Questions about "Meandering Magic"....

SandraC

I bought "Meandering Magic" before Christmas and know that sometime I'm going to have to suck it up and give it a try! (Isn't that how we feel everytime we try a new technique??? :D)

I just have a couple of questions...

Has anyone done this on a Liberty? Did you find the smaller quilting area a hindrance?

Whenever I advance a quilt I sew down the edges as I go. Will this be a problem? If I do that will I risk getting big bubbles along the edge ( I know there is an appropriate term, but I'm soooo tired and it's all I can think of :)) I don't know any other way of treating the edges and I never have a problem but the thought of a huge meander then going back to fill in has me a bit stressed!

I'll be checking my ufo's soon to see if there is a quilt waiting to volunteer for some meandering magic!!!

Thanks,

Sandra

Hi Sandra,

I don't have a Liberty but I have done several Meandering Magic quilts. As far a stitching down the sides, I have never done that. I sometimes baste the left side (front the front of the machine and then pin baste the left side but I think that is all personal preference. Whatever works for you. I had had a HUGE pucker once on a panto quilt that did not show until I rolled the quilt and saw that I had to rip out. So I keep my backing clamped all the way thru the quilting proess.

On the MM, I do the giant stipple on the surface(being careful to stay away from the rollers), then I stop and roll to the next part of the quilt. I do this all the way down. The stipple is really BIG.

When I get to the bottom, I trim off my batting so it doesn't get in the way and then I roll back to the top and start filling the stipple in with big flouncy bouncy feathers. If I see that I missed a spot, I just jump in and add a ribbon or a swirl.

It is one of my favorites freehand designs and I use it quite a bit. Once you do the first one, you'll be fine. The first one is a bit scary.

Hi Sandra: I use this technique quite a bit on quilts that a customer doesn't want to spend the money for a custom but I feel the quilt needs something jazzy and really doesn't take that much more time. I have one panto that is great for this. It is not a meander but an overall swirl thingy! I than go back and sort of McCote on some of the main blocks inbetween the swirls. Looks great and adds some demension. How you doing anyway. Hope to see you in April at the Binbrook show. We are vending again.

Also, is there a web site that shows Magic Meandering?

If the thought of meeeannnndderrrrinnnnggg all over the top is intimidating to you, just meander in the available quilting field--in one side and out the other. Make sure you leave areas open so you can nest the meander in the next pass so there isn't an obvious division. Once you get the hang of it, you will love this technique--fast, easy and impressive.

Originally posted by DoryJM

What is "Meandering Magic"? It sounds interesting.

I usually baste the top and left side (from the freehand side) and pin baste the right until its quilted--then I go back and baste it so I don't get puckers where the fabric has shifted.

Dory its a technique that Suzanne Earley has coined, and written a couple of books on.....

here is a link...its not Suzanne's but it give you a copy of the front of the book and a couple of clips to see what's inside of it.

http://shop.knotsandbolts.com/products/Meandering_Magic_by_Suzanne_Earley-559-73.html

I knew I could get lots of pep talk from you guys! I can always count on you!

Al, I'll look forward to seeing you again! I'd love to put aside a bit of time just to sit and gab. That is, if you're not too busy selling lots of goodies! I didn't realize it was time for the Binbrook show again...do you know the dates offhand. I'll have to make sure my guild members know about it, but I'm sure by then news will make the rounds. Oh, and I'll have to make sure to buy a spool of that thread that you sell and give it a try, sorry can't remember the name of it.

As to the Meandering Magic....I did the latest mystery from quiltville.com (turned out fantastic!)...maybe that will be a good one to practise on, although I was going to try Nautical Feathers for the first time in the borders.

So much to try, so little time!!!

To Sandra, from Sandra, :) (sorry, I'm in a silly mood at the moment) -

I have a Liberty and YES, you can do the meandering feathers. I did two bed size quilts using that method, and will do more as the oportunity arises.

I used a chalk "pencil" to mark my spine first. Then, after I had it about where I wanted it, I stitched it and then began sewing my feathers. If I missed a spot, I put a nice swirly thing in there to fill in the gap. It looked fine - just be sure to add a few more of the swirly things in the top, so it looks like you planned it that way. :)

Often I misjudged the space I had (especially on the first quilt), so I did have to roll my quilt a bit to get the feathers in . It was very addictive, I thought. I really enjoyed the process. Like the Nike ads..."Just do it!"

Sandra, I just bought the More Meandering Magic, and am anxious to try it out on something. It really looks like fun. I love to meander but have never done the BIG meander that she suggests. So that might prove to be a challenge for me.

I have also bought the Twice Quilted and that was a fun one also. She has you go through and quilt in a basic design, then go back and add leaves, swirls, loops or whatever to compliment the first design. Another fun way to look at quilting. Have fun. Judy

SandraC, yes those are done all free hand, but I suppose you could use the enclosed as a panto if you choose to. And it is in two different passes through the quilt and in two different thread colors. I have done the cabbage rose one before and it turned out so cute. I had seen her demo her technique on Fons and Porter (I believe) one day, and drug the book out of the closet right then and there to give it a shot. I am such a visual person, that once I see it done, then I understand it better. She had some very good pointers.

But it is one of those things, just do it. My theory on most things, IS: that is the way I wanted it. Same goes for quilting. It is all just a learning experience. Have some fun, Judy

I bought the book but I still couldn't grasp the idea of the giant stipple until I took Suzanne Earley's class at MQS last year. Now I get customers asking for that all-over. It is priced at the top of my freemotion scale. It uses quite a bit of thread.

Here are a couple of links in my blog that show the MM technique.

http://ramona-quilter-big-dream.blogspot.com/2008/10/nancys-irish-chain.html

and a post back in June of last year about a Folded Flower quilt with the MM.

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=11507&page=1#pid110007

I hope these help you visualize the technique. You will love it.

Archived