Quilting from the center out??? Need help/ideas

quilter1050

I have a king size New York Beauty to quilt for a customer, she has painstakingly pieced the backing so that the circular medallion (on the front) will fit into pieced squares on the back. She marked the center lines horizontal and vertical with large basting stitches. I have never tried to place a top section onto a specific backing section before. If I quilt the center medallion first, then work to sides or top or whatever would be best, would this be the way to go? I have never started in the center before. Are there any tricks or tips you could share or suggest ?? or a different avenue altoghter??

I have never done one like that before either. Maybe if you basted everything first so it doesn't move then start your quilting. Would that help your problem any?

Maybe Claudia....Myrna....or Dawn will jump in here and give you some good advice because I'm just guessing. But to me, I would make sure it was very stable before I started quilting if she has a specific area she wants the medallion to fit in on the backing. It's just my 2 cents worth.

Renae Haddadin does this and teaches it in her technicalities class. You would have to baste it together, lining it up by matching top with back. I would use my needle up/down and baste in 1" stitches. I'd match the center, then line up the next section and so on until you have it all basted together. Then quilt it. It will be tricky and take some time.

Depends how big...If it's not too big like less than 50" square -

I'm a very lazy quilter so I sew the top and sides down 1/8th inch, work on the centre with fancy stuff then carry on attaching sides as I go down and finally get bottom of quilt sewn on then I can roll it backwards and forwards as much as I like cos you can't roll back if you go too far down with stitching until the bottom of the Q is sewn

Then I can complete all the small filler.

Now, this works for me because I quilt most things to death but I don't know what would happen if you were going to be more traditional and do less quilting

Hi everyone,

I'm doing something like this right now. The quilt measures 94x64. I put the long sides on the rollers marking the edges in the centre longways and width ways with pins. Then I put a pin in the centre edges longways and widthways of the top. Typically quilting will shrink the quilt up about 2% so I lay the quilt top on the backing and batting matching up the pins on both and then moved the top up (towards the top edge of the batting by 1%.

I'm on the last row and it looks like I will be very close to being centred.

This will always be guesswork though because you need to take into account the thickness of the batting and the density of the quilting and I'm not quilting from the centre out, I just quilt as normal from the top down.

Good luck

Sue in Australia

Archived