Any "Must See's" while in Sisters, OR?

Guest Linda S

The Stitchin' Post! But don't go in on the quilt show day. I also like the Kitchen Store that's a few blocks down from the quilt shop. I also like Bedouin clothing -- great purses and doo dads. Also the Sister's Coffee Company makes great coffee.

Linda

Bobbi that is something I have always wanted to do...so have fun for me while your there....but I do know that if you can either get there a day early or stay a day late you can shop better...its WAY to crowded to shop the same day. I hear people get a bit crabby.:P

Guest Linda S

I'm not going this year. They're still working on Hwy 242 and have closed it, and I'm always one to sneak in the back way to Sisters so I can make a clean getaway! The town gets way too busy on quilt show day. It is wonderful to go and see the quilts. Do take a hat or a parasol -- the sun can be intense and shade is a scarce commodity. A water bottle is a really good idea too. Sisters is in the high desert.

Linda

Hi Bobbi-

How long will you be in Sisters? If you are there for a few days, usually on Thursday there is a quilt show by the Pine Needlers(?) down in Camp Sherman, which is fun to go to. It is near the Metolius River, and it is fun to drive to the Fish Hatchery, from which you can do a little hike along the river. The Head of the Metolius is also close, which is where the Metolius River magically appears from beneath Black Butte. It is only about 10 miles from Sisters.

There are some nice quilt shops in Bend, which is about 20 miles away.

On quilt day, I agree, don't try to go into the Stitchin' Post -- it is crammed with people. Do go there during the day or two before. The exhibit I like the best during the quilt show is the teacher's tent area. It is on Main Street (which is not highway 20 - cascade ave.), down about 2 blocks before the library. There is a large tent with quilts on display created by the artists who are teaching classes that week.

And please go to the Sisters Drug Store (which is also the kitchen store) and buy a raffle ticket for the Mary's River Quilt Guild. This is the quilt that I designed and quilted, and my friend, Joan, pieced. I hope you will like it! Our guild also has a display of quilts in the store -- enjoy!

My son, Travis, is hiking the PCT this summer, and is in the Mojave Desert this week, so I hope it is not too hot there!

I'll be there as well. I organized a bus load from the coast this year. Maybe we'll run into each other.

I agree with all the above, especially the stores in Bend. Also a great store in La Pine but it is a bit far. Prineville and Redmond have shops as well.

DH always likes to go to the library in Sisters for a book sale at the same time.

Just enjoy the area, it is wonderful.

Jim and I just came back from a week at Black Butte Ranch near Sisters. (Friends have a home there at the resort) What a life that would be to live there!! We found the Stitchin' Post prices really high for what we are used to, but the staff is very friendly. One gal there tried to talk us into taking our quilts there to sell. She said they get 1,000 quilts and 10,000 people...chances of selling are very good. We will not be going this year as we just came from there. It's about 170 miles from us. Enjoy!!! Lots of great classes!

I'll be working 6 days a week for the 2 weeks prior to the show, so I'm going to pass and enjoy having 3 days off! In a row! However, the shop will be open from 10-5 on Friday, so stop by and visit on your way to Sisters. Also, keep in mind that the Sew Oregon shop hop doesn't end until the 9th, Thurs. so while you're in the state, be sure and stop at any and all quilt shops and get your passport stamped. You might win a huge prize!

• 3 weeks later...

Patty and I topped out at 30 shops on the Sew Oregon Shop Hop. We also did the Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show. It was hot, but bearable in the shade.

Quilts sales were the lowest they've had in years, but there were some beauties.

Here is Main street taken from the west end of town. There were people everywhere for as far as you could see...

post--13461902163613_thumb.jpg

There is now a shop next to the Stitchin Post called Emerald Quilts that sells quilts on consignment. They finally realized that people travel to Sisters at other times of the year to buy quilts. "Barbara" is the lady who is running the store and she is lovely to work with. We hope she does well.

Let's all hope and pray it will be a better year in 2010 for everyone!

Hi All, sorry I didnt get back to you before I left.

I used your suggestions though. As I said this was my first time.

I thought it was brilliant for them to group quilts by color and display them on walls that made the best of the quilts, making the buildings and backgrounds look better.

I was amazed by the number of people, surprized by how few DH's seemed to be hanging around. I loved my class with Sharon Pederson, spent too much (not enough) at The Stitching Post and was very happy with the price of a large blended mocha at the Sisters Coffee Company, x 6-7 of them. The 3 miles of traffic still coming into Sisters at 12:00 made me very happy that we got there at 7:00 am.

I would like to thank everyone who worked so hard on the show. THANK YOU. I'm sure some of them read here, and THANK YOU to all the quilters here who share their tips and tricks. Maybe some day because of you I will have a quilt hanging at Sisters.

I'll post pictures when I get them off the camera

Bobbi

Archived