Let's try something else

What I was hoping here with this new section was to get everyone to think about how they would quilt different tops, throw out ideas about why one person would prefer one idea, while someone else would prefer something else -- quilting design, thread, etc.

So, here's a picture of the next top I'll do. I already know what I'm doing so you're not trying to help me decide what to do. But, in order to help newbies and wannabees who feel insecure about coming up with ideas -- this is to show me, you and them that we can all come up with ideas . . many different ideas . . and they all work.

So, look at this quilt and pretend I brought this quilt to you and said "how would you quilt this?" Tell us how you would quilt it . . what threads you would use, what quilting you'd put where and if you want to say what you would charge per square inch/foot, feel free to do so or not.

Here's the quilt:

http://community.webshots.com/album/144259534huQugx

Well Judy

I really am a newie - I only got my "Millie" 2 weeks ago so I have been making "Dog blankets" as a way to keep practicing - My puppies will be the warmest around

As I am so new I don't know all the stitches that are around but I would stipple in the cream area to allow the Green star to stand out. Also SID around the Green. And maybe do some sort of circle of feathers in the centre of the green stars

I will be really interested to hear others suggestions

Too keep it fast I would do some sort of line dancing, like continuous curve, terry twist, or some modified version of one of those. For the borders I would put something simple that matched whatever I did in the center but nothing directional so that I wouldn't have to take it off and remount it. If the customer wanted it to be more elaborate I would SID around the stars and put some motif in the cream areas but only if she asked for it.

I think what I would do is SID around the stars and put a freehand feather motif in the white background with matching thread. Then in the green, I would put a ribbon thing that swirled into each star point with green thread, with less quilting in the green than in the white. For the border, I would SID them both, then put a feather border in the wider one. That is what I would do, but I don't know how good it would turn out ;)! Let us know what you have planned for it!

This is exactly what I was hoping you all would do here. For those of you who have been doing this a while . . do you remember the fear and anxiety over trying to decide what to put where?? And then those clients would day "do what you want . . doesn't matter to me." Ughh! Now I love those kind of clients.

If three more people post their ideas, then I will tell you what I'm going to do but I don't want to tell you til a few others post.

But I will say this much now -- no . . I'll wait! :P

I think I would like to see a spiral circle in the green with matching thread. Maybe 1/2 inch cross hatching in the cream with matching thread. Terry twist in red squares with matching thread. SID both sides of red border with diagonal lines and feathers in wide border all w/matching thread and since this is very custom I would charge $25. sq. yd.

Can you tell--I'm brand new at this?!!;)

Thank you for giving us a chance to look at a quilt and thinking of a potential design. The quilt looks very busy to me and I would probably do something edge to edge. Looking at your quilts, I liked the feather meander you did on one of them. Could see this quilt done in a similar manner.

You can probably tell I am brand-new at this. Just order a machine a couple of weeks and it will probably been a couple of months before I can try doing any of this. But it is certainly fun thinking about it.

Judy,

I am very new to this but here are my ideas for a beginner: a medium size stipple in the white blocks, a round or curved type of pattern in the green star, and in the border I would use whatever Panto I had that fit!! Just kidding (sort of), I would probably look for something geometrical/square shape for the border.

Nancy

Judy,

I am also very newbie..Machine comes today so excited, but here goes! I would do a meandering stitch that incorprated stars in the cream color and I would outline the green star, and probably go around it a couple times so it would stand out, I am undecided if I would stitch inside the green star, probably. Maybe a outline the square in the Green star and put another star inside of it. For the borders would love to try some ivy type leafs. I am not sure about edge to edge. Oh this is fun, my mind is racing!!

Here's the quilting description part of the e-mail to the client as to what I'm going to do on the quilt. Read after the description and I have a few comments to you . . not to the client.

I would stitch in the ditch around the

designs using monofilament thread, do some type of fill stitch in the background using a matching ecru thread, maybe some type of swirl but not a plain, old meander. I would do some kind of design within the large star using green thread in the top and bobbin. In the borders, I could do a holly type design in the outer green border if this is a Christmas quilt.

If not, I could do a meandering leaf, again using green thread. In the red border, maybe do red loops using red thread.

Because I'm doing SID and plan to do a form of McTavishing in the ecru background stars, I'm charging .035/square inch.

So, your comments were right in line with what I was planning to do.

Diane, you mentioned variegated thread. I love variegated thread but have a hard time using it. I see many quilts with variegated thread and they are gorgeous but I don't use it much. I should probably try to use it more than I do.

Nancy, when I send an e-mail to a client, I always send a plan for doing overall meander (on this quilt, it was to use an ecru thread and do a plain old meander through the whole quilt . . no regard for borders or anything). The charge for that would have been .012/sq. inch. Then, I include a panto price and those run from .015 to .022. Then I include the custom plan and that is what she chose.

Ann, the background in this quilt could be done in a feather meander and that thought crossed my mind. But I figured if I did the feather meander in the ecru area, I'd need to do something "feathery" in the border to keep the "theme" going and I felt more like this quilt needed leaves or something leafy in the border.

Lottie, you're gonna starve! :P I'm not so good with math but I think $25/yard is about .019/square inch. Probably in the $5 - $6/hour rate. But, I don't like doing diagonal lines. I'll try to remember to let you all know how much time this quilt takes me.

Mindy, I just love line dancing type designs but I like everything Diana Phillips does! These blocks are 12" so they're pretty big. The centers of the stars are 4" so something has to be done in there. What I'm thinking is a free motion four leave clover type thing with spirals going out to the star points.

Fern, you pretty much had the same ideas I had.

Thanks to everyone for responding.

Guest Linda S

This is a great idea. I like hearing the ideas of others and what you finally came up with Judy. I suppose what I would do is wait until I get my machine and find out what I'm comfortable doing first! :P Right now I have very grandiose dreams about the kind of stuff I would love to be doing, but trying to get them out of my head and even onto a piece of paper is hard! I'm gonna go get an inexpensive white board tomorrow and start practicing drawing feathers, swirls, puzzle pieces, etc Hopefully, when the machine arrives, I'll have my brain trained!

Linda

Linda, as I am a very beginner I am soaking up as much as I can. Someone just told me about watching how often a varigated thread patten repeats itself. Hadn't even thought of that. Lets just say you have a blue background and you use thread that have a variety of color including the blue, if the patten is lets 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 ( and it can be this much I measured), your blue thread disappears on the back and it looks funny, like you missed stiching, but if the thread has a repeat of about 1 inch it looks better, so from now on I will be looking for the repeat inches. ( Oh by the way can't wait to give up my day job so I can quilt, quilt, quilt)...:D:D:D

Speaking of varigated thread ....here's what I like to do with the really long color repeats. I do what I call *Fussy Quilting* Say you have a red, blue, yellow thread and the color repeats are 8-12", we'll say I am doing a freehand feathered rose background as an example. Every time I come to the red, I'll make the rose!

Ain't that cool! I do have photos of this somewhere, holler if you want me to track them down. It is alot of fun to get to know your thread and make it work for you!

• 5 months later...

Archived