GETTING BACK INTO THE GAME

Well, it's been a challenging year so far for me and my body.

The last quilt I quilted was in January.....I had shoulder pain the kept me from doing any quilting. I then found out I had ripped my right rotator cuff in half and it had already retracted a bit. So I had surgery.

This had to be the most painful thing I have ever experienced.

I've had lots of physical therapy and am now ready to get back into the game.

I feel like a newbie right at the moment for some reason. I've been drawing so as to retrain myself.....

Anyway, wish me luck!!!

Tish

Tish...I wish you the best! Just remember to take it slow at first. One of my best friends has gone through two surgeries on her rotator cuff and after a year still has to take it slow. Don't push yourself!!!! Good luck and happy quilting!!!

Janette

Ah yes, rotator cuff surgery and the resulting physical torture, er I mean therapy! I remember it all too well! September will be two years since I fell down the basement stairs, resulting in a broken ankel and torn rotator cuff. Only, my ankle hurt so bad I didn't realize my shoulder was a problem until after my ankle healed. I ended up having the surgery the following March, and can now say I have about 95% mobility back. If I had not waited so long I would have had a better outcome...

My goal was to be able to wear a sleeveless dress at my daughter's wedding last June, and I made it. Barely... but I was out of the sling!

My advice is to take it easy! Everything will still be there later. (even the housework!!)Trying to come back like gangbusters will only make your full recovery take longer...ask me how I know?

Listen to your body. It will let you know when you are over doing, and will let you know when you are ready to progress to the next stage... Good Luck and I will be sending you warm wishes.

Nini

Tish

Good luck with your recovery.

It has been over 12 months since I used a longarm but not through injury. My husband and I decided to make a move from one end of the country to the other and I spent much of 2007 getting our old home ready to sell, and in November we moved but my Gammill did not come with us. I had to stop quilting way before then because I did not have time and had to get things packed up. We were in a rented home for a short while before moving into our new house at the end of February and my Millennium was delivered end July and commissioned on 3rd August.

I was convinced I'd no longer know how to use a longarm machine but that just has not been the case! Like you I have been drawing for weeks (twirly feathers Kimmy, just like you taught Joan and I back at MQS, but without the Strawberry Daquiri):)

Sure I feel out of practice but I was surprised when I did the little quilt for Ollie's bed just how quickly things started to fall into place. Obviously you've got to be careful not to push your body too fast but don't worry about the quilting, think sportswear advert and <i>Just do It!</i>

Good luck

Archived