Embroidery Machines

When I started my long arm busines I also did embroidered quilt labels...then my DSM/embroidery machine broke down and I found out that they were never intended to hold up to anything more than personal use.

Do yourself a favor if you do add embroidery services, buy your self an industrial/professional embroidery machines and don't use the domestic ones.

Robin, I tried to call you, but YA weren't home....I was going to tell you pretty much what JoAnn stated. Buy a indrustrial machine...NOW it doesn't have to be a Toyota or big like that. I do have a 12 needle Toyota, and its wonderful to have, but you will not use that many colors unless you are really into some of the fancy jacket backs....I honestly use about 6-8 needle most of the time.

Now Brother, Babylock and Janome all have industrial style machines....Brother and Babylock I have used and have most of the software to run these machines...I have seen the stitches from a Janome...and any of these machines would be wonderful for what you are looking to get into.

Hat hoops are different from machine to machine, so if you are going to do that make sure that you can do both HIGH profile as well as LOW profile hats.....the difference is the area between the bill and the top of the crown... Tiger Woods wears only low profile if you are needing a visual...and most of the farmers in Montana...are your high profile hats.;):P;)

If you have any questions...you are more than welcome to call me...I will help anyway I can.

Hi Robin,

I have an embroidery business. I have 2 commercial machines. Both are Brothers one is a 9 needle (bought it used) the other is a 12 needle. They have been great machines. The older one stitches as well as the newer one. I bought Brother because I had a dealer close. There are many good brands to choose from. I agree I don't think a home emb. mahine will hold up as well in the long haul. However I do have 2 home emb. machines a Bernina and a Babylock.

If you are going to do hats and jackets I would get an industrial machine. Bonnie is right on about the high and low proflile hats. Carhart coats are quite heavy to do, so if you are going to do those make sure the machine is stong enough to hold them. I've always wondered if the Babylock 6 needle would do them.

My embroidery keeps me busy and it is hard to find time to quilt as much as I want to.

When I bought my machines I got the phone book out and called the emb. shops in another town and asked them about their machines. They were all very nice and helpful.

If I can be al any help just let me know.

Good Luck

PamH

I have the Babylock 6 needle and also the Ellegante. I have embroidered on a Carhart jacket for my SIL on the Ellegante before I got the 6 needle. It can be done but I would not recommend it. (too much trouble hooping and watching the machine so that it didn't destroy the jacket....if you know what I mean).

The cap hoop is an issue with me. The embroidery area is too small on the Babylock 6 needle. I have had mine a couple of years so this might have changed. So like it was suggested make sure you have enough area if you intend to do the farmer style hats.

Sharon

• 4 weeks later...

I have the Brother PR-600C, 6 needle machine and love it!!

I recommend it for anyone. It's simple to use and fairly maintenance free. I've had it over 2 years and never had to touch the tension dial. Brother and Babylock are basically the same machines and both made by Brother. The Brother software (PE-Design 8.0) is also simple to use and makes digitizing a piece of cake. Most DSM's can embroidery but it takes forever to do a design when changing thread colors 1 at a time. The new Brother 6 needle machine PR-620 can do high and low profile caps (you have to buy the hoops seperate, unless offered with the machine). They also offer a frame (tube) for pant legs. It is true that my embroidery business sometimes overtakes my quilting. The nice thing is that most quality embroidery threads also make great LA theads. I'll stop now but feel free to email me if you have more questions.

I have a commercial machine, a Melco AmayaXT. 16 needles. I don't have anything to compare it to...but I'm very pleased with it. Like anything, the machine and software aren't the only expenses. Not much learning curve on the machine or software, but for me there is a learning curve on the industry...I didn't know much about it. Right now, lots of people are selling embroidery machines because the economy is pushing them over the edge...so it's a great time to buy if your situation is right.

You're welcome to contact me if you have any questions.

Anita

plubota@yahoo.com

Archived