It's Millie's Birthday!!

My Millie is 3 years old today!! She was delivered and assembled 3 years ago today by Bob and Tony. Happy Birthday to her and many, many more!!:P:P:P

It's been a wild ride for the last 3 years. Here's a list of some things I've done in the last few years:

1. Taken classes at the APQS showroom for Dawn C, Marilyn Badger and Karen McTavish. All of the are fabulous teachers and the classes were worth every penny!! :cool:

2. Attended Innovations 2006 in Tacoma. I learned so much in the classes I took. It was there that I met Linda Rech and Linda Card. This show was my first time to enter a quilt in any show. I got a first place in the new quilter category!! It was a wonderful suprise and a great confidence booster. Even better, my daughter lives in Tacoma so we had a good time at the show picking out the ones to vote for. ;)

3. Attended MQS 2006, 2007 and 2008. The first one I was there only for 2 days. The second one I was there most of the week and took many classes. Shopped way to much!!

The third one Shana was my roommate. It was great to get to know her personally. Unfortunately I was sick the entire week. Thanks for being my rommie Shana and putting up with me all week!! I had quilts in the 2006 and 2007 shows that all won awards. I also met Claudia and Myrna at MQS 2008. Both of them are great!! I still haven't met Sherrry R. That is on my LA bucket list.

4. Entered quilts in MQX 2007 and 2008. All of the quilts won awards. I used the money won here for a shopping spree at MQS!!:cool:

5. Entered quilts in HMQS 2008 and they won awards. The best award was a teacher ribbon from Karen McTavish!!

6. I passed the 250 mark quilt for customer quilts in the last month. I learned something on every one of them!! Sometimes what to do :P and sometimes what not to do!! :o

7. I learned how to skin a quilt several days ago from Bonnie. I put into practice last night with a pillow sham I was quilting. Although, I kept forgetting that I had a razor blade in my hand and I have a few nicks on my left hand this morning. :o:o I'm glad the nicks were on my hand instead of the quilt!! Great technique. Thanks Bonnie!!

8. Entered quilts in local shows and the Iowa state fair. They won awards there. A friend won the Best Machine Quilting at the state fair this year.

9. Made many, many new friends in the LA world. Wonderful people!!

10. With the help of a friend, designed a few rulers to make some of my quilting easier. One of the rulers she had at MQS and she sold a number of them.

11. I live in Des Moines and chose APQS for my quilting machine. I am so fortunate to have Bob, Tony and Dawn close by!! They have all been at my house to help with problems and have listened to me in person, on the phone and emails. Thanks to all of you!!

12. The APQS showroom is a about a mile from where I live. This is now a frequent stop for emergency supplies at lunch. Thanks to Brandie for putting up with me!!

13. Diagnosed and fixed a bad wheel problem over the course of my first 6 months. The APQS support was outstanding. I spent many hours on the phone with Mark trying to figure out the problem. He even sent Mike Moore to my house at one point. Mike fixed the problem and then tweaked my machine even more!! Mark and Mike are both the best!! :):):)

14. Had the 2 day maintenance class in Carroll with Mark and Mike. It's a great class and I highly recommend it. The tour of the factory was really neat to see how the machines are made.

15. Finished a basement so that I have a decent studio to work in. In the course of that, the contractor broke his ankle. So a 2 week job turned into a 2 month job. For a time, Millie lived in a 12 X 12 office and shared space with a computer desk, book shelves and a love seat. It was very cramped quarters. Now that Millie is back in her resting place, I am truly grateful for the large studio that I have.

16. Ordered Quilt Studio. I am so excited about getting this!!:cool:

17. Met Heidi at the APQS showroom with Monkey and Chicken. It was really fun to meet her and take the silly pictures of the animals at the showroom!! Thanks Heidi!!

18. Quilted an auction quilt for a customer that was recently auctioned for $2500. What a surprise when my customer called me.

19. Pieced and quilted a raffle quilt for the Iowa Square Dance Federation that is currently travelling around the state. This has been great advertisement and has brought in several new customers. I've been told that the raffle sales are going quite well.

20. Started several show quilts that are UFO's for the time being. Romancing the Stone, Be Still, To Die For, PianoForte to name a few. I'm hoping that Quilt Studio will free up some time to finish these up.

21. Quilted numerous charitly quilts and mission quilts for my church. I also recently had the privilege of teaching these gals that pieced these how to prepare their quilts for me when they bring them.

22. Spent a weekend in KC with MB and Linda Card. What a great time shopping and just hanging out for a few days. Ask Linda C about the spider sometime!! :P:P

23. Spent 3 days volunteering at MQS 2008 in the judging room. What a great learning experience!!

And last but definitely not least, I joined this forum and spend way too much time reading it!!

Debbi

Hey there! What about MEEEE!

Remember me??? I was your 2008 MQS roomie that loves you more than anyone else in the whole wide world! Plus, I am the President of the Debbi Treusch Fan Club

Hey! :) Don't forget me, too ... lol!

(joking aside...)

Debbi, your list of accomplishments, milestones, are wonderful. No doubt you will be adding many more to your list. In just three short years just look at you, look at you go, girl! :)

I am always so proud of you, Debbi.

This is a great thread Deb, it makes you stop and think. You have had a great ride in your quilting career. Did you ever think it would be like this?

I know that sometimes we grumble and groan about customer quilts, friendly borders and tension problems. It is good to be reminded that what we make is a thing of beauty; maybe not always to us :o but the customer loves what she sees.

:)

And Happy Birthday to your Millie.;)

post--13461900510029_thumb.jpg

Hi Linda. The last 3 years has gone above and beyond what I ever imagined it would be. What about yourself and your quilting career? Maybe we should start another thread. It would make for some great reading and probably some encouragement to the newbies.

And you are so right about the grumbling. Every quilt I do for a customer is a learning experience and somtimes experiements to try new things. Some of them I like and some of them I don't like. But I'm not out to please myself. If my customer is happy with what I do, that's all that matters. Thanks for the reminder!! :)

Shana - I have great memories of our week together. Some of them are kinda hazy from the medicine head, but it was a lot of fun. Are you going to volunteer for judging again next year? I'd like to, but my son is getting married on May 1st. So I think MQS will probably be out next year except for a day of shopping and taking in all of the beautiful quilts!!

Later,

Debbi

Archived