Quilt Sandwich question

I have a large quilt I started during the dark days after Katrina (17 days without power). After the power came back on I sandwiched it and SID around every block with my DSM to stabilize it for DSM quilting. I am not willing to take all that out. Can I roll it on my Lenni frame and quilt it out even tho it is already together? Sylvia

post--13461900249677_thumb.jpg

Sure...but you have to realize that even though it looks flat and straight you may have a few tucks that have already been placed. If you are willing to over look that possiblity, they go for it.

I spray baste many quilts that are to short in backers and they stay in place while quilting on the longarm, but you need to remember that you need to keep the sandwich a bit looser than if you were quilting the three pieces from scratch.

Hey there JSS, If you SID around each block on your DSM and you cannot see any puckers on the

back then I would say that your qulit is stabilitzed just fine. Some quilters actually SID the whole

quilt to stabilize it and then go back to the top and start filling in. I am a SID & quilt as you go gal.

This should be fine and you only have to load your quilt on 2 rollers, takeup and backing. If you have

any batting left over on the bottom, you might want to trim that off before you pin the backing

onto the roller. That's BATTING, not backing, ok? Otherwise the loose extra batting on the bottom

may get in your way as you roll.

I hope that you post a photo when you are done. I love this quilt. I am so attracted to bright colors and

when they are surrounded by black and white checks/diamons/stripes, well, they just demand

attention. I could look at that quilt all day.

Originally posted by Just Sew Simple

Now, Bonnie, are you saying to keep the quilt loose in the frame as I stitch? Will that help with the tucks or what will that do? Sylvia

Was half asleep when I wrote this morning....Sorry, No, what I was trying to say it that you will only be able to tighten it just so much.. as Linda explained you will only use 2 rollers, but I was trying to say was don't over tighten the quilt.... as the three layers are already together, so it will only be tight on one level...you aren't going to beable to tighten the top hoping the bottom gets tighter if it should be a bit saggy, and the reverse, should the bottom tighten first, and the top needing to go a bit more, you won't be able to do that.

Sorry, hope I did better this time.

you go girl.!!

I will be trying pantos and everything else hopefully by Saturday. Lenni comes tomorrow morning by noon and I have to wait til 5pm to start unpacking her and setting her up after work. then starts my weeks vacation of play time. Did most of you have the professional setup and training or did you wing it. Here is hoping that I can handle the setup with the help of my mechanic son who is always my project partner. He loves this stuff like me so I am hoping we won't have any trouble. Wish me Luck.

Whoa, Syliva, did I misunderstand you? Didn't you say that you had already SID'd the blocks? Was it

SID or was it just a big open basting stitch. Well, now that I ask, how do you baste on a DSM.

So if this is really SID, I'm not sure that you want to panto this quilt over the top of your SID work.

You won't see the SID and really, you won't see the panto stitching because there will be the two

patterns on top of each other.

I think that I would use this as an opportunity to do some front of the machine work. Even if it

is just up/down an inch apart in one black and then side to side in the alternating blocks. That

would be good practice on controlling your machine and you would still end up with a quilt that

looks great. Or, since this is such a fun quilt, you could do freemo circles in one block, then

squares, then question marks, then wavy lines, etc.

I had SID on my DSM (not basted). Those stitches are pretty much unseen. I mean you have to look hard to see them. I have already started the panto with the red thread and it looks really good for a newbe. I am not clever enough yet to decide what would look good from the front of the machine and then execute it and I didn't check my post quickly enough to catch your suggestion. I have one more quilt top (not sandwiched) that is not a national treasure and I can play on the front of the machine with it like you have suggested. I just have to stay BRAVE and breathe. PS You baste on a DSM pretty much like you do on a LA except you move the fabric instead of the machine. I am PDG (pretty darned good) with the DSM. I teach classes on quilting DM all the time!

Archived