in need. Hopefully someday I can be one of you that can give solutions to problems on here.

Shannon,

I'm glad it's working for you! You're so right about the speed of your movement affecting the stitch quality as well...you figured out that quicker movements will also flex the needle.

If a quilter has a stitch regulator, it's very easy to move a bit too quickly since the machine compensates for the faster speed. Unfortunately, it can't compensate for the needle flex. So, for "speed demons" like me, the only solution besides slowing down (hard to do) is to switch to the larger needle :).

Happy Quilting!

Archived