Circle Lord

I am considering in investing in the Circle Lord but it's a good chunk of change and I don't want to buy anything else that sits in a drawer (I'm sure you guys can relate). I talked to the designer , Michael, yesterday and since I only live a 1/2 hour away from him, my husband and I are going there for a demo on Sat. He seems like a good guy that has built a great quality product but I would really like to get a handle on the applications for this. I am currently only doing quilting for myself so I need to see that I can considerably use this outside of a business. I am currectly not interested in the giant templates - only getting the setup and possibly one other template right now (maybe small crosshatch...what'd you think?:o

Do you need to stabilize the quilt blocks still since you're not working with a ruler directly pushing on the quilt and could you use this in an aplique quilt?

OH, i know ....lots of questions but i want to make sure beforehand. I would really cherish your comments and experience.;););)

OH, my. you'e going to see Michael and Kay. Can I come with you?

FIELD TRIP.

How lucky you are to see it in action with Kay at the wheel.

Even the basic package will give you the ability to do circles of any size. If I could only have one template, it would be the 18" crosshatch. I think XH looks so wonderful behind applique. It is my favorite background fill. And sooooo easy with the CL.

As far as the giant templates, I used the swirls last night, the Baptist Fans on two quilts last month and the ZigZag on a quilt 2 weeks ago. It gives such a crisp line without the hassle of a ruler and expanded base. My customers love it. If you are not planning to use it for business, then you can probably wait for any giants until later. But I would defintire still get the cross-hatch.

Janice,

I have a Circle Lord and have not practiced enough on it but I really like what I've done so far. I did buy some of the large templates and find them very nice for certain allovers and I know I've seen them used for backgrounds sometimes. The other pieces, the ones that make the circles are really cool. You can usually find a design the size you need, some of them are scaleable, other's aren't. The instruction manuals are helpful but you really do need to try stuff out on your own to get how to use it properly. Check out the pictures on Webshots (just type in Circle Lord in the search funtion) and you'll come across lots of examples of how it can be used.

Yes, it is very expensive (I think so anyway) and I really need to incorporate it more in my work to make it pay for itself but for the money, the amount of designs you can get out of it are almost infinite, so it's really a good bargain.

Not far at all, Janice. I'm just between Hagersville and Cayuga. Have fun on Saturday (and be prepared to spend money! you will definitely want the CL after playing with it.) M&K are such nice people and you won't feel pressured at all, except for the fact that you will love their product.

If it is at all possible, I would really think about getting one of the giant templates. I don't think anyone here on the forum has ever regretted it! And it will truly be paid off with just a few customer quilts.

Sandra

We are dangerous, but only when we are together :D And when we have our credit cards :D And when you mention Circle Lord :D:P

It seems expensive, however, you will see a huge return if your pricing is right. Most of the designs fall into the higher end of panto pricing or custom or even heirloom. You will see a return quickly if you price it right. If you look at it like it didn't take long to do the pattern so you will charge less....you lose.

If you paid for a Baptist Fan by someone using a ruler and you paid a custom price and it took them 3 days to do the pattern, then that is fine. But if you did a Circle Lord Baptist Fan and it looked just like the BF done by the regular method and it only took 2 hours to do and you charged the same as the custom quilt...you win. Don't charge less just because it takes less time....that is to your benefit.

Works the same as the computerized system...do they charge less because it took less time to do...I hope not:o

Janice, I must live pretty close to you too (Burlington). I only quilt for myself and also do charity quilts - not as a business and I absolutely LOVE my CL. I did buy 2 of the giant templates and they are my favourites - you can get a top done so quickly and perfectly with them - it's almost mindless.

When I bought mine, my GF and I went and Michael and Kay gave us a wonderful demo. I'm sure you won't regret anything you buy. I've already got a few more templates on my 'must have' list.

I too do not quilt for business. However, I love my CL products. They make me look like a fantastic quilter with such ease. You don't have to buy all the templates (unless your name is Mary Beth!:D) Pick out a few you think you could use and then build. I love my feather templates. The ginko and aztec templates are very versatile. Since you are not quilting for a business you may want to wait on the giant templates at first. You are very lucky to live so close to M&K. I think it would be too dangerous for me to be that close.

Pamela

Archived