how to do panto & custom

Janice

I have a quilt I would like to do a panto for the body portion and on the two borders do custom designs.

Could someone tell me how to do this. How do I stop at the edge of the panto? What do I do with the thread so it doesn't show? I will stitch in the ditch around both of the borders. I will be using a different color thread on the quilt and different on each of he borders.

I don't often do pantos . I mostly work from the front of the machine. I hope you can help me pull this off. The girl did a nice job making the quilt.

Also, I haven't figured out how to do avitar, pictures & signature. Gee!! I really need help

Thanks, Jan

Hi Jan,

Let's start with the Avatar, pictures and signature. Click on the drop-down arrow next to your login name in the upper left hand corner of the screen. You will see the words "My Settings" there. When you click on that, you can add and edit your personal settings, including uploading your photo for your avatar. The best way to do that is to have the photo you wish to upload in an easily accessible spot on your computer. For example, put a copy of the photo on your computer "desktop". Then click on the "change my photo" button and follow the instructions. When you've done any changing there, scroll to the bottom of the "My Settings" page and be sure to save your changes.

While you are in the "My Settings" tab, take a look at the left side of the screen. There you'll see all of the other places where you can update and change information, including your signature.

Now as for the quilting question...it sounds like you know how to tackle the borders so I'll assume that's already OK. To do the pantograph "inside" the border, stand at the pantograph side of the table, and align your needle with the RIGHT edge of the section you want the pantograph in (the right side as viewed from the panto side of the table....when you're on the panto side you will quilt right to left.) Drop the needle into that seam line between the border and the inner section to help the machine maintain its position while you adjust the laser.

With the needle in that spot, take a look at where your laser meets the pantograph pattern. If you like how it aligns, then use a dry erase marker on the clear plastic pantograph cover and draw a line that represents the right edge of your quilt. This line is exactly in line with your laser dot. Now move the machine to the seam line between your top border and the rest of the quilt, so that the needle is aligned with the seam. Don't move the laser itself, but instead move the machine so that the needle follows the seam. (you aren't sewing, just moving the machine.) As you move it, mark the panto plastic where the laser dot falls with your dry erase marker. Keep marking until the machine reaches the left edge of the border. Now move the needle so that it follows that side border and add the marks to your plastic.

In essence, you're drawing where the quilt's actual seams are at on your plastic panto cover. You'd have 3 straight lines--two that define the left and right seams where you want the panto to stop, and one that defines the the border seam. Remember that whenever you look at the laser dot---wherever it happens to be--it's exactly like looking at the needle. Once you have these three lines drawn on the plastic, you can slide the panto UNDER the plastic to the left or right or up or down until you like how it is placed between the marks. Since the marks identify your "quilting space" up on the top of the quilt, you can reposition the panto until you're happy. You may want part of the panto design to look like it is "spilling past" all the borders without trying to place a complete row as the first pass, for example.

To "stop" the panto, quilt the design, but any time the panto line actually approaches the line you drew on top of the panto plastic, you'll want to stop just a little short of the drawn line. Then you can walk around to the front and place teeny tiny stitches for that last 1/4-inch or so, and can see exactly where you'll run into the border ditch/seam and stop precisely there. Once you've secured that section of the panto, move to the panto side again, and move the machine to the next line you must stitch. Secure your starting threads and repeat. Any time you "run into" the drawn line on the plastic, stop a little short and run to the other side and finish on the freehand side for the most accurate placement.

When you do the next row of the panto, it will be a "full or complete" row, so rub off the mark on your plastic that represented the horizontal border seam, but leave the two side marks in place. Eventually you'll get to the bottom section of your quilt, and you'll need to repeat the process and add another long line to your plastic that represents the seam between your inside area and the bottom border. Then stop your quilting at that line, just as you did on the top border.

Hope that makes sense...sometimes when you type it out it doesn't come out as clear as it is in my head. :)

Dawn, if there is another human being on the planet that can explain things in writing as clearly as you....I have yet to meet them. Thanks so much for this. I tried this on a quilt prior to your explanation with "mixed" results. I will not hesitate to try it again now that I know what I am doing.

Great instructions, Dawn!

I will stick my nose in here to add--charge custom pricing for this procedure please! :)

The finagling of the panto, the time it takes to tape it off, the SID down the seams, the running from back to front and back again, the careful advancing of the top--all that takes care and time. Then a custom border as well. It is a great design decision and pantos are pretty stitched out. But if it ain't edge-to-edge it's custom! I wouldn't give a price break just because the center is a panto.

Off the soapbox...

Thanks to Dawn for the good information. I did the panto on the body of the quilt and custom on the borders. I had no problems. It turned out nicely. It was easier than I thought it would be. It was, maybe, a twin size quilt so I didn't have much to do. I did a curly hearts panto, figure 8, and piano keys. It was fun. I hope the lady likes it.

Dawn,

Your explanation was better than any I read in books....have you thought about writing a book? I have done 2 panto graphs only and it wasn't bad at all...I really like how you explained about the 3 lines being the seam lines on the quilt...I am visual and this seared it into my brain...

Thanks,

tella

Archived