What extended base you do like?

I have the Hartley extended base and the two rulers that came with it. I prefer a shorter ruler, so never used the ones that came with it.

I am wondering about the Ruler Mate that Donita Reeves sells on her web site. It would stay on "permanently" rather taking it off like the big Hartley base.

I think the older Ruler Mates were put on with screws when you remove your base plate, but it looks like the new ones attach differently with a strap and a latch under the machine.

I'm hoping people will chime in and tell me what base you

have, what base you wish you had, and what features you like .

I'm thinking about buying the Donita Reeves' ruler, but don't want to make an expensive mistake. The Hartley base seems too large to keep on all the time, and I am tired of putting it on and taking it off so many times on the same quilt. But, is the Ruler Mate going to be a pain to quilt with if you leave it on all the time?

I will appreciate your feedback. Thank you,

Sandy

I have had both bases and am currently using the Hartley base. I liked the Ruler Mate and used it until I recently upgraded to a Millennium when I got a Hartley base. The Ruler Mate screws on and could be left on permanently, although you may have to raise up your first roller to accommodate it. But it is not a big deal to raise the roller, nor is it a big deal to unscrew the base if you want to take it on and off. You could leave it on all the time with no problem. As long as it has room under the first roller, you don't even know it's on. By the way, it occurs to me that I still have my Ruler Mate for the Liberty which I would sell for half price if you wanted it.

I have both and never put the Hartley on. The RulerMate is on all of the time. The thing I didn't like about the Hartley was the cut out where the needle plate is. I'd get my ruler hung up on that spot. It was also quite a bit thicker and the roller would have to be raiser a little more for the Hartley to glide under the roller.

I have both and use both b/c I have multiple machines. I have Donita's on my Freedom and I use Hartley on my Millie. I just ordered one from Off the Edge for my Ult. I.

I am considering having one custom made for my Freedom and my Ult. I. I rent my Millie so the Hartley works fine for that. I do a lot of SID.

If I get the custom done I'll let you know how it works and I'll let you know about the one from OTE.

Sandra

Originally posted by Laurie

Would someone who has the Ruler Mate base on all the time be willing to show a photo of it? Does it replace the throat plate or go over it?

Laurie...it actually replaces the throat plate..... I can take a picture of mine for you, but I have a totally different machine...it would look the same from the top, but underneath it will be cut out a bit different to give room for the thread cutter.

Archived