SID or NOT

Tammie -

LOVE your quilting! It looks great - I am sure your customer loved it too!

I enjoy reading your posts - I can relate with the whole photo posting

thingy - we do all seem to have similar problems! Nice to be able to vent

it out with others who have been there before us - and are nice enough to

help us through it too!

• 4 months later...

What a beautiful job you did on this quilt. I have been looking for pictures like this for reference. A potitential customer called the other day to see if I could quilt her quilts. She has 2, one is a Baltimore Album, I am petrified. Dawn Cavanaugh said that I will be fine, I just need confidence - but it's a Baltimore Album for gosh sakes!! I have decided to go take a look at it and find out what the woman wants. She has already stated that she doesn't want an all over design, which I wouldn't do anyway - I have a problem with stitching over applique. Anyway, thank you for posting this picture - great timing.

I usually just lurk, but have to jump in here to say, "Great job, especially for a beginner!" At that rate you'll be walking away with prizes from some of the big shows in no time at all. Keep up the good work. It is beautiful.:D

Shirley

Hi Gramme, SID does take some time ( someone at MQS told me it's easier not to plug it into a computerized machine but then I don't have a clue) ) and the one thing I feel that it does is that it defines the blocks and the quilting. It's a creative decision. You have to decide if you want the block to be difinative or just blend in to the general appeal of the entire quilt. If you SID one block you need to do them all. I seem to do alot of embroidery quilts and most of those I define the blocks. I tend to do the same on appliqued blocks. It doesn''''t take me that long since I do it all freehand with my 17 inch wide base on to flatten everything out. Didn't do SID for the first 2 years I had my machine, scared of it. Had an appliqued quilt win 3 judged shows (best of show in 2) with no SID but lots of little tiny leafy backgroung quilting. Looking back on that quilt I would now do it differently but, who knows??? jeri

Archived