To Prewash or not to prewash?

Hi. I am not normally a prewasher, but I may have to with this one. Wanted to get some other opinions....

Okay, I am getting ready to work on a large wholecloth quilt. Top is a hand dyed fabric, has been rinsed and washed. The back is new 100% cotton sateen. Should I wash the sateen?

I know I am answering my own question here, because I know I probably should wash it. But I just don't want to deal with the whole 3 1/2 yds. Any suggestions on how to prewash it without it getting too tangled?

Thanks!

I'm not an expert on pre-washing (you can probably guess why!!:P) but Alex Anderson says to snip each corner on the diagonal--just a small triangle of fabric the size of your little fingernail--and the fabric won't unravel as badly. For the wash, you only need to remove the sizing and chemicals so just a rinse is all you need and then spin. Damp-dry and press. There ya go!

I pre-wash everything just to be safe. Fabrics will shrink at different rates so when piecing you could end up with wonky blocks. And I don't care how well they say fabric is made these days, I don't like to take chances with the dye bleeding. Everytime I've skip the pre-wash, I've been sorry.

I am a pre-washer. Just bought some Jelly Rolls and 10" layer cakes. Now what do I do? Didn't think about the washing until I got them home. Would you put them in a pillowcase and wash on gentle - soak or what? Has anyone any suggestions?

Has anyone had experience washing these before construction? I don't like surprises so have always washed.

Marilyn

Just curious, Tina or any of you pre-washers.

If you pre-wash the fabric, will you be pre-washing the batt. After the whole cloth is done and you soak it to remove your markings, will that give you any problems? I'm sure that you will block the quilt but do you have any tips or secrets you are willing to share about the soak, spin, stretch and pin method? :cool:

Here is my take for what it is worth.

I would do what ever I had done to the top to the backing. If I prewashed one, I would prewash both. I am normally a prewasher, but when I work with jelly rolls and the like I don't prewash them. So I don't prewash any other fabric that is in the top with them or the backing.

In your cash since you rinsed the top I would rinse the back in the same temperature.

I prewash everything , no soap, that way blue markers will always come out. On the jelly rolls and other "smalls" I get the fabric wet, put it on dry white muslin and iron hot. Many of the batiks will bleed, you just have to find out how much!!! The advantage for me is that most things are reduced to not shrinking much or any more. If a crisp fabric is desired, spray starch after getting the ironing dry works too.

Then.... you have to decide if you want the quilt to look old fashioned, wrinkly- don't preshrink the batt, or smooth, prewash the batt.

I originally began prewashing because my eyes are sensitive to many of the finishes they put on fabric, esp. in my small studio. I serge the edges, neat and a reminder it has been washed.

Pat

I always prewash, fabric only, not batting. I use starch so that it gives me a nice crisp finish. I can't tell you how many times this has saved a quilt for me. I do just as Pat does for precut things. I have friends who don't pre-wash but they have had it burn them too. I don't want to risk it.

I would say if you prewashed the one fabric you should most definitely prewash the other. Fabrics have a different shrinkage rate and you never know what you might end up with!

Archived