Do you wash quilts that you use starch on?

juliagraves

I used the starch and steam method on a quilt with some really full borders, and the quilt really smells strongly of starch. The fabrics have been prewashed. Should I wash the quilt to get rid of the smell? I'm concerned that the borders will go back to being extra full again.

Advice appreciated!

Julia

Hello Julia,

I would wash as well. Over here in the moist, humid and wet area I live in all kinds of things will grow really well, a lot of them not so good for lovely quilts, linen, paper, leather etc etc.

Mary Beth is correct (as is Alexa Anderson) Silverfish, moths etc are attracted to the starch. That's why you pre-wash fabrics but you do not store them ironed with starch.

As far as the borders of your quilt are concerned, you should find, that once you have quilted them, the fullness should not return. We need Bonnie here to put our minds at rest. The idea of the steam and starch method is to correct the cutting/piecing/ironing mistakes whilst the quilt was constructed. Once the fabric is secured by the quilting, it should not stretch out again. (Bonnie?!! Do I get good marks with my answer??)

Regards,

I'm not Bonnie Botts, but I concur with Susanne. Once it's quilted, it's set. No worry about going back to fullness at all.

If you are afraid it will wave again, you could lay it flat, block it and let it air dry. I did that to a wall hanging and it turned out just fine. I used a lot of starch too. I gently folded it and put it in the bathtub with cold water just to wash out the starch. Put it in the washer with lots of thick towels on a spin cycle just to spin the water out. Then laid it flat, patted it in to shape, and put a fan on it to dry.

Archived