HAPPY DANCE

Well I finally finished frogging the king size top, :P:P Wild flowers. About 30hrs of frogging. Thanks to some of the ladies from my quilt guild, I did have some company. Although I couldn't tame this beast, I did survive to quilt another day. It goes back tomorrow, and unless she changes her mind about the backing, I won't be seeing it again. With a different backing I would try again, but not this backing. HAPPY DANCE, HAPPY DANCE, HAPPY DANCE.:P:P:D:D:P:P:D:D. Just a little happy here , can you tell!

Shana, I had almost half the quilt done, and the backing was causing rolls and pulls, I couldn't fix it, and was not going to give it back to the customer lookig like that, so ended up frogging the whole thing, Commissioned quilt, and customers choice of backing so I couldn't change it.

I am cross eyed, but not mad. I learned so much from this quilt. I am just glad I am finished frogging and can take it back before something awful happened to it

Still doing the happy dance!

I did some frogging on my log cabin, and it's not fun. I sometimes regret doing it because of the wear and tear on the fabric. Some fabrics don't show it at all, and some are unforgiveable.

With that much frogging, 30 hours!!, how did your fabric hold up? eeekkk:o

Kim, yup! King size batik top with minkee backing. The top was beautiful, perfectly pieced. but the back back,OMG don't get me started. Lets just say I will probably never use minkee again, unless there is a way to totally stabilise it. I love the feel of it, and the look, but the love relationship stops there.

Bonnie, Really good actually.Once I got everything frogged, I took a lint roller to the batting, folding as I went, and the same with the top. very few thread hairs to pick by hand. The backing I threw in the dryer with a couple of dryer balls, a couple of damp towels, and a bounce sheet on low heat. After two cycles, you could hardly see the quilting lines, and most of the thread was gone, the lint roller got the rest.

Any ideas on how to stabilize Minkke, or fabrics like it?

Heidi, I had never used minkee, and talked with the customer before starting. She said to load it with the salvage on the sides, not on the leader. They own the LQS, I thought they should know.........anyway by loading it that way you end up with the joining seam down the middle and have to deal with it the whole quilt. Probably the first of many mistakes on this quilt. If I had loaded it the other way, your way, I might not have had the same issues. I will try minkee again, but not on a commissiond customer quilt. Its funny that I still feel happy about the whole process, normally I would be mad as heck. I will pass that bit of loading info on to the customer to pass along to whoever is going to finishing this quilt.

Frogging is a drag, but I had a pickin' party at my place, and invited a few of the guild ladies to give me a hand for a few hours. It didn't seem so bad when you could visit with other quilters.

I did a recent baby quilt (about 60x60) with a minkee back. I loaded it selvages to the rollers. Because of the knit-like nature of minkee, after loading the sides pull in quite a bit, even with careful loading where you make sure not to stretch the edges. On the first stitching field, I carefully pulled the minkee out so the same amount overhung the quilt top to match the width loaded to the leaders. I pinned the fabric (no batting in this) about an inch apart all down the edge to make it all stable and straight. Then I attached the clamps over the top of the pins. There was no pressure or stretching of the minkee since it had no place to go because of the pinning. Quilted great, no sags or tucks, and square. It worked out fine.

Sorry you had to frog your fingers off!:( What a great reason for a get-together with quilty friends, though. They will always come to your rescue!:D

Archived