Alto's Quilt Cut?

LauraJ

Our quilt shop bought one and uses it to make Jelly Rolls. One thing I will have to caution her about is making sure the fabric has no wrinkles in it and to make sure it is folded straight. I bought one and there are little "V"s in almost all the strips and some have wrinkles that distort the measurement.

I have had one for a number of years and don't use it. I have the original one and found that the little arm (for want of a better description) that measures the width of the fabric strips is not accurate and the strips were not consistent in size. The arm on mine is flexible and it is difficult to make an accurate measurement. I do know that there is an updated version being sold now but I wasn't willing to pay an additional fee to buy a new arm. I don't feel that mine was worth the money.

Sue

I have one and use it sometimes. I love the mat that came with it and use that always! I just get going and don't take the time to line it all up. I use my regular ruler to measure and then slide the arm right up next to the ruler. This solves the problem of the little play it does have. If I use it I do like it. It is especially handy if you have to cut tons of squares or hst.

I too have one and seldom use it. My reasons for not uising it are: It's too heavy, takes up too much room on the table and I don't like to use it for a lot of things because the rulers I use get tangled on the edges.. the mentioned play in the guide and thus wonky cuts.. and too often I need the full table for whatever I'm doing. Can't lift it myself so it's always a problem. Would love to sell it. I think I'll stick it on Craigs list for local pickup. Too darned heavy to ship.

RitaR

Archived