Towa Gauge

My Towa arrived today...thanks to Nora and Barb. :)

I immediately got it out, read the "huge" instruction manual and then tested the bobbin I've been using today. Its BL prewound and I'm also using BL on the top. Tension appears to be perfect, yet the Towa says my tension is only 10. I remember reading here before that 16-18 is generally the norm to use for a guideline.

So, will all you Towa users out there help a newbie out? Do you keep a little chart of what #s work with what?

Great purchase Dory!

I run most threads at 17--give or take. I start there and adjust the top to balance it. I tell by the "pull force" on the top thread when pulled through the eye of the needle. You get to find your favorite combo. 10 is fine if it works for you. It all works when balance is reached. Tight or loose, both top and bottom. Very Zen!!:D

I'm on my second TOWA gauge after much frustration several years ago with the first one I purchased. I just couldn't get it to work right. But, my friend's TOWA worked perfectly---and upon some comparisons we discovered there was something definitely wrong with mine.

I've also read to handle the TOWA gauge with kid gloves. It must be used on a solid level surface. Stored carefully away from lint and dust.

My second one works perfectly. I run So-Fine in the aluminum bobbin at approx. 20-21. I have the older number version of the TOWA.

BTW. If you can't get a reliable reading from a bobbin, it could be the bobbin, not the gauge. Bobbins can get out of round at times.

Sharing some info. I've learned about the TOWA. A tool I would never be without now.

It may be that the individual Towas are not identical. If you are getting a perfect stitch at a particular reading, then that's perfect for your Towa. Don't fight it--just go from there. I'm amazed at all the different numbers that people report here that work for them. If your stitch is perfect, rejoice and forget about other people's numbers. Mine works at a 300 setting!

In case you don't know, the fabric (cotton, satin, fleece, denim) never determines the tension; tension is always determined by the weight of the thread.

Dory, my machine's perfect setting is 10-11.

I guess it could be different Towas giving different readings, never thought of that, but bottom line w/MY current towa I need the bobbins running around 10-11 (somethings up to 15 if that's what the top thread needs). ;)

Archived