Penguin's Invade Florida

I have the pattern and all the fabric to do this quilt too. My niece is in grad school and I plan to make it for her PhD graduation gift. She is a penguin collector. I love the Carol Morrissey designs. My "Clown School" quilt was one of Carol's. You did a fantastic job of quilting on your quilt. I'll have to bookmark this site so when I get around to doing my "Standing Room Only" I have your quilting to inspire me.

Pamela

Thank you all for the kind words. Wasn't so sure I wanted to show this one around, but now I'm glad I did. It's the same ole' thing - always seeing my boo boo's and not the quilt as a whole. Most important though is my son finally seen it and he loves it and that's what really counts.

Jolene, this is simply a beautiful piece of work -- both your applique and your quilting make it very stunning. After watching the movie/documentary "March of the Penguins" I have such a new appreciation and admiration for the penguin and tend to be noticing them more often. Thanks for sharing, Helen.

Applique on my Millie - the bodies of the penguins are large 12" - about 18", I used steam a seam lite and adhered all the pieces to the background - the center piece was one large piece involving about 7 - 8 of the penguins. Placed the borders on and loaded it up on my millie, starting from the top penguin I stitched him down around the edges, then filled the black area and just went through all the penguins, after wards I filled in the background - this included the white body parts, beaks, chest and the actual background. I used bottom line top and bobbin, only had two thread color changes - First black and then finished the rest in white, I had very few starts and stops since I just went from one area to the next. By handling the pieced top carefully and securing the penguins the top was stable throughout the quilting process. The edges cause a raw edge effect, but I quilted very close to each edge, so there very secure.

Archived