Compressors

I've read some of the past posts regarding compressors but am wondering how noisy they are. I had one that I purchased at Walmart but it was so loud it and it vibrated, scared the dog and shook my fillings loose :P I returned it and am now looking for another. Some of you indicated you had compressors from Sears so I'm wondering how noisy they are. Thanks!

I have one but don't know what brand it is right off. It too is noisy and I'm pretty sure all produce some noise. Even when you use the tiny compressors for fish tanks there is noise and vibration. I would suggest you place it on something soft like a doubled towel to dampen the sound. (I used my for spraying food safe colors on wedding and other cakes.)

Hi Carmen~

Most all air compressors are going to make noise when building up pressure.

I have a small "pancake" compressor under my table that is plugged in all the time.

I blow out the lint with every bobbin change.

It only takes a couple seconds to re-pressurise(sp?) then it shuts off.

When I do a full Cleaning after a quilt, I use a bit more air so it takes @ a minute to fill up again.

At home, I have an air tank that I fill from the big compressor. It makes no noise and last through a whole quilt, but is a bit of a pain to keep having to refill.

I found mine at Lowe's for 39.95 on sale, regular 75.00.

Harbor Freight is also a great place to look. You'd be amazed at the quilty stuff you can find there.

I hope this helps.

Laura

Carmen, I have a little-bitty Senco compressor that I bought hoping to use with my nail guns. It's super quiet and very light. It wasn't big enough for continuous use shooting nails and staples, but it's perfect for the quilt room!

I think they're about $100 but it's a good quality tool.

brad

Its the nature of the beast. All compressors make noise its how they are made. I can think of any brand that isn't by putting the smaller ones on a towel or on something soft will muffle it, but they are still going to be noisy. If that an issue you will need to stick with air cans. Sorry nothing quite in compressors.

After my post about losing the straw off my canned air and it flying INTO my machine my DH just bought me a 2 gallon Mastercraft compressor yesterday. It was 50% off so only paid $50. It's still in the box so i haven't tried it yet but i know they are noisy and that won't bother me. I know it will pay for itself quickly as that is the same cost as 5 cans of air!!

I agree with everyone here, they are noisy but only for a few seconds. It does scare me if I forget to turn it off. My husband bought me a small Craftsman from Sears. It really does a great job. I figure it will pay for itself when compared to canned air. That stuff gets expensive. Mine is a 1 HP and sits right by my Millie and the hose lays on the roller uptake motor. It's very handy.

I love mine. I turn it on at the beginning of a quilt to blow off the table and generally "dust" my area (I is a redneck ya know) then turn it off and use the air built up in it to blow out my bobbin area, and needle bar, throughout the quilt. The last quilt used 16 bobbins and it didn't run out.

It IS noisy when it runs, DH said they all are, but not as noisy as his big ones in the shop. I don't leave mine on all the time because if it kicks on in the middle of the night I think a semi has crashed into the house.

Laura's right, Harbor Freight is awesome and awesomely priced. I saw an air compressor like mine at Big Lots right before Christmas for a few dollars more. DH bought mine at a Flying J truck stop somewhere in New Mexico around Christmas for about $49 on sale from $79. It was on my Christmas list. :P

Great recommendations. I also was "gifted" my compressor (aren't we all romantics!:)) and it also was a Harbor Freight purchase. Just plug in, build up the pressure, blow off the dust and batting bunnies, and turn it off. That way if it loses pressure and turns on, you won't stitch over something precious--like a finger!! I always unplug it as I leave the studio.

Another great Harbor Freight purchase--about a year ago the hot new toy was a big handle for your rotary cutter rulers that looked like a huge telephone handset. Came in pink and then purple. It was $19.99 at the shops. Same unit at Harbor Freight in manly grey for $7.99. It is used to suction onto panes of glass for safe transport and lifting into place.

I love Harbor Freight! Sometimes Den and I go there for a "date "--how pathetic!!;):P:P

Linda you and Den are in good company. Geno and I date also at Harbor Freight, Lowe's, Home Depot, Office Depot...to name a few. Cheap date that I am that and a Taco I will follow him anywhere, even if I'm the one who spend the most. LOL

Archived