feel of the machine

How do you know what your machine is suppose to feel like? I haven't even turned on my new millie yet, but just pushing it around (pretending) it feels a little bit stiff . I know you can tighten and loosen the wheels, but I guess I thought it would be as easy as pushing a pencil and it's not. Go figure! Not sure exactly what it is suppose to feel like. After work tonight I hope to put on the motor for the fabric advance. Seems like this is all taking me forever. I am soooo impatient! I guess you just figure you will load your quilt on and start right away and of course I know that is ridiculous (especially with my learning curve). I really love seeing the photos of what everyone is working on. It really inspires me. Well back to work before I get fired!

Vicki,

It shouldn't be stiff. If I give mine a push it will glide easily 2 ft. If it isn't doing that you should make sure first your trusses aren't too high (that is if you have a 14ft table). If you are sure those aren't slowing it down then you can loosen the wheels. I would check to see which direction it is tight and start there. It is hard to push front to back or side to side? There are tons of posts on adjusting your wheels. It all does take time but you'll be rolling along quickly! Have fun.

If it is a little stiff, read the manual and do a subject search here for adjusting the wheels.

If you push the handles, the machine should glide quite a way--mine will go a couple of feet with a one-handed push.

Once you start stitching you can re-adjust to match your quilting style. Too loose and there may be a problem with control and precision. Too tight and you will tire and hurt--besides getting those dreaded square circles.

Soon with practice your brain/muscle/eye coordination will mesh and almost effortlessly you will "hit the mark". Really!!

Happy stitching and forge ahead--it is as wonderful as you have imagined!

is it really stiff or do you just need to train your muscles? I remember my forearms being sore because I was using muscles in a new way. Does it flow freely up and down and sideways and then you feel the "stiffness" when you go to make a turn or curve?

I suspect the 3 "Ps" will help? This isn't an automatic process, it is months of time invested in learning how to work the machine and training your brain. I'm still using the stitch regulator for everything. There's something about turning the machine on and it starts at 90mph that makes my heart palpitate!

How you feel about the stiffness of your Millie right now is normal. There's a weight to these machines that can make it feel stiff when it's not running. I expect you wheels may need some adjustments but that's not the whole story....

I was just thinking of this as I did a panto last night. When I first began quilting I thought my machine was stiff. It was like the machine had a wrestling match with me. However, as soon as I decided I was going to be the boss things got easier. Now if feels like it's just gliding and I really don't think it's any different (okay - so I now know how to adjust wheels - so it's a little different). But it's more the way I know how to move and work with my Libby.

A good friend recently bought a different brand because she thought my APQS was too 'stiff'. Well, she's now been quilting for a couple months and it's funny - she thinks unregulated is the way to go (don't we all when we first start since it's smoother) I told her the panto story above and let her know in time it will feel smooth as she gains control and not to give up on the SR mode. It's just a matter of learning your machine and working with it.

Have fun and get a bit flamboyant with your quilting - that stiffness will disappear.....:D

Maybe its because I have touched my machine to much that I don't see the stiffness in it whether its on or off, but if there isn't anything on the machine and I give it even a tiny nug it flies to the other end of the bed....and with a quilt on it depending if the back roller is dragging, the quilt will go across the quilt and stop at the clamps.....

I would reread your manual and double check that all the bolts are tight or in the correct tightness, and that your quilt table is totally balanced....then see. If not call Amy and see what she feels needs to be done...

I can move my machine easily with one finger. It shouldn't be stiff. Some quilter's like a little stiffness because for them it gives them more control. On the other hand it shouldn't be really wobbly either cause that can thow you off some. Trust me you will know when you have it right. Don't be afraid to adjust your wheels, just go a little at a time, check the feel, a little more and then when you feel its wobbly, tighten back just a little and see how that feels. Definately check your trusses and even after you have had the machine for a while it may settle, mine did and I had to adjust my trusses slightly but what a difference it made.

Good luck.

Vicki, like others have mentioned, double check to make sure your table is totally level all around. If it helps to know, I spent about 1 hour or so crawling like a toddler around my table with the 3' level (following the bubble) and finally got all four legs nice and level and made a world of difference. The manual explains all this, plus how to adjust trusses and your wheel cams. In the end, a gentle shove should send your machine smoothly down the distance of the table.

Oh one more thing that Linda Rech mentioned a while back. Turn off all music (including longarm), sounds and close your eyes and move the machine slowly, slowly slowly down the length of the table. Also move the carriage in slow circles both directions. With eyes closed, your senses are heightened and you can "feel" where there may be slight bumps or things that might need to be adjusted on the table or on the carriage.

Hi Vicki,

I don't do much posting, I tend to lurk a lot. I never seem to have anything new to contribute since I'm kinda a newbie too. Somewhere along the learning curve process I read a post, don't know where . . . hard to tell, but it helped me SO MUCH, like the difference between night and day. When guiding your machine, if it feels hard to move and stiff and you've done all of the adjusting you can possibly think of . . . and it can take a lot over an extended period. Relax and Breathe. Simple, huh? Really simple, but often so very hard to accomplish, especially the relax part. I'd say to myself, how do I relax and have enough muscle control to guide this monster of a machine? Breathe! I found when I was tense it was like I was working against myself if that makes any sense. Along with the 3 P's, Practice, Practice, Practice, there needs to be a B included. Breathe! I found myself concentrating so hard to stay on a Panto line or a chalk line or be "free" in the moment that I was forgetting to BREATHE. When you are breathing and keeping loose but controlled muscles . . . pretty soon, it just happens, like magic! Have fun learning! We can make anything we do work or fun, our choice. Do some Shoulder Rolls, Smile and Pat yourself on the back for having the chance to struggle with that incredible machine and Breathe!

Archived