NQR ~ Bad Dog!!

Hi,

I just had to tell everyone about my dog this morning!

I know lots of you have little dogs and they have a tough time going out into the deep snow.

Well, we have a 95# German Shepherd and an inground pool. It is covered with a winter cover, but has about a foot of water on it. The dog won't go near the pool in the summer, but loves to walk on it when it's frozen.

It is 13 degrees here this morning, and she stepped onto the pool; the ice broke, and in she went! DH ran out in his bare feet and jammies to help pull her out!! What a sight!! Water everywhere. I dried her off with towels and then took the hair dyer to her. She's still a little damp, but I'll bet she thinks twice before going on that pool again! She is laying on my bed and pooped out. hahahaha

Bad dog!! Bad dog!

We are laughing now, but it was NOT so funny at the time!! lol

LinneaMarie I'm glad it all turned out well and you were there to rescue her! My son's dog, a beautiful golden retriever, found our pool last winter only she kept going back for more! It wasn't frozen and she had a hay day rolling in the water! Good thing we have one of those new covers that will hold an elephant! We didn't let her in the fenced in area after that!

Our Shelby is a BIG BABY, also!!

She barks ferociously and you'd think she's going to take somebodies head off!!

If I hear a noise in the middle of the night, she walks ahead of me until I reach the end of the hall, and turns around and looks at me like, "You first Mom. I'll be right behind you." I think if she was barking like crazy and someone yelled at her she'd tuck tail and run the other way!!

This fall she was spooked by a hoot owl of all things! Kept cowering and wanted back in the house! Big baby.

Heidi, I bet at 13 degrees your son's Golden would not like the water. Course it WOULD be warmer than the air.

Glad I could make you laugh!!:D

:D:D:D:D

Linnea

I guess the water wasn't frozen because it's kind of deep. It was warmer yesterday, and I think all that water did not have time to freeze hard enough. There was just a thin layer. The dog was only out about an hour and the hole was iced over again.

And to think I watched Tom Selleck last night in "Thin Ice"!! hahahaha

• 1 month later...

Oh Linnea, I know how you must have felt. We have an almost 15 year old cockapoo who has never gone near our pool. It is not fenced in and she has been brought up around it since day one. One evening in January, I had to pull her out from the pool (this happened twice this past winter). The first time I didn't see her go in. I just happened to walk by the patio door and looked out. I saw her splashing around. The second time I was outside when she lost her footing and stumbled and fell in. We did find out that Ginger can swim, thank goodness. After she caught her breath and righted herself we noticed that she was swimming. We then were able to call her to us and got her over to the the stairs where we could help her out. I put her in the bathtub with warm water to warm her up then took the hair dryer to her. She slept in our puppy's cage for at least 3 hours after this.

We now have a little white picket fence around the pool area. It is tall enough so the dogs can't go over it and it is short enough that my husband and I can climb over it to get to the pool.

Both times were really scary and I sure hope it never happens again.

Archived