Patty Jo's coloring party

THe thread Linda North used is dark green. Linda South used white so all you see is the design. Both are very effective.

The sealer is: DecoArt Fabric Medium. It should be available at any craft store. You put it on, wait 24 hours, put a pressing cloth on and heat set it. Directions on the bottle. I think Shana is the one that says easy peasy. Or Sherry. Of course, with Sherry, everything is easy peasy. Sigh.

Sheri woman, you better be going to MQS this year--right!! I am missing all my friends. :P:P:P

Nancy

Hello Ellen - you lurker you!!! Glad to see you here on the forum. Are you going to post a picture of your completed block?

And Hi Jill, I can't wait to see pictures of your block completed. And Innovations is just right around the corner. That will be a good time I'm thinkin'. Fun Fun Fun

It was sooo much fun to have you all here. But the 2 Linda's made this all possible. I don't know if I could have quilted all the samples and they made it very easy on me by volunteering to do it. The Fabric Medium was easy, I shop on-line and it came to the mail box!!! LOL Only way to save gas and get the best prices!:cool:

Bev--oh my, that is gorgeous!! Beautiful shading on the whole thing!!!

For those interested, Irena suggests using sateen for the colored wholecloth. I used a fairly high thread count PFD (prepared for dying) cotton which I pre-washed along with the unbleached muslin I used for the backer. Everyone had a choice of which side to use.

Most blocks were stitched with dark green Signature with a more sage-y green 40 weight on the back. A couple of sunflowers were done with Mother Goose.

I marked off 13 1/2 inch squares with an air erase pen, stitched a double line between to leave room to cut apart with pinking shears, and went to town.

I have been up to my arse in customer quilts lately and this was a much-needed adventure just for me and my brain. And it was a gift to all my quilty friends!!

Attached photo is of the first few blocks. I didn't have time to take a photo of them all.

Let's see some more!! I am almost finished with my pretty CQ design Linda of the South did--I think I will shadow-box it and hang it in my studio. I will post a pic when finished.

post--13461900446321_thumb.jpg

Oh my gosh, Bev. It turned out so much better than mine. I am no artist, that is for sure. I was so envious of your talent when I looked across the table and saw what you did. Jimmy's came out great too. Did he finish? Wow, you really need to frame that. I think having those wider leaves gives you a little more room for shading. I am happy with mine as a first project, but I really want to practice up so I can do Joann Hoffman's Koi fish on the CQ, then color it in and embellish it. Maybe I can have it done by the next meeting.

See you and Jimmy in October.

Nancy Jo

P.S. Patty Jo, that is my kind of shopping!!!

I couldn't take the idea of going inland in the heat but it sounds like you guys had way too much fun without me, I see October 19th as the next meeting Is it going to be and Jim and Bex's? Please advise. Linda R you just keep getting more and more talented I am so glad I count you as quilting friend really so glad I count you all as quilting buddies. Nancy sorry I missed you!! love to all dale (a moxie missing):(

Bev, I'm so glad you posted your colored quilt pic. I love the way that your shading looks on the leaves.

And Linda, your freehand quilting is so beautiful. I could look at it with a magnifying glass and it would be beautiful still.

Dale, I'll look forward to seeing you at Beth's.

Here are the 3 that I finished - The first 2 are quilted by Linda of the South and the final one is by Linda of the North.

2385756380094956607S500x500Q85.jpg

2914419450094956607S500x500Q85.jpg

2956733630094956607S500x500Q85.jpg

Jane, the sealer isn't really a sealer. It is a product that you can get at Michaels called Fabric Medium. You paint it onto fabric after it has been colored with paint, colored pencils, color crayons, or dye. You paint it onto the fabric and it causes the color to "set" into the fabric, let it dry for 24 hrs then you place a pressing cloth over the design and heat set it with a dry iron and that will make it a washable fabric. It is really very easy to do. You should try it. A fun thing that even the kids could do....:cool:

Bev, Nancy Jo and Patty JO. very pretty coloring I must say. I have been working on mine on my train ride in the morning. Lots of stares but not one person has asked what I am doing. I think they may think I am one of those bag ladies that has finally lost it:P

Archived