What to charge for batting

What do you all charge for you batting that you get wholesale? Do you double the price? I am going to be doing a quilt soon that I am supplying the Quilters Dream batting for and I have no idea what to charge. There are no LQS around here, so I am stepping on no one's toes. Thanks for the info!

I sell only Quilters' Dream, because they have no minimum wholesale purchase. I sell mine by the yard, with a 1/4 yd. minimum.

There is no LQS here that carries Quilters' Dream, but we do have one that sells Hobbs poly for about $7 a yard. I stock only the 96-in ($12/yd.) and 48-in wide ($6/yd.) QD Request cotton, and the 96-in Dream Puff poly ($8/yd.). This is a little less than double my cost, and I think comparable to what stores would sell it, if they did. I will also special-order anything from Quilters' Dream (like king-size, or black) for the same thing, about a 90% mark-up. If a customer really wanted another brand, I would probably buy it retail & just charge my cost, but that has never happened so far.

I just ordered QD King size roll and the shipping price went up so my selling price had to go up to my customers. I sell my batting at $0.34 an inch when it was $0.24 and inch.....or they can bring their own. I also carry QD in Black and Warm & White.

Renae

I give my customers a break on batting. I charge about 1/3 over wholesale as I figure that pays for time in cutting etc. and a bit for convience. I also do a discount for charity quilts in batting----not quilting. I would rather encourage my customers to purchase batting on a roll that I don't have to fight with rather than have to deal with questionable batting or the ones that are packaged. It's a convience for me almost more than the quilt owner. jeri

I tried to post his once, but for some reason it hasn't come through so hopefully only one will come through.

I do the same as you on batting, Jeri. About 1/3 more than wholesale. I know that we shouldn't compete with our LQS, but I have had too many bad battings from customers and find that if I offer a good price they will buy from me rather than getting the junk stuff. Also, our LQS only have one type of batting and often do not have it in all the sizes, so the customer then ends up going somewhere and getting junk or in one case, they wanted to know if I could piece together 3 twin size to make a king size! I carry several types of Quilter's Dream batting so they have a choice.

I don't want to undercut the LQS even though I don't have any now nearby. There are others scattered all over the city and I do get some business sometimes from south of the river. I charge $9.00/yrd for the Hobbs, and I just recieved my QD on Friday afternoon and have not had time to go over the fees for that one. I have not had any for a while, and like Renae said their shipping has changed.

As far as customers paying the price for the batting, they never blink an eye. I have had two customers bring bad batting. One only came once and I showed her what her batting did with the corner of her excess batting I stuck my finger right though. Then I had a sample of QD and showed her how it doesn't pull or stretch and you can't poke your finger through. I explained that she put way too much, time, effort and money into that quilt top to put nasty (didn't use that word) batting into the quilt. She agreed, and told me that she really appreciated the education. The second customer was my former boss. She brought me a quilt her mother had made, with really cheap batting that she thought "looks like the kind you use", it was not! So I did the same demo for her. Last week she brought me her son's wedding qult and asked that I use my batting. Education is the key to getting them to use the right batting.

Archived