Any Ideas???

Karen,

It really depends how much custom she wants to pay for. I could think of lots of ideas that would make the quilt pop. In the center of the blocks, sq-in-sq I'd do a small feather wreath or some kind of design. Then for the basket (thats what it reminds me of) you could cc the smaller triangles and cross hatch the bigger one. In the sashing I'd cc the nine patch and cross hatch the sashing. I'd piano key the outside border, loopy something in the black border and I would probably just SID the middle, unless it is bigger than it looks in which case you could add some kind of stipplish design in the white space which would make the blue pop. I think the quilt has lots of potential.

Karen,

Keeping in mind that I am a newbie, and just trying to get my feet wet at looking at tops & trying to see a design...maybe CL spirals on the pieced blocks & a feather design going around those blocks & some clams on the borders.:)

Wow, Karen, your post is like a variation on

"aaaaaah, they're playing our song!!":

This is exactly what we will be teaching in our MQS2009 class "Block Digitizing - it's a Challenge"

See the class description on

http://quilters.pre-design.eu/mqs2009.htm

All students in our class will digitize patterns for 3 different quilt blocks, often used in customer quilts. We will show how to create continuous line patterns, how to create elements which can be re-used in other blocks. At the end of the class all patterns will be shared among the students:so draw 3, get 30 patterns.

To give you some ideas for your quilt: as all blocks use the same patchwork pattern, with only slightly different fabrics (at least that is what we can see from the photo), you could create a different quilt pattern for each block, or for each row. The quilting would then be sort of a sampler, adding interest to the quilt: no block would be the same.

There are a few openings in our class # 322, so hurry :)

Loes

I'm not usually into Civil War prints but I like the light blue in this. I would definitely do it custom.

I would do minimal quilting in the sashing. To me, the sashing is too big to quilt much in otherwise, because of its size, it could overpower the block. Crosshatch is good but I think that 2 straight lines would still nail it down without competing with the blocks.

Lots of CC, SID, some ruler work for chevrons and sashing and a few feathers. I drew it up in Paint.

post--13461900979813_thumb.jpg

Archived