t-shirt quilts

grannyju

Lately I've had several t-shirt quilts brought to me to quilt. Some of them have photographs on them. Do y'all just quilt them E2E even though you might go right through people's faces on the photos (especially if the thread color is bright)? It just makes me nervous to think about doing that and I probably just need to get over it. Right? I'm pretty new at this and am not doing custom stuff for customers yet.

Julie

I do not go through the photos. This tends to leave large holes that don't relax as they do in cotton fabric. If photos are large and need a little anchoring, then little stitch.

Stitch in the ditch around the photos to anchor and allows them to pop out a bit. I keep the borders simple to not take away from the photos/memories.

Hope this helps and of course we would love to see pics of the finished quilt(s).

I ETE my t-shirt quilts but I use only Maderia Monopoly in the smoke color. That stuff is fantastic. It doesn't show on EITHER the white/light colors or on the black/dark. It's the absolute only monopoly I use, and a little spool lasts FOREVER. I done 2 full sized ETE t-shirt quilts and 1 small art quilt with the little spool and it doesn't even look used.

I use it on t-shirt quilts because I don't have to worry about it taking away from/distracting from the shirts or looking too busy.

HTH

I do a light freehand on my t-shirt quilts and try to do something that complements the t-shirt design. Often it's just a loopy meander, or outline the design, etc. I also use monofilament thread. I wouldn't go through the photos if I could avoid it, but if you're following a panto, it might look odd to stop and start around the photo.

Julia

I am so scared to use monopoly on my precious long arm. I wrapped some of that up inside of my Pfaff DSM and had to take it to my service man 350 miles away and leave it there to get it repaired. I am ascared of that stuff!!:o:o:o

Plus I can't see half the time anyway...it's like sewing with black thread...I can't see the stuff to thread needles, etc. drives me nuts.

I have many issues...

Archived