How do you block a quilt?

Guest Linda S

Linda - I use the foam insulation boards on the living room floor. That means I have to move furniture out of the way because I live in a small house, but I do it. I put the foam boards down, side by side (they stay just fine), put a sheet over them, lay the quilt down, and then commence to squaring up. I often don't have someone to help me, so I need to be able to see the squaring lines for myself. I bought one of those Stanley laser level/squares at the hardware store. You put it at the corner of your quilt and press a button, and it shines two beams, creating a 90 degree angle. I simply push/pull the quilt so that it lines up exactly along the beam, then move to the other corner and do the same thing. When it is all squared up, if it has dried out, I'll dampen it again, then cover with another sheet (I have cats) and set a fan blowing over the surface. Within a day, it's dry, flat and very, very square.

Linda

So, back to blocking for a minute if you don't mind...I wanted to add my 2 cents:

I never blocked quilts until I began entering shows but after a few judges comments, I figured I'd better learn. Karen's advice is good and the info is also on a Ricky Tims DVD. I have blocked quilts before and after binding...before works better. Like someone earlier said, I just leave an extra 2" all around and I've never had a problem with fraying or falling apart at the edges. I have all tile floors in my house so I bought a carpet remnant at a local store. It stays rolled up under my machine until I need to block a quilt, then I unfurl it in the living room and cover it with a sheet. I then surround it with chairs so that the 4 dogs won't walk over it...they do so like to help out.

I have run washable quilts thought the rinse cycle of my washer but have also used a spray bottle to moisten quilts I didn't want to put in the washing machine. I use a carpenter's T ruler and also some of my big Olfa rulers to help get the corners square. I use T pins which can be found in bulk at an upholstery supply store at a much better price than JoAnns or Michaels where they sell packs of 10 or 20. You're going to need a LOT of pins...they should be placed about every inch around the quilt edges. A friend would be nice but I've done them all myself. (Tylenol and/or chiropractor after). A ceiling fan above and the quilts are dry by morning. I haven't found the need for starch...just the wetting and drying process leaves the quilts a little stiffer than usual. When they're dry, I chalk a straight line around the edge, trim the backing and batting to about an inch beyond the line, then apply the binding and do a final trim leaving enough batting to 'fill' the binding. It has made a difference in judges' comments so I'll keep doing it (for show quilts only).

Archived