Linda's Crosshatch Rulers - need info please

I am very curious about Linda's crosshatching rulers and the website doesn't really answer any of the questions I have. Maybe those of you who have purchased them and are using them can answer them for me. (Linda too!)

Do they just make crosshatched squares or can they be adjusted to do diamonds?

How do you manage the different sizes of squares you may want to do or is there a set size the crosshatching is?

Is there a YouTube video showing how they are used?

Is the stitching line fairly continuous throughout the area you are crosshatching?

Is there something else I should be asking? ;)

I'm hoping to get some honest testimonials (and perhaps Linda could put them on her website :D)

Thanks!!!

Do they just make crosshatched squares or can they be adjusted to do diamonds? I have the 45degree rulers, so these only make squares....on point

How do you manage the different sizes of squares you may want to do or is there a set size the crosshatching is?that would be determined by the spacing between each crosshatch....if you want your cross hatching to be set at 4 inches the square will be huge compared to the setting if you were to do it 1/2 inch apart or further apart.

Is there a YouTube video showing how they are used?Not that I'm aware of, but these aren't hard to use. They clamp to the leveler bar and you slide them up and down the pole to the next mark...you can use the left hand side first do all that and then come back and to the right side or I use one and switch to the next right away..that way I completing a triangle with each start and stop.

Is the stitching line fairly continuous throughout the area you are crosshatching?you can make it continuous by flipping back and forth from the left/right ruler...and then stitching on the batting when moving from one set to the next

I'm hoping to get some honest testimonials (and perhaps Linda could put them on her website :D)I've used them once only because I just got them and had to try them out....I threw all the other stuff I was using to make 45 degree angles away...and this is the only thing I will ever use again. As far as I'm concerned, I done buying this fits me.

I have them and have used them on 2 quilts now. I never tried going from a left one to a right one like Bonnie suggested, but I will give that idea a try the next time CH is needed on a quilt.

I have the rulers that make squares; didn't know there was another set of rulers available.

I think you will like them, as I haven't heard anything negative from anyone about the rulers, and I love mine.

Tonight I posted some pictures of a quilt I just finished for my cousin. I used the CH rulers on it. Why don't you take a quick peak at my quilt so see how the CH'ing looks? The name of the post is Barbara Lee's Quilt.

I used these rulers this weekend for the first time. They were easy to use and I didn't find any wobble with them. I marked the quilt along the top, bottom and sides at 1-1/2" increments to make approximately 1" blocks. The only problem that I had was at the top of the quilt because something was catching the pins that held the quilt backing and batting to the pickup roller. I think it was because the expanded base and ruler were very close to the same level. I've already raised the pickup roller but may have to raise it a little more. Any advice someone has would be appreciated. The quilt that I used the rulers on is a cheater cloth with 12" blocks, sashing and borders. I did the crosshatching on all but the blocks and it was a learning experience as far as using the rulers goes, and I did learn that I'll have to do more marking to get more consistent hatching, however I'm happy with the rulers and don't regret purchasing them.

Hi Laurie,

Thanks everyone for the great endorsements! And thanks for your questions, Laurie.

We hope to soon add a video showing the use of the rulers.

For now, please know that these rulers are just like other rulers you may use, except for the fact that one end is fastened to a roller and the angle is set. You will only hold the ruler down with one hand near the needle plate--the instructions sent with the rulers are short and sweet!:)

Personally, I stitch all in one direction, switch out the rulers, and stitch back. To alternate, one ruler can be left on the roller and flipped up to rest on the back roller until you need it again.

To stitch up to and across/around applique, I use the rulers to mark first (a hint from JoAnn Hoffman) and then stitch on the line. I stitch up to the applique, stitch on the edge of the applique, and then stitch back--stitching all the same diagonals at once. Some have suggested dragging thread across the applique, but then there are ends to tie and bury.

Thanks again--I will let you know when the video is available on the website.

there are no registration marks, but some tape would work...like that 1/4" tape they sell for quilters. that's what i intend to do. mark the lines then add the tape, that way i'll have 1/4" increments.

that is unless someone else posts a better idea/way.

but you could mark the quilt. the cool thing is you'd just make a small mark and let the ruler do the work. you won't have to mark the whole line, just tick-mark the spacing...

Thank you all for the great response! I am really trying to evaluate all the gadgets out there and now I see there is a Quiltazoid. Yikes!

The last time I had to put crosshatching in a border, I used the adding machine tape method of measuring but, I stitched and ripped a lot before that because my lines were coming out wonky. Linda's tool would have been handy to have.

Taxes are due this month so I'll have to see what's left.....

Archived