How do you block a quilt?

I have heard of quilters who throw a sheet down on their deck and block their quilts that way. I think that is how Jodi Robinson blocks her quilts.

I have also heard a quilting teacher say that she throws a plastic tarp on her driveway then lays the quilt on top of the tarp and a sheet over the quilt to protect it from birds. I don't know about that. I always thought that blocking required the quilt to be anchored to measured lines so it would be squared when it dried.

I think I heard JudyL talk about pinning to carpet to block a quilt. That sounds like it would work if you had a piece of carpet that does not get foot traffic; like a guest room.

Anybody out there block their quilts? And if so, how do you do it?

Linda,

Do you have Karen McTavish's, "Quilting For Show" book...I do...it's autographed by my friend Karen ;) Any who...on page 38 and 39 she shows how to block a quilt using that insulated foam board. I think that is a pretty good idea. Like you said with the carpet thing, you would need room without traffic. Why do I have this book, you may ask....I have no idea. It was MQS, year before last...there was Karen...with these books...I admired it and before I knew it - Wham!! I owned it!!:D

and I get caught up in the moment...and it's not like I am going to enter a quilt in a show...well, maybe a normal show, or maybe a normal quilt...but never, ever, ever a Karen McTavish level quilt. Karen, where ever you are....don't worry...you will remain on top where I am concerned ;)

Heidi - that is horizontal, right, not upright? And how far apart do you pin and what kind of pins do you use?

I would like to understand the process. Do you measure the quilt? Then do you lay it on the foamboard/sheet and pin it down according to that measurement and tug or ease to make the quilt squared?

Linda,

You do it horizontally on the floor or a table if it is small enough. My dining room table works well for 1 piece of foam 4 ft x 8 ft! I use t-pins or corsage pins. You first measure the quilt and find the average size for each side, write it down! Then you wash your quilt and while it is wet it really shrinks up a lot! I usually get a helper for this but I have done it on my own too. I will pin one side down in the middle and then go over to the opposite side and gently pull to the right size and put a pin in. Put your pin in at an angle with the pointed end going in toward the middle of your quilt. I find that using a carpenters tape measure is very helpful especially when you partner is your DH! You can lock it down on the right size and you don't have to worry about them not holding it in the right spot. I usually use the one side of the board as my straight guide and have hubby hold the tape measure against that edge. Then you do the opposite sides using the same method. I also use my ruler to make sure my blocks or mitered corners are square as I go. I pin on either side of the first pin, then go to the opposite end and pull gently to stretch to the right size. You keep doing this until it is pinned out and if it is going in a show I pin every 1/2" or so. The hard part is leaving it alone until it is completely dry! I usually put a fan on in the room to help it along. Do it at night and then it will be dry by the time you get up in the morning! Once it is blocked then I put on the binding.

Karen's DVD is excellent and shows every step in really good detail!

Originally posted by hmerrill

Then you wash your quilt and while it is wet it really shrinks up a lot! Once it is blocked then I put on the binding.

Heidi...have a few silly questions...I've never had the need to block a quilt so have never washed a quilt before putting on the binding. Justed washed after binding and if I had a square quilt when done, felt I did good....and if I was over a inch off...o well....but a show quilt is totally different and I have to wonder.

What happens to the edges of the quilt?...the backing and batting that would go into the binding....

does it get all raggy or does it stay flat but softer?....

does it just wash away?

How much extra do you leave on?...I normally trim a quilt so that I have just 1/4 of the backing and batting to fill the binding.

I feel the need to try to get a quilt into MQX, and I'm sure I will need this help before then. I have Karen's books, but didn't understand this part when she explained it either.

Thanks Ladies...I knew about the squaring up process, but I didn't realize that you were blocking before the binding was put on....

Yeah, it makes sense that youwould want your quilt blocked before you apply the binding. So do you serge or stitch the edges so it doesn't unravel in the washing machine? I'm thinking that it would have to be a machine so most of the water would spin out.

OK, this is a lot of questions. So who is going to put the curriculum together to teach this at MQS next year?? :D

Okay, I got out my DVD and started watching it. I will be babysitting in about an hour and will try to finish watching it. From what I see...you measure the quilt before quilting. Karen's before quilting(?) or before washing(?) was 73" by something, and after washing was 71" by whatever...she had to stretch it to get it back to the original 73". The edges were raw, but not raveling. After it was dry, she trimmed the edges, before putting on the binding :o I need to take lessons.

OK Bonnie,

This is how I do it:

I cut down the extra batting and backing to about 2" extra and I run a stay stitch all around inside that area before I cut it. That way I don't have to worry about any threads coming out. Washing doesn't seem to cause me any problems. I have a front loader and use a medium spin. The advantage to doing this is that your binding will be perfect. I have done it the other way too and you know you can't ever stretch it right into perfect square without the binding causing you problems. It will stretch out but once it is hung you'll see the waving!

Linda - yes depending on your quilting density you can certainly cause some problems that you didn't intend or want! The blocking is an extra step but when it is going to be a wall hanging or go in a show it is well worth the trouble!

Heidi,

Thanks so much for the terrific explanation, all the details, etc.

Two more questions:

1) Do you use a little tiny bit of spray starch after the quilt is wetted and is pinned down and starting the drying process? Wouldn't this help (to slightly stiffen) the quilt a little bit so it conforms to the square shape and lays straight and flat?

2) I heard that some people couch a thick thread (similar thickness of a string) around the outer edge of the quilt before adding the binding. This little bit of string adds a small "bump" to the edge so the binding has a nice rounded fullness/finished look. Have you heard of this technique before?

So many tricks and tips... not sure what works and who does what to make those bindings BEAUTIFUL and corners nice and tight and borders flat and straight!

Shana,

You could add some starch but beware of silver fish. We don't have that problem in the Northeast but in some parts of the country I understand that the starch attracts them. Yes you could put the starch in to stiffen it a bit and I'm sure it would work fine. I would probably stick to sizing though just in case. I would also add it right to the final rinse or just spray it as it came out of the washer.

I have heard of the string for the binding but have not tried that. I'm working right now with pipped bindings. I think it really adds such a pretty addition to a plain binding. I prefer to do my bindings like Sharon Schamber. I also only use a 2" binding instead of the common 2 1/2" binding. It just makes a small 1/4" binding and I like the look of it. Another tip that works really well is to cut the binding down after to do the first stitching of the binding down. That way you can make sure the binding is nice and full.

Thanks, Heidi.

Re: Silverfish. OK, I just googled and read a couple of links. We don't have silverfish were I live but it seems as though these insects tend to live in damp, dark basements where humidity is high, not in a large dry conference rooms where the quilt shows are held? So, chances are your quilt will be safe if it's at a quilt show? And, if you do have problems with silverfish in your house you could always wash the starch out later after that quilt finishes the show circuit?

Here's a link I read on silverfish. I think perhaps this silverfish concern is being blown out of proportion a bit? But, I could be wrong. I live in a very dry climate with low humidity, so I am ignorant to this reality on a daily basis.

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7475.html

Shana,

OK I'll agree with you as that is what was in the back of my mind :P:P:P:P:P! I have lived in NC & VA both which are very humid and I have used starch since it ever became popular, probably started using it in 1988! I have never ever had silverfish but I guess I've aired on the side of caution just in case somebody blaimed me later that nobody ever told them!

Well, the Silverfish, really were confused then...we had them really bad in Reno, and trust me its not humid there. Daily Humidity MIGHT get to be about 10% and that is on a wet and cold winter day.... And yes they would live in the closet and we had to spray for them every so often.:(

Thanks Heidi...this I think has answered the wonderments that I had....:P

Originally posted by hmerrill

Bonnie - now that is interesting...ok I'll continue to air on the side of caution just in case! By the way you are so close you could drive up and we'll have a blocking party...you'll have to spend the night though so your quilt can dry!

Oh darn....a night away from the kid and DH....wonder if they can feed themselves.

;):P

Archived