Thank you, Karen McTavish! -- tension tips

In the APQS booth at MQX, I was talking to Karen about persistent tension issues I've had since getting my machine about a year & a half ago. She asked if I was using the turbo bobbin winder, which of course I am. It came with my machine, along with a large supply of the steel bobbins. Bingo! Karen explained that the steel bobbins won't work in the winder, because they don't have the slot for the little flange that holds the bobbin steady. Who knew? (Obviously, Karen did.) I think I also was not being careful about making sure the aluminum bobbins were locked in, because, if the other bobbins don't need it, it must not be important, right? So, get rid of the steel bobbins, thread more carefully, problem solved. I mention this in case I am not the only one out there with this issue.

Catherine,

I love Karen but I use the steel bobbins exclusively and use the turbo winder. I don't usually tend to have tension issues unless I'm using a thin batt. My machine hated the aluminum bobbins but RitaR's only liked them so we swapped. I did make adjustments to make sure I'm getting a nice tight bobbin though! Glad it worked for you!

My machine won"t use steel either. I've got hundreds of the things as when I started ordering aluminium ones I think people just thought I meant metal, not specifically aluminium. It's one of those cases of finding what your machine likes I think,

Ferret

I appreciated your post. The turbo winder was too turbo for me so I have been using my Brother machine to wind bobbins and I have much more control. I did determine that my machine prefers the aluminum or prewounds so I too have a surplus of the heavier bobbins. Anyone want them? Nancy in Tucson

Archived