WHAT KIND OF FLOOR WORKS BEST ????

GERRY

HI TO EVERYONE:

I need some advice on what kind of floor would work best in my new sewing room, I'm comindearing the rec-room (my DH is not happy :( ) & the carpet needs to go. I need to replace the floor. The floor currently has old old lino tiles stuck on it (I don't plan on taking those up) & is concrete slab on grade, my son would say. I was thinking that click flooring (laminet) would work, it would probably be warmer, but sheet vinal is cheaper, & much easier to install myself, plus there is a wide range of colors.

If there is anyone out there was any sugestions as to which floors work best for LA.s I would very much like to hear form you , as you already have LA.s (did tell you I'm planning to get a LA. a.s.a.p. Sept I hope) you'ed be the ones to ask.

Guest Linda S

Gerry - I really like the laminate flooring. Every house I've lived in with the sheet vinyl, it ends up getting tears in it. Laminate is "floating" so you do get some cushioning. It is extremely durable -- my brother has two dogs with long nails who scramble all over his daily and the floor still looks brand new -- and especially easy to clean. An added capability, although it is expensive, you can install heated mat under it and have radiant floor heating. I have this in my bathroom! The floor gets wet all the time and looks great.

Linda

Thanks Linda:

My DH says those heated mats are very costly. I had better find out for myself, because I was planning to get some base board heaters installed anyway. I did think click laminate flooring would be the best way to go. I must see if can find a bargin at Rona or Home Depot, maybe a close out deal or something.

Anyone else have input I'd happy :D to read anything you have to say.

Thanks from Gerry in Duncan B.C.

Sharon, you mentioned cork flooring. I have been researching this for my space. I am really interested because of it being soft underfoot and warm. I currently have tile over cement and it is hard and gets extrememly cold. Do you have the cork floor now? Where didyou get it? Is it the floating click together type or did you have to glue it down?

I know, lots of questions.

Thanks,

Patty

Dear Gerry,

We are currently finishing off our lower level. It has a cement floor and we used this new sub-floor product called Dri-core. It is particle board with little plastic nubs on the bottom which raise it up off the cement. It creates a moisture barrier as well as some cushion and is warmer that traditional sub-floors. You can get it at home depot or other hardware/home supply stores. You put your flooring on top of it. I want to get the engineered wood product. It is somewhere between the laminate flooring and hardwood floors price wise. Good luck. P.S. If you are planning to put your long arm down there, make sure you have plenty of lighting and lots of room. We misjudged the amount of room we would need until my Liberty arrived and had to knock out a closet so it would fit.

Colleen

Hi! I've moved three times with my machine. One floor was lino - with cement under; the other was cement that I put anti-fatique mats over and this house has carpet. Much prefer the carpet - less vibration in my machine too! BUT -- when I win the lottery I'm going to put in cork flooring. You can get it from the same places that sell/install hardwood flooring. It's $$ but I'm saving my pennies. My brother had cork in his kitchen. Loved it!

Take care

Sue S

Sam's Club and Costco seem to have the best price on laminate flooring around here. When you price it out, be sure to add the cost of the foam pad that goes under it. The Sam's club stuff has the foam already attached to the pieces. I'm getting ready to install it in my quilting studio in the basement. I'm going to put tile in the area by the sliding door so tracking in of dirt, snow etc. will be on ceramic not the laminate.

Deb:)

We too are planning to build a new home this summer with a large studio for Millie. Do those of you with laminate flooring have issues with noise? We are considering a commercial grade carpeting but if noise isn't a factor then perhaps laminate or cork is the way to go?

Lisa Potter

Canby, Oregon

Thanks so much for all your thoughtful replys, I had'nt concidered the noise or the vibration factor. I just really hate that vacume, I don't mind sweeping & I have allergies, so carpeting was'nt in the plans. Also there is a rear enterance into my (future) sewing room, the cats use this, & the kids will too, in the summer :cool: there is a pool set up in the back yard & I'll be able to keep an eye on the hord of yard apes, that find the trampoline & pool :D so much fun.

How dusty do your sewing rooms get? I'll bet lint grows into dust bunnies fairly quickly.

I love this forum, Gerry in Duncan B.C.

Hi Everyone,

I'm so new, I must be a pre-newbie! DH & I are planning on buying a Millie this year (he wants to learn too)! Our room has cement floors with carpet that I had installed when I ran a Child Care in my home a few years back. For some reason, I thought I would have to take out the carpet and have cement floors...I'm so happy to hear that's not true!!!!

Amen, to the Irobot Roomba Vacuum, my grandson named ours "Flower", our dd's named hers "Lola"! They work awesome on carpet & lino.! I can hardly wait to have my millie too! And yes, my real name is Millie:P

Thank you all for your info!

MillieQB101

I've always had industrial carpeting with a good underlay, over concrete. We have a built in vacuum that could suck up my little dogs, but let me tell you, it does NOT get the batting fluff out of the carpet. I bought a battery operated black light thing at Pet Smart and you can't believe what was in that carpet after 6 years!

I couldn't figure out why I always started sneezing and got sore eyes when I worked in my studio. Now I know! Since my studio is also my office and my mail order "warehouse", and houses two machines, there was no way to take everything out to put in a new laminate floor. My son installed it and just moved one section of "stuff" at a time, cutting the carpet out in strips and laying down the floor, then moving to the next section.

Not only is my room cleaner now, but it is SO much brighter since we got rid of the carpet. The floor reflects the light instead of sucking it in. Cleaning it is just a simple vacuuming to get up the threads and batting fluff, and a damp mop to get up damp puppy paw prints when they come in from the dewey grass outside. :)

Gerry & All,

I took over my late husband's workshop and turned it into my quilting studio. I needed to put down a new floor in this room which was approx. 400 sq. feet. I went to Home Depot and looked at the laminate flooring, which I liked. At that time, it was $2.35 per sq. ft. for the inexpensive choice of laminate flooring. It would have cost me $970. for the flooring and almost $1200. for them to install it. Luckily, we have a new IKEA nearby. I just happened to stop there and they had the EXACT same flooring for 99 cents a sq. ft. With delivery charge it cost me $465. for the flooring. My son put it in for me with a felted flooring paper under it and it looks great. I LOVE it. The room is so bright now and the floor is so easy to keep clean.

• 1 month later...

To all who responded :D

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts on florring, I thought I would tell you all what I finally decided.

I did rip out the carpet (all by myself) in strips so I could manage (the Dh was not to pleased, as he feels the floor is too cold :( ). Under the carpet was some very old linoleum tiles (beige), & other than were the carpet tacks broke a few, it was in very good shape, so now I plan on leaving it as is until my machine is paid for, then put in laminate click florring when the budget allows.

I also plan on useing a washable carpet runner (with under-pad) on what ever side of the Milli. I am working on (I am a bare foot kind of gal). The carpet runner I plan on makeing myself, by purchaseing 4 or 5 rag rugs at the dollar store and sewing them togerther, then cut the underpadding (I have alot of that at the moment) to fit and ta-da a bright a colorful rug that can go into the washer and dryer any time it gets dirty. :cool:

Did I say that carpet tack strips are the invention of a sadist, I can't count the number of little nicks I have. & not just on my fingers either. :(

Anyway, my Milli. (Gracie) should be here by the end of the month, :D & then I'll not have any time to chat with you folks, unless I have problems I need help with. ;)

T.F.N. from Gerry in Duncan

• 4 weeks later...

Been reading all kinds of posts in various places on this site. This is better than shopping and much cheaper:D

I "get to" have my husbands shop so I will be standing on cement floors until Millie is paid for so I was excited to read about Gerry's idea of getting rag rugs from the dollar store and sewing them together. Great idea Gerry.

How are you and your machine doing? how is your space coming along? I will be in a metal building and so I get to insulate and sheet rock and paint and stuff. I will miss my little cozy sewing room which is the garage I painted green with flowers hanging here and there but am sure this will become a haven real soon.

I can't tell you how much everyone's ideas and suggestions and encouragement mean to this newbie.

Bekah

My Milli. arrived & has been set up, :D but as yet I haven't been able to get going on her, :( First of all, I set things up in the quilting room a little to tight (I under estimated the size of my butt ;) ), so I had to rearrange a bunch of my sewing supplies (I'm a fabric junkie you see), witch was far more difficult to do with that very large girl in the middle of the room!! :mad: When I get this mach. paid off I'm going to add on to my house and build a studio to fit 2 Milli's.

Also I had all my kids & their kids & spouses here for Evan's 4th B-day party (8 little kids, 4 big kids plus the parents, & 2 lizards & 1 sister) all over last weekend some of whom stayed the night. By the time I said good bye to the ones that don't currantly live here, I was dead dog exhausted, took me 2 days to get the house kinda back in order, 2 more to do the rearranging in the Q-room (laundry still not done). I spent 1 hour watching dvd's on how to pin & load a quilt, then 1 hour reading the books Sue sent me, still confussed, so I hit this forum and read for another 2 hr's, after a good 4 hr's sleep, what I did get was, that there is no 1 right way to load, & that most of you do a como. of pinning & basting, I'll just have to get in there & try, try untill I get it.

I bought all the stuff I need to give "Gracie" (the mach.) & rails a good cleaning before I start, Then I'll watch that apqs dvd 1 more time, just to be sure I don't hurt her or my dignity. By the way who would have thought that finding paste wax, was going to be an all day event....not I!! Most of the sales people I spoke to had no idea what it was, (to young to have done any house work) & the only can I did find was the size of a paint can, 10 lbs & $70. some bucks, the flooring guy took pity on me & scooped out a glop (from of his own personal can) and gave it to me, so I can get started, I must go to the big city & search out what I use to buy at the grocery store for a $1.95. Evidently no 1 uses this stuff any more.

Any way here I sit typing insted of getting my (to ample) butt down to that (two small) Q-room, & get that fabric loaded onto the gorg. gal. living down there.

TFN

By the by, I went to the dollor store to get some of those rag rugs & they were sold out, so I must also search out a new source for rag rugs. I'll post pic's if you want Bekah

Gerry, I wish we lived we lived closer, we could share rags and paste wax. I am old enough to know all about that stuff. You are too funny:D

I sure wish my "girl" was here and yet maybe I should just enjoy sleep while I can. It sounds like this might be a bit more of a challenge than it looks at the quilt shows. I would love to see a pic. If I could figure out how to post I would post a pic of a wall hanging I am really struggling trying to figure out how to quilt. I need to get it off of my table.

Good luck with your goop:)

.......................................................................................................................

Bekah

Shepherd's Garden Quilting Etc.

Archived