MQS VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES

Jackie Lathem is the volunteer coordinator at MQS this year and she asked me to post that she still has some volunteer opportunities available, you can probably find an area that you would enjoy and also have a great time. Some openings are for Teachers Angels, White Glove, Boutique Booth; these are also other opportunities available. Contact Jackie at volunteer@imqa.org.

As many of you know Mary Hibbs (one of the owners of Country Lane Quilting) is the president of IMQA. Mary asked me to remind the Forum that there is still time to get your Quilts entered into the Quilt Show.

John

...and it was a huge eye-opening experience for me. Pardon me,but may I use the over-used phrase "paradigm shift?" Well that is what it was for me; a paradigm shift. Huge. I was never the same after that experience. I spent three very long, taxing, and fascinating days (Sun, Mon, Tues) helping in the judging room. Invaulable. That's all I can say. And I was a teacher angel for two classes on Thurs and Friday. That was fun! You get the benefit of learning about the class but you don't have to pay for it! ;) Plus I got some nice little tokens of appreciation from my teachers when I was the helper. I soaked it all in. I was plumb tuckered out by Friday afternoon, but it was well worth it! I left that week at MQS completely inspired and felt like I could actually do this quilty stuff! Ever since last year at MQS, I want straight home and started to PPP on my own quilts (and some customer quits) but mostly on mine. I think I might submit a few of these quilts of mine into the MQS show. :o I know it is really scary, and I am about to freak out a little thinking about it but heck...I keep telling myself that "it's just a quilt, silly!" and try to keep it in perspective.

Anyway, I went off on a rant here (sorry) but if you can volunteer, I gotta say that this event is very well organized and I give kudos to all who work behind the scenes to make this event a #1 top first class A+++ week. It really is! I was glad to be part of it! :P

Great idea - I think I will have some time and would love too!! I am going to send off an email right now..... I was just online looking into hotels and such.... still don't have that all figured-out.......

Thanks Shanna and John!

Shana, it was great to hear you rave so about your experiences at MQS; especially all of your great words about working in the judging room. Those ARE long hard days but well worth the experience and knowledge gained from see the entire process of how the quilts are received and getting to watch the judging process first hand.

I hope many of you will contact the volunteer coordinator, Jackie, (volunteer@imqa.org) at let her know you want to volunteer.

I am looking forward to seeming many of you in the "dungeons" (holding and judging rooms) again this year.

Janet Mitchell,

MQS Judging Room Coordinator

Originally posted by Janet Mitchell

I am looking forward to seeming many of you in the "dungeons" (holding and judging rooms) again this year.

Interesting....... just as long as there aren't any whips :o

Or stretching machines - I'm almost 6' already!! :D

I have emailed Jackie and Cindy (re: roommate) and have already heard back from both of them - great & quick responses - you all must be very organized with this!! I can't wait - Happy Mother's Day to ME!!! :cool:

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

...and it was a huge eye-opening experience for me. Pardon me,but may I use the over-used phrase "paradigm shift?" Well that is what it was for me; a paradigm shift. Huge. I was never the same after that experience. I spent three very long, taxing, and fascinating days (Sun, Mon, Tues) helping in the judging room. Invaulable. That's all I can say. And I was a teacher angel for two classes on Thurs and Friday. That was fun! You get the benefit of learning about the class but you don't have to pay for it! ;) Plus I got some nice little tokens of appreciation from my teachers when I was the helper. I soaked it all in. I was plumb tuckered out by Friday afternoon, but it was well worth it! I left that week at MQS completely inspired and felt like I could actually do this quilty stuff! Ever since last year at MQS, I want straight home and started to PPP on my own quilts (and some customer quits) but mostly on mine. I think I might submit a few of these quilts of mine into the MQS show. :o I know it is really scary, and I am about to freak out a little thinking about it but heck...I keep telling myself that "it's just a quilt, silly!" and try to keep it in perspective.

Anyway, I went off on a rant here (sorry) but if you can volunteer, I gotta say that this event is very well organized and I give kudos to all who work behind the scenes to make this event a #1 top first class A+++ week. It really is! I was glad to be part of it! :P

Hi Shana,

Will you be at MQS this year?

I helped in the judging room last year. I remember you were a scribe. I was helping move the quilts around and hold up for the judges.

You are right. It was eye opening. Kind of like an inside view of what they look for in a quilt.

I'll be helping this year in the judging room on Monday afternoon. Also a teacher's angel on Wednesday and Thursday.

It would be nice to see you again!

Karen

I really enjoyed working with Jackie and getting to know her. I also visited with Mary more than once and she is a very sweet lady. I consider it a privilege to have the experience with them both. Working in the judging room for just half a day was worth a lot, and being teacher angels, and helping at the volunteer booth--what an experience it all was! I loved being on the "inside" and seeing how the machinery runs. Try it and see for yourself!:)

And that's where I got hooked on this forum--meeting a few of the faces that belong to the names here--like Shana, and Nineva, and Linda Card, and a few more I can't remember.

Thanks for the memories!

Janet Mitchell, I remember you from the judging room. I just recognized your picture. I was there a lot in and out of the volunteer booth with Jackie. What a great show you put on last year! I'll bet it'll be better than ever this year. I hear Claudia is doing another spectacular show piece. Wish I could be there to see it up close.

For those who can't be here...remember....we post pictures - often. We want you to "feel" like you are here, even if you can't be.

I have not been able to work the judging rooms or any of that, but have worked as a Teacher's Angel and that was a great learning experience. I have not put my name in the hat this year because I am working, but I expect any day to be layed off...when that happens....I'm in. I want to try other areas this time - maybe do some TA, but I want to get involved in other areas too.

I wasn't able to volunteer for anything last year....but I have worked in the judging room the previous 3 or 4 years......and Shana is right - it's a fantastic experience. You won't believe what you will learn about how a judge looks at a quilt.

Plus (and here's a real bonus!) you get to see all the quilts before anyone else....!! Of course, you can't talk to anyone about what you see until after the show opens, but you do get that sneak peek! :)

I get to work in the judging room again this year. (yay!) I highly recommend volunteering if you are able and get the chance. You won't regret it!

Originally posted by Mary Beth

For those who can't be here...remember....we post pictures - often. We want you to "feel" like you are here, even if you can't be.

I have not been able to work the judging rooms or any of that, but have worked as a Teacher's Angel and that was a great learning experience. I have not put my name in the hat this year because I am working, but I expect any day to be layed off...when that happens....I'm in. I want to try other areas this time - maybe do some TA, but I want to get involved in other areas too.

Off Topic...Mary Beth will you be having another quilt shop hop with the gals this year? If so, I'm in, and can be a driver and can hold 3 passengers! :)

Corey - You can just click on the email link to send me an email. I have a room booked already in the Sheraton (connected with the convention center) from Sunday till Thursday..... I will be heading home then.

I am very excited about going!

Originally posted by Sherri

Plus (and here's a real bonus!) you get to see all the quilts before anyone else....!! Of course, you can't talk to anyone about what you see until after the show opens, but you do get that sneak peek! :)

And that is exactly why I can't volunteer in the judging room....I talk too much....to other people after I would get out...and to other people while I am in there. I just have to say something.

Shop hop - I am not sure there will be a shop hop this year. Since I am working I won't be spending as much time at MQS....although, with the economy like it is, my job is very, very slow. Honestly, I don't know how they keep us working and I expect any day to go in and have them tell me "See ya, wouldn't want to be ya!";) Of course that would free up my time :D Then the shop hop would be on!! Stay Tuned!

Shana,

I'm looking forward to MQS this year. I'll be there the whole week and YES I am looking forward to being a scribe. Any suggestions on how to keep from getting writer's cramp. Do you use pens or pencils? I was thinking about bringing my own special smooth flowing whatever.

I'm staying at the Sheraton again this year. I hope to see you all there.

BTW. Yes, Abigail is a wonderful, sweet gal. She's a good friend of mine. I was hoping she could come to the show this year. So much knowledge to gain!!

Hello to all of you,

I recognize a lot of you from MQS last year and am looking forward to working with you again this year.

And there are a lot of names I recognize from having signed up as new volunteers for this year.

Bonnie R. I'm gonna miss you this year. You were a great help last year.

Shana, I see you are coming this year, but I don't remember you asking for any volunteer positions! :P

It's going to be another great year at MQS and I can't wait to see you again or meet you in person for the first time!!!

Originally posted by DebFigved

Shana,

I'm looking forward to MQS this year. I'll be there the whole week and YES I am looking forward to being a scribe. Any suggestions on how to keep from getting writer's cramp. Do you use pens or pencils? I was thinking about bringing my own special smooth flowing whatever.

Deb, when you are a scribe, you have to use No. 2 pencils; no pens. They supply the pencils.

Re: writer's cramps... well for me and everyone else, we took turns scribing or handling/holding up the quilts. It worked out really well that way, especially for me because of my broken foot I couldn't stand for very long (more than 1 hour) or it would hurt terribly so I swapped back and forth a lot scribing and handling throughout the three days.

Jackie, let me see if my schedule allows for volunteering once during the 2.5 days I am there. I will let you know if I can volunteer. I am one of those types that likes to help out. Thanks for asking! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Jackie, I just ran across this post again. Hi! I'm sorry too I won't make it this year. I'll bet you'll have a whole bunch of newbies to train! I really enjoyed working with you last year. I hope someone will post pictures during the festivities. I'll miss it.

Let's see, besides what I've already posted about how wonderful MQS was last year, I could add that there are other reasons to volunteer, and get to work closely with Jackie! She has a generous heart and is willing to work with you. She has all the answers, or at least MOST of the answers, and all the answers I needed to know. I won't give away any secrets, and just say that you will be immensely joyful after volunteering at MQS. Give it all you've got and the rewards are plenty.:D

Ok let me refresh my memory ...I met so many people last year! Jackie is Janet Mitchell's sister, right? Oh yes, she is a dear. And, she is so pretty! Really a pretty lady. What a lovely lady that Jackie is. She was good to me, too. Took real good care of me.

Jackie, me & Sheri Butler decided to stay one extra night at the Sheraton (Friday-going to the banquet) and leaving Saturday morning-ish, so maybe I'll have a little more time on my hands to help you. Let me look at my schedule and see. :) I might be able to do something on Friday.

Whewww......

That was exactly what I had in mind.;)

Mary Beth, I have been following what is going on with you. I pray that you will still have a job in May. I would rather have others take your place, than you to have free time because you don't have a job. Jobs are so hard to come by these day.

Except in my field of work. I am in home health care, and they are working me to pieces. But I am not complaining.

Shana, you stop by the volunteer booth any time and I will find you and your friends something to do.

Have a great day ladies. This is my day off!!! WhooHoooo

Archived