stitch regulator problems

Check the encoder wheel on the rear of the carriage. Make sure it is making firm contact with the larger wheel. You can adjust it by loosening the bolt that travels through the large wheel and up into carriage. Grasp the encoder box and push the entire box such that you draw the little rubber wheel closer to the larger wheel. Hold it in place while you tighten the bolt back up. (it helps to have two people...one to squeeze the encoder and the other to tighten the bolt.)

I just had this problem and had to get a new encoder wheel. The APQS people had me hook the wire for the verticle into the horizontal and vice versa. (Only one screw has to be removed so you can do this) If the encoder for the horizontal works when hooked up to the verticle, then the encoder is probably bad. If it doesn't, then its not making contact w/the machine wheel right. Also, when I cleaned my machine wheel (Edgrider) for the horizontal w/alcohol, I could see on the black (encoder) wheel where and if the it was making contact w/the machine wheel. If you need more clarification email me your phone # and I will call you.

Thanks for the quick answers. We tried snugging the wheel up...still didn't work. That kind of makes sense that maybe the encoder could be bad. Because the front to back works perfectly. The side to side doesn't even want to start. Does that make sense. It hesitates, then makes huge stitches.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Durham

Durham,

You can try switching the encoder cables as Marie suggested; that will narrow down the problem to eliminate something in the circuitry as the trouble. If you switch the encoders and you then have stitching horizontally instead of vertically (the opposite trouble you're having now) then the encoder box can be bad.

We can send you another one with easy instructions on installation. Give Amy or Christy a call on Monday and we'll get you back up and running (at least with the SR; you should still be able to quilt in manual mode):)

DAWN:

May I ask, how much is the encoder box? I looked on the APQS parts list, and didn't see it.

I too am having the SAME issues as Durham. However, I took my quilt off, and I am going off of memory that it did it ONLY horizontally, not vertically.

I will attempt to tighten up my encoder wheel "again." Maybe hubby and I didnt get it tight enuf (close enuf) to the wheel.

But, in the interim, if it's a bad encoder, i'd love to know the price. THANKS for ALL YOU DO DAWN! Dont know where we'd all be without you!

• 2 months later...

I asked the other day why my stitch regulator no longer beeps. Someone was complaining the beep bothered her but mine quit even though it still flashes the light. I only use pantographs so i have to keep looking at the laser light and then the regulator light so I get off track. Is there any way i can fix it myself? i only do quilts for myself and to give away as they don't turn out very well. I tried to sell some but no one is interested. I have donated some too. This machine was $18,000.00 so i feel it should work better.

Don't give up on the idea of doing quilts for others. I'm a newbie and all I've been doing is practice, practice, practice. I haven't even done a quilt yet and had my machine a couple of months. I figure as I get better, then I'll decide when to throw that first quilt on the frame - already have a quilt from my mom she wants done (I'm only doing my own quilts or for my mom. For me, this is a hobby not a business and mom can have all the quilts she wants quilted for free and I get to practice too!).

There's so many different ways to make stunning quilts - check out the quilt pictures posted here where rulers, CircleLord, QuiltaZid, etc. were used. They are amazing! And you can pickup some of these items used so they cost less.

Can't help you on the stitch regular beep but I'm sure someone on the forum can. Hang in there, it only gets better!

Mercedes

Marion, put a call into APQS about the regulator beep. Amy, Christie, Dawn, Mark...somebody should be able to help you out.

As far as your quilting, Mercedes is right...it takes practice and we all have been where you feel you are now. Hang in there. Post some pictures if you want. We do not bite and we are good at encouraging each other.

Maybe marke your practice muslin into squares and try a different fill in each 'block'. Or try feathers, or mark a whole row and practice a pantograph (they are not my cup of tea, and I find them difficult, but you might really like them).

Either way, get creative and post pics. We really will encourage you along!! :)

I do not know how to post pictures and am lucky i can even find this site on the internet. I do not have time to ppp as you call it. I sew all day for others. Have a DH who is not in good health and needs lots of help. I will call tomorrow and see if someone knows how to get the beeper going before I take the machine apart. I am not new to sewing machines. I have over 60. I repair them for people too. I am even sending some of my treadle machines to the Amish in Lancaster PA to make room.

Marion,

sorry to hear you are having problems with your machine. You should give Amy a call and I'm sure she'll be able to trouble shoot your problem. Unfortunately electronics sometimes go bad but APQS will take care of you. It could be as simple as a wire coming unconnected or maybe a part gone bad. Either way they are fantastic at working you through the problem. Good luck and I hope life gets a little easier for you.

Marion,

I was a caretaker for many years and know how difficult this can be. Please do remember to take care of yourself. When takiing care of others, we sometimes forget to take care of ourselves.

I've been sewing for many many years myself but am finding a longarm is a whole different kind of beast. I purchased a used longarm and have called Amy several times and even though I did not purchase new, Amy helped me patiently with all of my questions. APQS really does provide customer service that you don't find very often these days. I'm sure they can help you and be sure to leave your name and number if they're not there = they always call back.

So very cool that you are sending treadles to PA....Mercedes

• 1 year later...
  • 10 years later...