BF dumb ?

I know this is a dumb question, but I don't know which is top and bottom on the BF boards. If working from the back of the machine do the boards go with the rounded part of the fans closest to you or the bottom of the fan closest to you. My quilt does not have a designated top or bottom so as far as the quilt goes it doesnt matter which end is up. :P

In pictures I have seen the rounded part is closest to where you are standing, however it seems like I would be quilitng the design upsidedown. Does that make sense. I guess I would than have to work from the far side of the board towards myself to follow the fan sequence.

Jeanne, From the back using the Quilt-ez boards, I have them with the rounded ends up and I start quilting from left to right. Do not quilt the last line (top) as it becomes your bottom line on your next row and then there is no lining up. Clear as mud? I'll seed if I can find the instructions that I received which helped me.

Jeanne, a long time ago I recall Marilyn Badger wrote in a magazine somewhere that the baptist fans should be facing down. So the pointy tip of the fan would be on top and the larger fanned part would be pointing downward on the quilt top. Is that the question you are asking???

Jeanne, I understand the not wanting to get a partial BF, but that is just about impossible to do... SO I start my first row off the edge...just enough so that it looks mostly on the quilt and then when I get to the bottom, I run the last row off as well..and it looks balanced.

Good enough for me Bonnie I was getting a headache trying to figure out where it would end up and how many rows it would take to get to the other end. the webshots is very helpful. I looked but couldnt find the page earlier thought maybe it had been taken off. I am going to give it a go tonight, if you hear screaming coming over the forum you will know it didnt go too well. LOL

thanks Holly, that and the webshots really helps with placement and aligning the second row. I found out the hard way to always check before stitiching to be sure the alignment is not off. For the first attempt it isnt too bad but like others have said where you go over a previous line it does not match up perfect and really does not give a very good impression. Mine is just for practice and I am not going to rip it out but rather just try different adjustments to try to improve the placement of the stylus to help to match the stitching up better. Mine is the R& S board it looks pretty much the same as the quilt EZ. thanks for your help and pictures

The cool thing about this stitch path is that you're not stitching over an arc from the previous row. The only alignment to get off is where the little circles are on the diagram. As long as you are close, it's not really noticeable if it's off a little.

Yolanda

I got my boards from R&S they are 24 inches long. I do believe they will work with the Gammil if you have a stylus to fit your machine. http://www.rns-design.com/stylus's.htm they sell a stylus for the Gammil on this website. Quilt EZ also has the boards. there is another discussion going on with lots of input on pattern boards you should read. lots of opinons and lots of information. Just have to decipher what is best for you.

Holly:

I see one big difference in this last diagram which is to leave the top row completely unstitched until the next row that way you wouldnt be trying to line up and go over stitching and not have it match. I have mine loaded opposite from this diagram but can still do the same thing. I will try tomorrow the second method and see how much better I can get it. This is as I said just a practice exercise for me to get the hang of how to operate. Nothing improves without practice and determination. thanks again

Jeanne,

The instructions I gave are the same as what Holly posted and it's for the Quilt e-z done from the back of the machine. The video from Heidi is what you are using done from the front. Heidi did a nice job on the video.

thanks Heidi

that video is great. I can see the advantage of doing it from the front although it may take longer there would be more control as you can see where you are going. I have the topper, I was wondering how many fans you can get to do before you run out of room without that extended arm. I would really like to get one made for my topper. I have a neighbor who works in a metal fabricating shop. HUMMM I wonder if I could get him to make one. Didnt you have the dimensions posted somewhere on this forum?? Next time I am visiting family in Albany I would like to look you up and see this in person if that would be okay?

Archived