SID or NOT

Ok, first I hope this is a smaller photo. I keep trying and it comes out too big.

I have already echoed the applique throughout the quilt top.

Now I am about to fill in around the blocks.

I wasn't sure if I should SID each block and then treat each one independently or treat as one background and ignore the seams. Either way would look good I suppose but what would the experienced quilter do?

The seamed blocks go around a much larger center applique block.

Thanks again.

post--13461897798174_thumb.jpg

I'm just a rookie. I like the echo, it relly highlights the applique, I think.

But I think that I would treat the center as one big block and SID around the outside of the center applique blocks to define it and separate it from the other blocks and really have fun quilting that center.

Since there is no sashing to separate the blocks, I would be tempted to

treat the rest of the quilt as one block and do some cross-hatching.

Thats my 2cents worth.

Hi Tammie,

What a beautiful quilt. I think I would stitch around the applique and then pick a background design and do it everywhere. It will keep the applique the focal point.

Just as a side note, when I need to go around applique like that. I put my base expoander on to give myself a stable area to work and use my micro-drive. With my machine on slow I can sit and get right in the line of the stitching. It looks beautiful.

Myrna

What a gorgeous quilt!

I would treat the back ground as if there were no seams.

If you have already SID around the applique and in the border, I think that should stabilize it enough.

Would love to see an "after" picture, too!

Sherri Dolly

Overland Park, KS

Micro-Drive handles were developed by Marilyn Badger and are wonderful for stitching around applique and also for outlining printed fabric shapes. I find it most comfortable to sit at my drafting stool and rest my forearms on the "top" roller.

The handles fit around the needle bar and sit down low, just off the surface of the quilt top. You need the Expanded Base Plus so you can rest the sides of your hands on the surface of the quilt and use your finger tips to guide the machine.

Rita, you'll be able to try it out in class if you want to. You could add a block of applique to the small quilt top you're bringing, (even iron on will do), and use the handles to outline it.

You can see them here:

http://www.longarmsupplies.com/Handles.htm

Thank you all.

Myrna I did just what you said. I did treat each block individually as I echoed out so far and then added McTavish and curls and such to the background. I am very proud of my first applique. I have kept the zippers on it to add the corner design as I wish to put the Wedding doves in the corner as this is a wedding gift to the quilters daughter. Chris is coming on Friday to get my CQ set up. My feet haven't left the ground. I've been thinking of calling in sick alot lately to my real job. lol

Photos coming as soon as My batteries charge. Watch for them.

PS. Thanks to everyone. This website is a blessing as I rely alot on each of you to help me from time to time. Seems I ask too many questions but your opinions do mean alot to me. I trust and rely on you. From the bottom of my heart. Thanks.

Go easy on me. I am very proud of this. It is my first of this nature and I learned alot doing it. I still have some border work to complete but I am confident in how it will turn out. There are some things I would do different but all in all it is good for a beginner.

I hope the photos are small.

post--13461897798363_thumb.jpg

Hi Brigitte and Rita,

The Micro -Drive are small ball shaped handles that attach post where your needle bar comes down. They attach easily with Allen screws and flip back out of the way when you are not using them. http://community.webshots.com/photo/109518139/1311424890034244157YAlILa

When I am using my micro-drive I turn my machine down to a slow speed that is comfortable for me. For stitching around appliqu? put on your base and I usually use one hand on my micro-drive and the other will rest on my base and quilt for complete control of where I am stitching. http://aquilterschoice.com/productmicrodrive.htm

I also use the micro drive and a slow speed for tiny stitching such as micro stippling.

Myrna

Grammie, you wrote:

"There are some things I would do different but all in all it is good for a beginner." What would you do different? The appliqu? is really showing off and I too love the rope effect.

Darlene and Myrna.

I have bought an Accu-Guide to help me quilt round appliqu?. I suppose you do not use it but use the Micro Drive instead.

Brigitte

My Mctavishing gets alittle large at times. I like the smaller look. I used a light colored bobbin at my customers request. Popups might have been possible but I would have like to have a prettier back although it looks good just boring thread. I was hoping for more trapunto (faux) effects. Feathers were not showing up with the tan on beige fabric. It doesn't show up in the photo well. My echoing is spaced too far apart also I think. I am very proud of it but will try some of these things with my next one if it suits my customer. My customer hasn't seen it yet and I so hope she likes it.

Guest Linda S

WOW Tammie! No need to go easy on you. You did a beautiful job on that quilt. You should be very proud of yourself. I love it!

Linda

Gosh Thanks everyone.

With all the talent in the chat room I have a high mountain to climb yet. I often look at your webshots for inspiration and ideas.

I am so glad I purchased an APQS. As soon as my CQ and goodies are paid off I plan to get myself the Liberty with the 10 ft table. Hopefully next summer or sooner.

I can't tell you how much I really love this craft and art. I will be learning new things all the time. I just can't get enough.

Archived