Remembering our "boys" over there - This is awesome!

This is a new and awesome video. Three soldiers wrote the song and put this together in their 'free time' over 'there'. The singer needs a recording contract when he comes home! This is a small way we can show our troops we support their efforts, their sacrifice and that of their families.

Click below or copy and paste:

http://www.flashdemo.net/gallery/wake/index.htm

Bobbi this is great... my DH has served 29 years, he retires in May 09 and my oldest son just graduated from Marine Corp Officer Candidate School this summer. He'll train for about two years to achieve his lifelong dream of being a pilot. I just pray that in that time the world will be at peace and he won't have to go to Iraq or whatever country at the time needs the USA's support.

Bobbi, this is great. Only one comment, don't forget the "girls" over there. I retired after 27 years in the Navy. If it wasn't for a medical problem, I would be in Iraq today quilting in a tent. I'm always hearing about the "boys" and get frustrated because the military, less special forces is around 50/50 now. Bobbi this isn't directed at you, I just had to get this off my chest.

Well. that got me! The music is excellent and the pictures even better. We live an hour and a half away from a Canadian Forces Base and hear ceremonies every time they send another Canadian soldier home from Afghanistan in a casket. It breaks my heart because most of the fatalities are so so young.

Sylvia North( 'cus I'm from Canada)

Connie you are so right, when we do our QOV we put some pink in for the girls.

Thanks for the sight Bobbie. I was a navy brat all my life and my brother retired from the Air Force.

Right now I am repairing an American flag that goes on the top of a grain leg, it is HUGE. My neck and shoulders ache from trying to keep it from touching the ground. And as I am sewing I am thinking of all the men and women who are serving our country.

PamH

I've seen this film several times, and always end up wiping rain off my cheeks.. Dad, 3 brothers, hubby and daughter we all in military between 1918 and 1999.. Loved them, and their service as much as I love the gi's we have helping us stay safe and free now.

There are lots of quilt patterns that can be for boys or girls.. and I try to pick them when making them.. there are also at least 2 other organizations similar to Quilts of Valor who give to the Vets, wounded or ill GI's, etc.. Can't remember names..

Can anyone chip in with their names??

Thanks for reminding us of them, Bobbi..

RitaR

Bobbi,

Thanks for sending this link along - wow, what a great voice and an incredibly powerful message this sends. My son and daughter-in-law are both West Point grads - class of 2001. They are now in Hawaii (Oahu), she's doing a medical fellowship for psychiatry - much needed, I'm afraid.

I'm hoping to get more involved in QOV, I think it's a great cause. Cheers to you.

One is the Wounded Warrior Batallion in Oceanside, CA. There is another center on the big island of Hawaii. The General (?) in charge of the one in Hawaii had toured the one in California. Saw all of the quilts on the full sized beds. When he toured the finished center in Hawaii he looked perplexed and asked where were all the quilts for the beds. Our quilt lady picked out quilts that were too small for the full sized beds and sent them over for the twin beds. Some of the quilts were also used for marines that lost homes during some of the wild fires. -- For the full sized beds, they like 80" x 100" so they can have a pillow tuck. This center is for marines and sailors who are out of the hospital but still need treatment of some sort. They are not ready to go home. They heal quicker being together with fellow marines and or sailors. When they leave the center they get to take the quilt they picked out during their stay. Good cause.

We have a National Guard facility here in Salem, and my guild makes quilts and takes them there and they see to it that the quilts get up to the Military Hosptal at Ft. Lewis in Washington State. There isn't a name for our group, it is just our guild's way of helping. If I can remember correctly, they have made about 140 or so quilts last year and sent them up to Ft Lewis. I'm sure our guild isn't the only one that is doing this. The commander came to one of our meetings and personally thanked us. There are lots of ways to show our men & women in the military that we are so very thankful for what they are doing for us within our borders and on the outside of our borders. It is certainly better to keep the fighting outside our borders than waiting for it to start up within our borders. Just my 2 cents worth. :cool:

Archived