Watch your back....

I've heard it from the pros - stabilize your quilt - BUT I didn't on an embroidered quilt. The blocks were big and I had to roll back and forth to get it all done. On the very last block I rolled and there was a huge tuck in the backing....gasp!!! Now what do I do? I just stood there and almost started crying. I'm doing custom quilting and tiny peacock feathers...I can only see ripping that block out, which will take me hours and hours.....moral of the story....next time I'll stabilize with stitches or advice from Myrna pin the heck out of it. This will be a hard lesson to learn! I'm already behind with Christmas quilts. I may take it off and call my sweet MIL and ask her if she would rip for me...she's retired and always looking for something to do - wish me luck!

Oh, Sharon.. I hate that kind of situation.. did you read about how the gals skin a quilt? that might work.. just make sure the blade is aiming at an angle towards the batting..

Good luck.. Call the MIL fast.. and let her undo while you do a new one.

RitaR

ooooooeeeeeee

I would probably do the "hide the tuck" on the back rather than rip out. Is the top fabric durable to take the punishment? I would explain to the customer too, what you are doing. I had a wrinkle in the batting once that you could see and feel. It wasn't densely quilted so it was really obvious. I talked to the customer and she was very understanding. We hoped that after washing, when everything shrank, it would not be so obvious. I guess it turned out ok, she didn't complain.

Good luck, and thanks for the warning. We can all use a little "heads up" once in a while just to keep us awake.:)

Ladder stitch is a stitch bear makers use to sew the back seam. I am sure there are lots of sites with good instructions if you google. It invloves taking a tiny stitch one side then directly opposite take another and pull together enclosing the raw edges. Hope this helps.

Well, I spent some time on the quilt last night and ended up taking a little tuck across the backing on one block. After quilting it didn't look too noticeable. There is still one place about 6" long that I may try and take out and ease the fullness with quilting. I'm thinking of giving the customer a discount because of my mistake - would you?

Thanks for your help.

Sharon

Archived