Compuquilter How-to-book

JoAnnHoffman

Well I ordered my 9x12 Wacom tablet off ebay for $359.00. What a deal. I realize that Autosketch is the raw form of what embroidery companies use to digitize, but they have refined it and turned it into embroidery language. I hope to put together a simple how to book on going from autosketch to a quilted compuquilter design.

For instance: How to hook up tablet and set pen sensitivity, how to set paper size and grid size. What type of artwork to use and how to import it or just trace on tablet. How to resize the design on screen so you don't need a huge tablet. How to mirror the image so it can sew right to left. How to make your beginning and endpoints match to make a pantograph. How to use the templates to make motifs and wreaths. The most important thing is how to slop the design on the screen and then take your time editing it. I would like to have samples of designs that have each section marked to show you what tool was used to make that shape. Let me know what other ideas you would like to have in this book and I will figure it out. Thanks, JoAnn

AWESOME!!! :P:P:P

JoAnn, that would be wonderful!!!:P:P:P

I'm so glad that you have decided to jump in and help clear the confusion surrounding AutoSketch!!

Since you are a pro at embroidery digitizing, I can't imagine anyone who would be better at compiling a workbook to help people understand how to digitize!!:P:P:P

P>S> I am sending the conversion program to you right now.... Sorry I didn't do it earlier..... I have no excuse... it just slipped my mind.:(

Hi Joann

Thank goodness for you, how long before you think it will be done.

I learned heaps from Jim K while I was over for the Rep Rally and feel there isn't too much more to learn so with your book I think all the pieces will fit together.

Thanks for offering to do this I am sure I will have 7 copies of your book sold straight away.

Best wishes

Sue in Australia

PS what does "slop" mean in your post.

Hi Sue,

I hope you're up on the other side of the world and can help me out before I pull the CQ wires out of my Millie and toss the whole caboodle out the window!!!!! I think I must have a corrupted program or something. I'm trying to do the simple 3 circle pattern, and sometimes it sews the pattern just fine, but then it will only anchor the thread, come back and anchor again. Then it thinks it's done! I've rebooted, tried another pattern, everything I can think of, and nothing works consistently.

I need to finish the border on this quilt, and have one long side left to go. In 2 hours, I've completed 2 patterns, put a small hole in the quilt, and picked out too many anchor sitches to count.

Any idea of what I can do? ANYONE?!

Yes, I turned everything on in the right order, and I'm getting tired of walking to the BACK of the machine where the on switch is. WHY isn't there an ON switch on the front of the machine??!! Can you tell I'm fed up, and tired! :(

This is the Dealer ONLY forum, so I can vent, right?! :mad:

Dear Darlene,

Today is a new day~

:)

Been there done that, you certainly do have a bug!

Just call Stan & let him know what is happening, he will E-mail another program for you to try. ;)

You will be an expert in no time, but don't give up, it is just a machine, & you may have to try serveral programs before you find the fix.

Please let us know how things go for you, wishing you a day filled with joy & lots of quilting!:D

Good morning, Especially to Linda A and Darlene,

Here's hoping the system is working better today!:D

Why would someone need to try "several programs" to find the right one to fix Darlene's problem? There must still be some problems in the setup, program, etc. for it to not be working RIGHT from the very first setup.

As I keep watching the Dealer's chat with everyone's various problems I am very glad we have not yet purchased a CompuQuilter system. Not being a digitizer or even knowing how to run a regular embroidery machine it is all way beyond what I know at this point. I do know I DON'T want something that I have to keep "MESSING" with to get it to work correctly.

However, it seems to me that Stan should be the very FIRST call when someone is having difficulties getting the CompuQuilter system to work correctly.

Yes, Darlene, this is only the Dealer's Chat site so please continue to vent all you need! Hopefully Stan can find the right "fix" for your CompuQuilter!

Hi Darlene

Sorry I can't help you other than to say go to:

www.sd-stitches.com/programs/programs.htm to download the newer CQ program. It is dated 12.20.05 but has been upgraded since then and includes a fix for Boundaries too. To see if you have the latest version, open CQ and on the opening page on the bottom right hand corner is the version number and date. The latest version I believe is 2.00-7.

Hi Janet

"Janet wrote:

Why would someone need to try "several programs" to find the right one to fix Darlene's problem? There must still be some problems in the setup, program, etc. for it to not be working RIGHT from the very first setup."As I keep watching the Dealer's chat with everyone's various problems I am very glad we have not yet purchased a CompuQuilter system. Not being a digitizer or even knowing how to run a regular embroidery machine it is all way beyond what I know at this point. I do know I DON'T want something that I have to keep "MESSING" with to get it to work correctly. "

"

I think Darlene may have meant she tried several patterns to see if they all performed that way. She would then have been testing whether it was a pattern fault or a software problem and could cut down some time for Stan when he was trying to fix the problem.

CQ on APQS is still relatively new, and I think it would be expected that with all new products, especially software that problems will come to light. Microsoft products are continually being tested by the user and fixes in the form of patches are posted to their website regularly. We are lucky that Stan addresses the problems we have promptly and updates the complete program rather than sending a patch. He also upgrades the program with new features at no extra cost, unlike other software designers. I'm sure the first CQ software did work well but we wanted it to work better with more time-saving features and so he had to add new code for the new features - sometimes new code conflicts with existing and a problem arises. I know Stan tests each new software change but its only when we all really try everything that sometimes conflicts become apparent and if we tell him he can fix them.

I'm not sure which problems you are referring to on the Dealer Chat - maybe I'm missing some posts but I have had to replace 2 parts for a customer and have another download a newer version of the program. I've sold 7 CQs so don't feel that was too bad. There have been minor adjustments needed to older style tables too but you shouldn't worry about those they were minor and I think everything regarding those has been worked out now anyway.

to everyone:

I believe that a CQ isn't for everyone. You don't need to even know how to use a computer and you really don't need to know how to digitise before you get it but you need to be prepared to thoroughly read the manual ( a few times before and after getting CQ) and spend as much time learning it as you did learning your longarm.

My personal opinion (don't shoot me down) is that none of us should be trying to SELL a CQ if we don't own one. There is a lot more to CQ than whats written in the literature . I think we should refer enquiries to those who have them and if that enquiry ends up in a sale, a small commission should be paid. (said by an "I" practicing on being a "D")

Now I'm off to set up my CQ again. I took it down at the end of January to take it to a show and haven't had time to put it back together mainly because of the rep rally but now I am itching to play.

Best wishes

Sue in Australia

Hi everyone. The quilt is done!! You know, there's a reason why my very best friend in the whole world lives on the other side of the world. It's because we're both awake at the same time!!! :P

I gave Sue a call tonight and had a nice long chat. I downloaded the latest program (thought mine WAS the latest), and all is good now. It was SO quick and simple to fix. I just needed an excuse to call Sue. ;)

Janet, please don't be scared off by my venting. It's just like the newbies with their longarm machines. In this case it wasn't operator error, but you know it often is.

The quilt I just finished is for my grandaughter's 6th (already!!??) birthday, and I'm calling it "My Favorite Things". I used a lot of the designs (that no one likes??) that came with the program, and I know Chloe will love it. There are puppies, and kittens and butterflies and flowers etc. etc. on this quilt. I balanced all of that with diagonals and circles. I could NOT have quilted the quilt this way without the CQ. Admittedly, it has taken me a long time to get it done, but it was all a learning process. I had NO problems with any of the block inserts, and most of the circles were fine too.

I think the problem (glitch in my old version) came about when I "flipped" the design so I could cut the threads while the machine stitched each circle. Looking back, everything was fine until I told the computer to flip the design.

With the updated version, flipping was no problem. And I'm a happy camper again. Actually, I'm back in LOVE with my CQ. :)

post--13461897769913_thumb.jpg

Hi Darlene

I'm glad you got it sorted out - now you can have lots of fun. I love what you did in the border too - perhaps you should be designing patterns!!!!!!!;) - thats in your spare time of course.

Looking forward to more show and tell from you soon.

Sue, not so far away by phone and email

Hi everyone

I have just opened a version of CQ that I copied from a customer's CQ computer - it is version 2.00 - 8. I think the one on the programs page is 2.00 -7.

If you're happy the way everything is working I wouldn't change over but if you are having problems you might like to pick up the one from the website.

I'll ask Stan what the differences are between 7 and 8 and post his reply here.

Sue

• 1 month later...

Darlene it turned out just great. I'm glad you were able to resolve the problem.

I too have some issues. Sometimes the machine just takes off running. It takes too long for the abort and sometimes this doesn't even work right away.

I'm new with the program but we need a THREAD BREAK sensor. Just like embroidery Machines.

Also STOP SHOULD MEAN STOP!

After doing a lot of research I have come to the conclusion that the minute a manual is written it will be outdated. On the longarm chat it said that Compuquilter will have a touch screen and new ways to create patterns and they will show it at the next MQS show.

I was thinking of posting free autosketch designing instructions on my website that could be downloaded and updated everytime Compuquilter changes. That way anyone could contribute ideas on what they have learned. If it's free more people would be willing to share. We could have separate categories for doing pantographs, motifs, wreaths, etc. What do you think? I have pages of notes now on digitizing with Autosketch and how to make templates to use to start designs. The templates could also be downloaded for free and ready to use.

This is for Darlene,

I would like to know if you used the CQ to quilt the crosshatching in the borders on this beautiful quilt you quilted? If so, did you quilt in the crosshatching first and then go back and sew in the circles in the open spaces?

Did you SID around the pieced flowers and green lattice?

Pam C

Hi Pam,

I did the whole quilt with the CQ, except for the SID and diagonal lines. In the border I just continued the line from the piecing and then inserted the circles with the CQ. I'm terrible with templates, so was very thankful for how EASY they are with the CQ.

I'm sort of a SID fanatic, so yes, I did sid around all the piecing before starting any of the other quilting.

I must report that Chloe pulled that quilt under her chin and went to sleep with a big smile on her face, after saying "Thank you Nana. I love you!" Can't ask for more than that in life. :)

post--13461897810739_thumb.jpg

Hi Jo-ann

That sounds like so much work for you. I wouldn't mind accessing your website for a fee to get the information because really what you are doing is like designing a whole load of quilting patterns and then giving them away!

I am sure we all appreciate your generousity.

Sue in Australia

Archived