Lone Star Feathers How to charge?

So much depends on what to charge. I charge per square inch and when it comes to custom on such a small quilt I seem to give it away. I have to determine how much time, how well it came out, etc. I would have to charge around 4.5 - 6 psi or a flat rate accordingly.

This is definitely custom to heirloom work. In my area, this would probably be between .03 and .04 per square inch, so around $75-100 for the quilting. I personally also charge a setup fee of $25 to cover design time and loading the quilt, and charge for thread and batting. If I turn the quilt, that's another charge.

So - I would charge somewhere between $150 and $200. Hopefully you had a conversation with the client before doing the quilt - I always give an estimate so we're on the same page.

Julia

Thank you for your input. I was thinking between $150. -$200. She brought all the supplies except thread and she paid for that. This customer is one of my best and she is always telling me I under charge. I charged her $150. and she said it wasn't enough. (don't we all want more of this kind of customer)

I never load my machine for less than $50.00. that is the starting point for me.

Your quilting is beautiful, the questions of pricing is an interesting one. what do you need your hourly wage to be? This was the first time you've done bump feathers so ??? It's not a panto, so no 1.5 - 2 cents per square. when I figured it out at .03cents per square. 49" x 49" = 2401. times .03 = $72 and divided by 15 hours = $4.80 per hour.

.04 cents = $96.04 divided by 15 = $6.40 per hour.

Feel free to change my math if I'm wrong, but I don't think you'll make a decent hourly wage on this one.

Chalk it up to experience and know that you will speed up as you practice. (that's the theory anyway) (smile) Enjoy the process,

This raises another question, Do we charge for all the hours that "frog" stitch? or do we just charge for the actual stitching hours. Personally you never get to charge all the hours that are spent, planning, pinning etc. on a quilt.

Archived