Tension questions - needle flexing?

dgroby

Folks,

I am a new HQ16 owner, and am having my first tension issue :) I recently read this comment here on tension problems - 'When pulling the thread toward the back of the machine, your needle should flex just a bit when you get a good tension.' This is the first time I've heard about this...and is the issue I was concerned with! I need some education and help in this area...please! :)

My needle is also flexing. I am thinking my top thread is way too tight, yet I'm getting pokies on the back. Otherwise the machine is running very well with no other problems. When I move my machine aside to pull up the bobbin thread, the top is harder to pull than I thought it should be. It is much harder than the bobbin thread to pull. I am afraid to tighten my top tension any more, as the needle really flexes now and is very firm to pull the thread from it when not sewing. Do you think I should loosen the bobbin a bit? And then loosen the top also? If I do loosen the top without any other adjustment, I get thread nests.

Is it normal for a needle to flex like this? It feels like the top tension is just way too tight, and with the needle flexing, I was afraid I would damage the machine somehow. Should you be able to pull the thread easily and smoothly out of the needle? I have to pull it firmly and slowly - but the needle flexes a bit. It is not causing any thread breaks though. Does a mid/longarm normally run with the top tension much, much tighter than on a DSM? This is suprising to me. I expected the threads to be much looser on a mid/longarm than I am understanding it to be. Would you please clear this issue up for me?

Any information or suggestions on the needle flexing and tension problem would be so appreciated. I am learning something new everyday...and now I can add this to the list! :)

Debbie in Austin

Yes, no and yes. :)

You will get needle flexion. I don't think the needle thread is too tight. Although it is hard to tell without actually seeing it. ;) If you are getting pokies on the back as it, go ahead and loosen the bobbin just a bit. Have you done the drop test on your bobbin? The bobbin case should crawl down the thread. I like to run a loose bobbin with my top thread just a bit tighter so you see the bobbin thread just poking it's head up into the hole created by the needle. This keeps the pokies from happening on the back side.

Good luck and have fun!

Hi Debbie,

Your top tension and bobbin tension should match. When the two threads are pulled, they should have about the same resistance.

The needle flex refered to here is specific to an APQS machine--and the Towa gauge numbers also refer to use on an APQS.

I think your top tension is too tight--as you also suspect. Loosen the tension and test-stitch on a sandwich until you get a perfect stitch. Then, somehow note where you are--either mark on the tension knob or on the machine head--I don't know much about the HQ16s but they are a nice machine and very popular.

Give them a call where you purchased it and maybe they can steer you to a tech or dealer/rep who can help you more.

How is Ausin? I have two brothers there and they would never live anywhere else!

Well...I can tell I'm a newbie writing to this forum! I lost my other reply as I was typing it. Don't know what happened to it or where it went, so if you see it..just ignore it! Geez...not my day :(

Anyway - I was saying I thought this type of question would be a generic question across brands. I knew the TOWA numbers would be specific to the APQS brand, but tension issues happen to us all :( So, I was hoping it would still be something you could help me with...and you did! Thanks!

I did do the drop test. On the HQ's they tell you to wrap the thread around your finger and wriggle, then watch how fast it drops. That's how we adjust it. But, even though I did this, I think it didn't drop fast enough and I need to loosen it. I like to hear that you run the bobbin a little looser. That's a good tip - along with letting the bobbin thread just poke through the holes. It's good information for me and gives me another thing to try. You just never know which one is the right one for your machine (regardless of brand). HQ's are typically pretty user freindly and don't have too many issues. I LOVE mine! I only quilt for myself, and have limited space, so it fits perfectly :) I really am having so much fun...I never want to cook or clean now! I've ran a ton of different threads through without problems, just minor adjustments, and was suprised to see an issue crop up now. (You should see my new thread addiction!)

I guess I needed a little confirmation that the tension on the top may not be too tight, and some suggestions, which you both gave me. I'll try them all! I was confused with the top feeling so tight and yet the pokies showing up. I didn't see how I could have both at the same time! That's what threw me off...and I didn't know which kind of adjustment to make to fix it. So, you've now pointed me in a new direction, which is what I needed :) I'll go and begin testing!

I knew the TOWA numbers were specific to the brands being discussed, but the needle flex should be more generic shouldn't it? I would think that probably happens on all machines, doesn't it? But - I'm new so I can easily be wrong!

Yes, I have a help line and a rep. My rep is very sweet, I just haven't had any issues so far! And the helpline is there of course. It's just you guys are so knowledgable and helpful that I tend to look here first, as I learn so much. And frankly, calling help lines has never been my thing. (Can you tell I am a retired I/T professional for a major computer mfr.? A little too much exposure to help lines!) Usually I read forums like this, and various pro yahoo groups for tips to help me, including HQ's. All of them are helpful...this just happens to be one of my favorites even though I just usually lurk!

Austin is HOT!!! and wonderful :) Yesterday, it was 104. Record breaking temps this summer and no rain. At least until just now, we have a few sprinkles outside for the first time in 6 weeks or so. Even the water in the pool is too warm to swim now! We usually aren't this hot, especially for this many days. I love Austin. I moved here as a teen, and never left. My DH and I have a great time here. Living in a college, artsy - craftsy town keeps you young and there's always something fun going on. Let me know when you come for a visit! I'll take you around to the local quilt shops and we'll have some fun :) That's my favorite thing to do anyway :)

Debbie in Austin

Originally posted by dgroby

I knew the TOWA numbers were specific to the brands being discussed, but the needle flex should be more generic shouldn't it? I would think that probably happens on all machines, doesn't it? But - I'm new so I can easily be wrong!

Debbie in Austin

If I understand my sister correctly (who also has a HQ16) she used regular sewing needles in her machine, not the commerical ones that we use in the APQS longarms or even in my Janome 1600 DPX.....with that said...my needles have very little flex...but then again I use a 4.0 (which equals a 110/18 size needle in the regular world) almost exclusively...and that is like a small finishing nail. My sister uses the 90/14's or a needle marked Quilting on the package in her machine.....

Now are all HQ16's like this or have they increased over the years to commerial needles.....my sisters machine is roughly 7 years old, so things could have changed and I really don't have a clue.

Pokies can also be caused by the batting - have you changed your batting lately. I find I like QD the best. Runs very smoothly and never get pokies. I have also noticed that when combining Hobbs 80/20 with some of the metallic asian prints that I have to be more careful with tension - tendency to get the pokies if not careful. This is especially true when my quilt top has lots of different asian fabrics. I'm not the expert but is another idea to look at.

Bonnie,

My HQ16 can use a 14 to 20 needle size (or 3.0, 3.5, 4.0 etc.). These particular needles do not fit into DSM's. They are the same needles that Noltings, Gammills, and, if I'm not mistaken, even the APQS machines use. HQ's also use the M bobbins.

The HQ's are often confused with the stretched machines, but they're actually made from long arm parts. They fit in the middle between the stretched and the true long arms. In inches, features and budget :) I'm only familiar with the newer models. I can say I do love it and have way too much fun on it! Best of all, it fits my budget, space, illness criteria and lifestyle. So, that makes me one happy camper :)

Meg - thank you for mentioning this! Funny, Imy quilt contains some metallic asian prints mixed with non-metallics! I would say this could be the culprit, except my test piece contains the non-metallic fabric and it still isn't right. Thanks for the thought though.

I'm still playing with the tensions, following several suggestions on the forum and privately. So far, no magic. But, I've had construction folks interupting me all day and I haven't spent as much time on it as I would've liked. I will hit it again tomorrow morning before they arrive.

Thanks everyone, for all your help,

Debbie in Austin

Oh, Debby please don't get me wrong...I was not poopooing the HQ16...in fact I was the one who talked my sister into her's...rather than getting a APQS or other brand LA. And I knew at the time it was a great quality made machine, with commerical parts...otherwise I wouldn't have even mentioned it to her or talked her into it.;)

She didn't at the time have a room for a larger machine, and she wasn't sure that she could handle it, having watched me with mine and even trying to use it, so I convinced her to buy it.

My only concern was that she mentioned that she thought it was funny that she was to use the regular Schmetz needles in her machine. Which even the larger sized ones have some flex, where a commerical needle doesn't. Or at least I don't see flex when I just pull my threads through, and that was what I was trying to ask...were yours the Schmetz ones.

Like I said her machine was purchased the first year that they were available, so I didn't know if they had changed that part or not, and I really have no idea if she uses a "M" or "L" bobbin. However, she loves her machine and I have been given many quilts now from it... The HandiQuilter has a great stitch and should I ever need to down size to a smaller table, there would be a good chance that's what I would buy.

Oh Bonnie - I'm sorry if what I wrote sounded short. It was not meant that way at all. I was trying to explain, but apparently didn't do a very good job, that it does use the commercial needles and therefore, could the flexing be normal in that case?

I do apologize if the message appeared too short or that it appeard I took it personally! Not meant that way in the least! I thought I was educating :) but apparently, I was not! My teenager often tells me I have this 'tone'...but I thought she was just complaining because she didn't like what I was saying! ...typical teenager! However - maybe I need to rethink that :)

Have a great day,

Debbie

• 1 month later...

Archived