Baby Blocks for Mary Beth's daughter Jen

As many of you know Mary Beth's daughter Jen is having a difficult pregnancy. There are four pages of concerned comments from us on the chat! That's a lot of good will, prayers and blessings coming her way. There are so many of us making birthday blocks. Let's make a block to give to Mary Beth's daughter Jen so that she will have a quilt from all of us to help her through her pregnancy and can pass on to her newborn.

If this is a good idea, then we will need to prewash fabrics, choose a size block (6.5, 8.5, 10.5), fabric type (cotton), colors(pink and blue), a stop date (July first), and a place to send them all (Mary Beth's home). Then Mary Beth can put minky on the back for softness.

Let's hear what you think?

Vicki

post--13461898092235_thumb.jpg

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sign me up.

It's probably too early to know - boy or girl. Maybe a soft yellow. I would think that small (6" ) blocks would be better for a baby quilt.

It is so sweet of you to think of this, Vicki. The quilt will be

a tangible source of support for Jen, knowing how many people are wishing her and the baby well.

I think it is a great idea.

Sign me up! I've been reading MaryBeth's thread every day, and my heart goes out to her and Jen and family. My own son is experiencing serious health issues that are very scary, and I pray no other mother has to endure what I've been going through. I pray every day for Jen, and I'm glad to see there's something concrete we can do also. Thanks, Vicki!! Just let me know what you all decide and I'll do my very best for Jen.

Miss Vicki, this is the best idea, sweetest thing! I would love to make a block for Jennifer. Just let me know the color/theme, size block, etc. and "I'll get right on that....." :) I might even make two. Heck if I'm making one, it's no biggie to whip another one together at the same time.

PS: Love that yellow bouquet photo you attached.

Let's wait to see what Mary Beth says about color, theme, etc. I think it would be great if everybody made 2, if they can, especially if they are 6" finished size. The best baby quilts I ever had were the 40 x 40 or larger ones, great for crawling on the floor, or for swaddling.

Count me in! I'm hoping that we'll have so many blocks to send that Mary Beth and Jennifer will have too many, and have enough for extra quilts for someone else in need.

Thanks so much for not only thinking of it, but doing something about it!

Keep us posted please, maybe with a new thread when we find out details?

Thanks, Beth

Count me in too!

Could we narrow this down a little? Perhaps limit the colors--pastels or brights, solids, mottled, gingham??

I need more direction, pleeeeease! (Sorry-a little whine snuck in there!)

Love the size but I assume it will finish at 6" and thus need to be 6.5? It would be great to get a pile of blocks with enough for a baby and a momma quilt.

I'm here if we need finishers--either piecing or quilting. Let me know!!

Linda Rech

Okay, let's march! Lots of good ideas from you guys. It's amazing how willing you folks are to help someone in need. I'm all goosebumply. Let's make the common denominator 6.5" unfinished, pre-washed cottons in white white (no creams) with any combination of pastel colors in light yellow, light green, light pink, light blue, light turquoise, light melon, light purple. With a larger color pallet we can use fabrics we already have in our stash and colors that fit our individual personalities. Let's stick to baby type soft fabrics and not batiks or anything too bright. Then this quilt will surely match with anything and stitching on the white areas will show up nicely. We have about a dozen of us so if we each make one block or two and then include a pastel square 6.5", Mary Beth can combine the detailed, pieced blocks with the plain fabric and white blocks. I'll locate some minky for the back in white.

Design within the color choice perameters and size is up to you. Let's show our individuality. This quilt will be unique and there will be a great story behind the finished look. Can't wait to see what all of you make.

Be sure to sign your block with a fine line permanent marker along an edge of a pieced seam line in the pieced blocks only. Be sure to have your blocks ready by the end of June. Destination? Please contact me at dancingstitcher@mac.com for mailing information. Linda Rech - you offered some piecing or quilting help. Thank you darlin'. Could you clarify what you are willing to do?

What did I miss? Are we all in agreement "devoted quilt soldiers"?

Vicki of Arizona

You girls are something special.

I started reading this after I came home from the hospital last night and I was so touched. I thought about making it a surprise for Jen, but then decided she needed to know just how much everyone cares for her and what she is going through. I called her and read all of your posts to her and we were both bawling!!

I never intended for you all to go to all this trouble when I started telling you about all of our problems. In fact, I almost didn't post anything about it because I just didn't know if it was appropriate for this site. Then I decided to heck with it...you girls are too willing to pray and are too caring not to share something like this.

Thank you! Thank you!! Thank you all!!!

You are so kind.

Archived