Alaska Volcano

Hi! Linda, you're right. I'm far from Redoubt (or any volcano for that matter) but if it does have erruptions as it did in 1989-1990, it will effect Anchorage (I lived there during that time) and the international airport there. I remember flights were canceled and a big ash cloud fell and everyone was changing their car filters and the whole sky was cloudy and orangish grey for days. But mother nature likes to tease us and we never know if it will errupt this time like it did back then. Who knows? Anyway, skies are clear all over the state so beautiful photos of the mountain. I'll post a photo I found on the Internet.

Here's a recent photo of the gas/steam burping out taken January 31.

post--13461901163388_thumb.jpg

Shana I lived in Kodiak in 89-90 and worked for Markair (the airlines up there during the time) People would call before they came out to the airport to see if the plane left Anchorage and thought it would make it to Kodiak.

Sometimes the weather would be such that it would come all the way over (Kodiak is an island) but the clouds at the end of the runway (ocean) were too thick for it to land (mountain at the opposite end of the runway).

When the volcano was going off during that time, people called every day and asked me, the lowly ticket counter agent, if the volcano was going to erupt today. SERIOUSLY!!! After a while I could take it no longer, and would just tell them "if I knew that I'd work for psychic friends hotline and make a lot more money than I do now". :P When I was really bad I'd advise them to hold while I consulted my crystal ball. :cool: We were all so fed up with it my boss couldn't even get real upset by it.

Yep, I'm a people person. :P:P:P:P

Originally posted by TracyeQ

Shana I lived in Kodiak in 89-90 and worked for Markair (the airlines up there during the time) ....Yep, I'm a people person. :P:P:P:P

Hey! I remember MarkAir! They had great food on the flights; fed us like kings. I used to fly it all the time when I worked on the slope. I remember many times eating those Godfathers personal size pizzas in the little cardboard pizza box. Yum! Plus free alcoholic drinks. This was in coach. Those were the days! Can you imagine? I was sad when they went out of business...

I know what you mean about people calling and asking stupid questions. My DH when he was in college...in the summers he was a boatman running the whitewater rapids in Denali Park and the tall tales he would tell the tourists about Alaska ...ROFLMAO and they would believe every word. LOL!.Yep, He is a people person, too. :P

Archived