Help please...strange project!

A new soon-to-be grandma brought this baby quilt. You can see that it is already quilted and bound. She embroidered it and went clear through so the back is messy and she wants me to put a back on it. Also would like the binding redone with something satin-like.

Do any of you have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!!

front

DSC07620.jpg

DSC07621.jpg

It looks like she purchased a finished, stamped baby quilt to cross-stitch.

There should not be a problem to add quilting to it.

Perhaps find a complimentary busy fabric for the backer, load it and pin-baste the top to it.

I wonder if you should remove the binding first--if she wants a satin binding, those are usually fairly wide so you will lose some interior width to the wider binding.

Stitch around each animal and balloon the lettering. Then either loops or a cloud meander and call it good. More quilting will soften the chickenwire-type previous stitching and strengthen the entire quilt.

That is an adorable design and I bet your customer will love it when you finish!

I have done several of these. And Linda is right on how to do it. The only thing different was I either used a heavy good quality flannel, or Minky to do the backer. WITHOUT additional batting,I found added batting made them to heavy for year around use. Also you will need two packages of the satin binding if you don't make your own. Its washable and easy to attach.

Would like to see pic when finished

Thanks for pondering this gals! I have been looking on webshots, etc. to understand line dancing :(. There are many pretty examples there.

Linda R is correct. This was purchased ready quilted, bound, and stamped and she cross-stitched it. So cute for the new baby due July 4. It has a very thin poly batting. Love the idea of minkee on the back. With satin binding wouldn't it be great to cuddle a baby in that!! Will talk to grandma and see what she thinks.

Bonnie is thinking my thoughts...those little 'chickenwire' holes are only about 1.75 in. across. Do you all still think the line dancing would work? Maybe with just 1 little loopie in each hole?

There are no hints as to girl or boy so if they know, they're not telling ;)

Thank you ladies for your help. Got this delivered this a.m. at church and 'grandma' was most happy. Ready in time for the new mother's birthday. Used a very thin bat and swirly yellow cotton she brought for the back. Because it already had the 'chickenwire' quilting, we decided I would quilt around the animals and then sort of put a 'tie' in the center of each wire hole. (?... a lot!!) Do you like the eyeballs :D ?

I was like Heidi and saw the diagonals and wanted to use minkee on the back...but the customer is always right, right? The satin blanket binding didn't turn the corners the best, but it will feel good to a baby.

Again thanks for your advice...it means a lot to have good suggestions so you can offer choices. Happy summer

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv45/Linda-Petey/DSC07661.jpg

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv45/Linda-Petey/DSC07662.jpg

null

null

Archived