REPRIVE! - Mountain Mist Cream Rose 100% cotton batting....?

Last night I met with a new customer who gave me a very pretty batik top with a batik backing to quilt for her. The top is very well pieced and quite pretty. Both the top and the backing are very dark tones with a few lighter bits here and there.

She provided the Mountain Mist Cream Rose (whitish) 100% cotton batting to use. For one thing, it is very thin, but I'm also conserned about it tearing or stretching as I work. Also, do you think it will poke through the backing?

She said her best friend, a quilting teacher in CA, said this was the best batting to use - her very favorite. My new customer did say that if I couldn't manage this batting she would be OK with a substitute of my choice, as long as it is another thin batting. She does not like the look of thick batting.

I have the top and backing loaded on my frame, so I'm ready to start it. If I need to switch, I have the right size QD Green and also QD blend (white).

What would you do????

I would go for it, with her batt. Normally I would say stay away from anything by Mountain Mist, but maybe they are trying for an improvement & as long as it was recommended by someone who has used it, and the customer wants to try it, she should not complain about the result.

A lot of people on this forum do not like the Quilters Dream"Request" cotton, for the same reason; it is very thin and stretchy. However, it is well suited to my climate & I have used it many times, with pretty good success. You have to be very careful not to stretch it as you move the quilt along. Just smooth it down with your hands, gently & it will not tear. You also have to watch your tension pretty carefully. Hopefully this new stuff will behave as well for you. Good luck, & let us know how it goes.

I unrolled the MT Mist batting and guesss what??? It must have been the left-over piece that her friend used! It is not large enough, unless I was able to piece it together, and even then I have my doubts that there is enough. I guess I will have to use my own batting.

I was just comparing the thickness of the QD Blend and the QD Green. I think the Green is thinner, so that is what I will use. I also think (hope) that the Green is less likely to poke through the backing.

I've used the QD Request for people who didn't want the thick and heavy look. I didn't have any problems with quilting it. I did a King size quilt and it looked great. Personally, I like the thin batting for my own king size bedspreads. It's not so heavy and I can throw it in my own washer when I need to clean it. We don't have a dry cleaner in town so it makes it convenient to do your own. I've broke my washer before trying to wash those big thick comforters.

Good info, Hitomi. I haven't tried the QD Request, but it certainly sounds do-able with extra care.

Great point, Susan. When we were meeting, I did ask her if I had to substitute the batting did she want 100% cotton, but she said it didn't matter to her as long as it was thin. I prefer cotton and wool for my own quilts, but lots of my customers like the Green because it is thin and more reasonable than some others, plus they feel it is good because it is recycled.

Hi Sandra,

I used QD exclusively and like the way the Request quilts up too. Have used it mostly for smaller quilts but did have a customer who had a flannel quilt (front & back) who decided to go with Select instead. There isn't a huge difference in the thickness.

BTW, we don't have hot flashes. Those are "Power Surges". :P

Sandra, I just used a Pellon product, Legacy Bamboo/Cotton batting. It quilted up pretty flat, and the label says it's "cool". It felt "light and airy" off the machine and I think it may be a great batting for warmer climates. I'm not sold on it yet personally...I thought I'd mention it in case someone else has experience with it.

I just did a baby quilt--headed for southern CA. using a MM cotton. It was thin but not the Rose Cream. It worked great. Any of the thin cottons are a bit stretchy so you do have to be careful with them .

MM has come a long way compared to their old battings that just fell apart on the machine. I wouldn't use them years ago.

Archived