edge rider wheels

meg_marsh

Hi Meg, thank you by the way for the advice on the cross tubes. I watched as the center came down before my eyes. Very Cool!!!. I am still having a lot of vibration as I quilt toward myself form the free hand side. Beth and her DH hopefully will be able to figure it out.

With regard to the edger rider wheels. It took me a while to put them on largely because the technical support for the company is really bad. Plan on taking at least a day for it. When you get to the wheels with s/r parts you will have trouble. To get the wheels off you have to disassemble all the gears and such. I was hot and sweaty and frustrated when I was done. Sorry I don't have better news. You can email me if you get stuck and I will try to help. I had a problem getting my cams to seat properly. Never did solve it. I took mine off and am back to my black wheels.

Nora

Millennium

Washougal WA

Interesting - thanks for the heads up. I know they can be installed because others have done it - we will both be interested in what they have to say...........

What kind of vibration - the table or carriage??? I actually like to hear about these problems - have so much to learn and even though I don't remember everything - it keeps absorbing and I keep learning.......... Good luck!!

Meg,

My DH installed my EdgeRiders for me last January, and it only took a couple hours. Required extra washers - and had to raise my bars a little - but not a lot of grief. You can call us for advice if you'd like - phone number's on the website.

Good luck!

Don't know about the combination of CL with EdgeRiders - you'll just have to try it and see. I didn't raise the takeup bar, only the other three, and just a little - wanted to clear my extended base, which is on almost all the time. You might not have to raise yours at all, especially if you already have the CL installed and don't have a problem. The bars are easy to raise - take the rollers out (see your manual), and give the eye-bolts a turn or two (as needed) clockwise to raise the bars. Just be sure to give each eye-bolt the same number of turns!;)

I have the edgerider's. WOW! It only took maybe 2 hrs tops.

Barb is right. It's the extra washers they don't provide! I think their instruction sheet that comes with it is awful.

After you have them put on, remember to adjust your rollers. Since these sit up about 1/2" or so higher, your rollers need to be adjusted accordingly, so your machine can move front to back and side to side without hitting the bottoms of the rollers. Make sense? And DONT adjust your table HIGHER! Remember, the smoother it glides the better your quilting! Adjust the table center "down " a bit. That's where everyone says their machine "grabs" or doesn't glide smooth. I put my ear up to to the silver angle iron that the machine glides on, and i "listened" to my machine slide back, forth, and side to side. If I heard a "different sound" that's the area where my table or my roller cage needed to be adjusted/lowered. Make sense?????

Sorry for this to be so long, I just want all of you to have the "quilting thru butter" that I have.

Sheri - does make sense - have had to work with the cross tubes in the past for that very reason - Amy told me about the cross tubes as being all a part of the leveling. I have a 10' table and the tubes are big when adjusting everything since there is not a truss! Will have to ck on size of washer today to make sure I have some. I really want to get these on because I am going to put major effort into feathers!!!! and everyone indicates how much smoother the machine moves with the edgerider's.

Okay, my DH and I put these wheels on today. It took like five hours and two phone calls for help. We did not follow the instructions. the bolts they sent were not long enough, so we had to leave off some big spacers that were on my old wheels. Everything seems level and smoooooth so far. We only said a few bad words during the process.

You can do it too.

Mine are on!! A couple of phone calls to Barb (DH, Mike) and a few hours later - my baby is purring like a kitten. Hardest part - APQS had put a shorter bolt on the back left lower rail wheel - too short for the edgerider wheel. Had to take the solenoid apart to get a longer bolt in. Then it was a bit of trial and error figuring just the right combination of washers - you can start with what they tell you - but you will probably have to adjust to make everything just right. The actual process of putting the wheels on was very easy - the figuring the washers was time consuming.

Anyway, they really do make a difference. Since I have finally started working from the front of the machine and want to do some of the things I see here and other places, I know that I need to really practice backtracking (and doing it well), hitting my marks, etc. Today, it was already easier with the new wheels - This makes me think that my PPP'ing new techniques should be more productive - or at least I hope so.

Now - I need to make another quilt - mine are all done at the moment and I get very bored with muslin. Will throw together something easy that will lend itself to lots of quilting!!!

Thanks Barb & Mike - you really helped!! I have a little bit more tweaking - but I know that I am almost there!!! Wish I could say the same for my quilting - but it is getting better!!

I agree. Amy said that the original edgerider wheels had problems - she also noted that they had not re-investigated. I think they should or come up with wheels that are similar. In just the few hours I played today, I felt that they were much better!! I did use the spacers but still had to play to get all the wheels just right! The next time around would be much easier!! Just like putting our babies together the first time - much more time consuming that the 2nd! LOL on us!!!

I'm finding that I will have to 'relearn' longarming with these new wheels. It is so much smoother, and easier to move. I feel like I'm starting all over again. I did practice on some old sheets before doing a real quilt, but I still feel a bit loosey goosey. It is nice, but I need control!!

Archived