computerquilting

Anne Que

Hello,

I am considering buying a computer for my millenium. It looks like a wonderfull addition to your machine. The quilting looks really neat and regular and everything seems possible.

Now I noted that there is an Intelliquilter and a Compuquilter. If you look on their sites they both seem good but I cannot exactly discern the difference. Is there anyone who can explain this to me by experience?

And I have also questions like - are you satisfied with the computer and does is answer you expectations? Is it user-friendly? Did you experience a lot of problems? Does it work faster than doing it by hand? Did you consider other computers before you bought the one you have? Where did you buy it? I live in Europe and maybe the closest place to buy is England.

I hope these are not too many questions and that you can help me.

thank you and kind regards

Anne Que

Hi Anne. I recently purchased Intelliquilter. There is a comparision chart between Compuquilter and Intelliquilter. It is on the Intelliquilter Yahoo site. The chart is several years old, but it will give you a place to start. The chart is at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/IntelliQuilter/files/. You may need to join the Yahoo group in order to get access to the chart. While you are on the group, feel free to ask your questions.

Another option you don't have listed is Quilt Studio. This is a computerized system that APQS will be offering soon. My understanding is that it is close to being ready for release. If you are interested in it, I would contact any rep or the APQS showroom.

I love my IQ and it is very easy to use. I purchased it over the other systems for several reasons:

1. I have the ability to record my own designs as I am stitching them out on the quilt. Then I can easily reuse the design in other areas of the quilt or save it for future use.

2. Intelliquilter can switch to freehand and back in a matter of seconds with the touch of a button. No belts to unhook, pull out of the way, etc.

3. I like that Intelliquilter is not a belt driven system. Some would argue that is a bad thing, but I disagree. An added bonus to this is that I don't have cords and belts all over. I hate cords hanging all over and it drives me nuts.

4. I like that the computer is right in front of me at all times because it is mounted on the machine. Again some would argue that this is a bad thing. I work in the computer world, and again I would disagree with this.

Hope this helps!!

I also have the IQ - new owner. Everything that Debbi said is correct. Since I am very limited on space, I liked the fact that the IQ is an all inclusive system within the tablet that sits on the machine. Most systems have a screen that sits on one end of the bed plus a computer box & all the wires. With IQ, there are only 2 major wires (the plug from the motors to the power source & the plug from the IQ to the power source) plus a few wires the installer runs along the outside of your machine (very! neatly I might add) during installation. Since the system is all inclusive within the tablet, you are able to remove the tablet (only takes a couple of seconds) and take it to a comfy spot and work on designs. Though it does not have a complete design system, you can create marvelous designs without additional software. For complete designing, you can use many different programs such as AutoSketch, Corel Draw, Illustrator, Pre-Design to name a few.

Debbi mentioned how easy it is to go between Computer Driven & Manual. This is absolutely correct. What she didn't mention is the fact that because the tablet is well balanced over the machine, the additional weight is very easy to work with during your manual work. It is also very easy to remove the tablet if you are doing an extensive amount of manual work and don't want the computer sitting up there.

As to the quilter being faster - yes and no. The computer driven system runs at a set pace that you set up according the the pattern - denser with lots of points will need to run slower than open and flowing. Because of this you might think that the quilting takes longer - part of that is that you are letting the machine do the work while you might do other things. The actual marking with blue pens/chalk is virtually eliminated - you will mark with you needle & press the ok button. So you are not saving time marking but saving lots of time getting the marks off. Because the quilting is so consistent, you might save time frogging - I do. I am anal about my work so tended to take too many stitches out. It is also easy to turn the system off in the middle of a project and return to it later.

I love my IQ and have found it extremely easy to use. There are many, many videos on the internet: UTube and the IQ site that give wonderful demonstrations on the use of the IQ. These are constantly being updated so you always have a "classroom" available to show you how to do things. You might want to look at some of these and this will show you how easy the system is to use.

Hope this helped a little - good luck with your decision.

Thank you for your advices. The tips you gave me Debbi are really convincing and I saw the Irish chain quilt of Meg which is lovely! Though I don't quite understand what you mean by - the actual marking with blue pens/chalk - Meg. I never do such a thing. I have never heard of it. Is it something I should do and how do you do it?! You use it with the pantographs or with freehandquilting?

You have no idea how much I learn from only reading all the forums.

And Merete, does it apply only for the compuquilter or also the intelliquilter? I have seen an adress in England where they sell intelliquilters.

Hope to hear some more.

Anne

Its just for Compuquilt. As far as I know there is two Compuquilter in Europe, one in Norway and one in Netherland. I have speaked to the quilter in Norway and she is satisfied with the program. I have heared the one in Netherland have had a lots of problem. Thats reason they didnt want to sell anymore to Europe. As long they didnt have a dealer/technician in Europe it cost to much for the service, thats what they told me.

There are several Intelliquilter in Europe I know;)

Anne,

The marking I am referring to: any marks you need to put on your quilt for more exact placement of designs. Some people use the blue water or air erase markers, some use chalk, and others use a light pencil mark. These can be marks for the actual design, tiny dots for reference - whatever helps one quilt to a more exact placement and execution such as for a formal feather wreath. Some people never do mark their quilts but I do because I'm not good enough with just the free motion. With the IQ - you will also need to mark (with the machine - not a separate marker) any uneven blocks so that your designs will fit properly. This is very quick and easy. The reason for this is that with a computer, it does not know if a block is a bit out of square. When we free motion, we visually see where we have to adjust for the non perfect square and just manually adjust for it. Hope this helps.

For the borders on the Irish Chain: had I done those free motion, I would probably have had to use a stencil and/or marked at regular points so they would look as even as possible. With the IQ, I used what the call the line pattern feature and just went along the border and hit a button (ok button) for placement. Once the IQ was told what to do, it just did it. This may not make a lot of sense but believe me it is the greatest and easiest function to use to get nice even borders even if the borders are a little out of wack!!!

If they sell the IQ in Europe, I don't think you can go wrong. The IQ company seems to be wonderful & it is constantly coming out with upgrades to improve the system at no cost to the owners of IQ - very simple download and install.

Elly Prins has a Millie with CQ in The Netherlands ... in Zoetermeer, to be exact. You might contact Elly for her review of CQ.

Elly is an absolutely wonderful person!!!:D

Here is her website link with contact information:

http://www.machinequilting.nl/

I do not think that Compuquilter is selling CQs in Europe anymore??? But I am not completely positive about that at all?? You might call S&D Stitches to make sure.

I have many friends who own IQs, as well as CQs--- And they all love the system they own!!! LOL!!!

Meanwhile I had some information from Theo about the various computers and it seems de compuquilter is not easily available in Europe whereas the Intelliquilter has a dealer in England. I saw a lot of little movies on Youtube of the Intelliquilter (those of Penny Buar are great) and it is very informative.

I contacted Elly Prins, I had heard she had a computer. And yes she had problems in the beginning, it seems that all are solved now. I was thinking, Holland is so small, all longarmquilters know of each others existance, I think we have less than 10!!! Can you imagine?

I will let you know when I bought my computer.

Anne Que

• 3 weeks later...

Another thing I like about IQ is that the tablet is so portable. I took it to MQS with me in my purse. I can sit and watch a movie while I clean up my catelogs and move designs around. I can plan a quilt while away from the machine. When I had IV treatments at the hospital, I took it with me and played around with the designs. You can also buy and download designs while sitting and waiting. (Not sure that's the best way to save money)

Archived